P500 Whirring sound in neutral when cold 2023 P520

K

kjpeterman

May 28, 2023
Fall Branch, TN
Ownership

1. 520
So I have a 2023 P520 with about 180 miles. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 MX4T at 100 miles. Just recently, I have noticed when I start it, for the first several minutes it makes a whirring sound in neutral that goes away upon warmup. It also goes away when put in gear but can be heard while moving. My 2014 Rancher with DCT does not make such a sound and it has higher miles. Its as if maybe the clutches are spinning when the oil is cold in neutral and stop doing so once the oil is hot. This unit has been used on the farm and broke in gently. The noise just started recently but it has also dropped in temp here to the 50's.
Anyone else have a similar sound? Its not a grinding, more of a high pitch whir or whine. I can't find anything doing a search. Not knowing the in's and out's of the DCT, I am wondering if it is just a clutch pack spinning due to cold oil.

Reactions: Rdrcr and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
when I start it, for the first several minutes it makes a whirring sound
Need to upload a vidgea of this.
Hard to fix a noise without us hearing it.

the wife isnt riding with you is she? 🤣

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Just an FYI, the 500/520 doesn't have a DCT. It's a single clutch centrifugal unit. What is the weight of the oil? If it's too heavy I can see it causing the noise, especially since it goes away after warming up. IIRC Honda specs 10w30.

K

kjpeterman

May 28, 2023
Fall Branch, TN
Ownership

1. 520
Just an FYI, the 500/520 doesn't have a DCT. It's a single clutch centrifugal unit. What is the weight of the oil? If it's too heavy I can see it causing the noise, especially since it goes away after warming up. IIRC Honda specs 10w30.
I stand corrected, I assumed it was since it has the paddle shifters. Technically it has two clutches, but yes, not DCT.
The MX4T is 10W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. I have used it in all my 4 stroke atv and motorcycles for many years with no issue, even back in Iowa where it would get to 20 below zero. I could see the oil causing drag on a clutch housing or similar when cold causing it to spin in neutral and upon heating up no longer doing so. But it is pretty pronounced and just started a week or so ago.

Reactions: 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!