P500 Why are P500 headlights so poor?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I put upgraded led bulbs in my P500. They’re better than the factory halogens but still crappy illumination.

I put a 30” light bar on top to provide really good illumination, but the other night was on a farm road and turned off the light bar as a pickup approached me. I could barely see in front with the headlights.

Need adjusting? Can they be adjusted?

Led bulbs not seated correctly to project light? I thought I installed correctly and they were seated.

When I kneel in front and look at them they seem very bright.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I installed cubes in front for the exact reason you said above (oncoming traffic). I turn the light bar off and keep the cubes on.

221DA06E 7BB6 480B BDB4 E89A0FE475A3

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for reply. I did some searching and found replacements for the factory headlight unit. They’re pricy.

For that much money I could add a bunch of led cubes. Probably designed for distance since the light bar makes the road in front look like an operating room.

01b9a921b7b379b9c05bac384a99ace7

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for reply. I did some searching and found replacements for the factory headlight unit. They’re pricy.

For that much money I could add a bunch of led cubes. Probably designed for distance since the light bar makes the road in front look like an operating room.

View attachment 199021

Pretty sure those aren't plug and play for the 500, you have to hack the plastic up to put those in.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Oem's are pitiful, pathetic, anemic etc. Cubes help a lot. Mini bars on the bumper are popular but I'd ruin em in the brush. Love telling people to turn my high beams on too. They're still lookin....

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I looked today and the P5 appeared to have a vertical headlight adjustment screw. In the garage I turned it from the 2 extremes of adjustment and the spot didn’t move on the wall.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put upgraded led bulbs in my P500. They’re better than the factory halogens but still crappy illumination.

I put a 30” light bar on top to provide really good illumination, but the other night was on a farm road and turned off the light bar as a pickup approached me. I could barely see in front with the headlights.

Need adjusting? Can they be adjusted?

Led bulbs not seated correctly to project light? I thought I installed correctly and they were seated.

When I kneel in front and look at them they seem very bright.

Suggestions?

There are two ways to fix this.
1. Add cube lights or a light bar like @Todd627 suggested.

2. Buy a Pioneer 1000 Deluxe.

Your choice 😉

Reactions: Biteme and Todd627
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for suggestions. My light bar lights up the area in front really well. It’s annoying that with led upgrades it’s so bad. My guess (it’s only that but I sold FLIR technology to the gov and know more than your average Joe) is that the led source is not at the correct focal point of the reflector. Alternately, Honda’s design of the curved reflector was given to somebody who didn’t understand basic optics design.

Either way, the poor factory lights and Honda not making the area under the drivers seat into a large storage compartment with a hatch behind the driver’s door are my 2 complaints/ areas for improvement on the 500. Otherwise it’s a great, little machine.

Reactions: Biteme
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for suggestions. My light bar lights up the area in front really well. It’s annoying that with led upgrades it’s so bad. My guess (it’s only that but I sold FLIR technology to the gov and know more than your average Joe) is that the led source is not at the correct focal point of the reflector. Alternately, Honda’s design of the curved reflector was given to somebody who didn’t understand basic optics design.

Either way, the poor factory lights and Honda not making the area under the drivers seat into a large storage compartment with a hatch behind the driver’s door are my 2 complaints/ areas for improvement on the 500. Otherwise it’s a great, little machine.

Can't believe no one has tried to mod a door access to under the seat like they've done on the P1's? I considered it but don't use mine for storage, actually have better access to the second battery and jack from the backside. I rarely have to get into that compartment which is why I didn't run with it. Would be a fairly easy mod to do, just have to find the right size door and it wouldn't be as much of an eye sore as on the outside of the machine.
I believe this is @joeymt33 mod.

Under Seat Door

Reactions: Biteme and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can't believe no one has tried to mod a door access to under the seat like they've done on the P1's? I considered it but don't use mine for storage, actually have better access to the second battery and jack from the backside. I rarely have to get into that compartment which is why I didn't run with it. Would be a fairly easy mod to do, just have to find the right size door and it wouldn't be as much of an eye sore as on the outside of the machine.
I believe this is @joeymt33 mod.

View attachment 199756

Good idea.

I got that idea from JTW....see he can be useful.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!