P1000 Winch Wireless Hub Installation

C

CommanderDave

Nov 8, 2018
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I purchased a WARN 103950 Wireless HUB Receiver and Phone App for Powersports Winches (VRX, ProVantage, Vantage) for my 2023 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Forest Edition, which I'm pretty sure has a Warn VRX (factory installed) winch. https://www.warn.com/hub-receiver-powersports-winches-103950. The instructions I find online show attaching the Receiver to blade connections on the contactor, but unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't see those type of connections on my unit. I have attached a photo to show the contactor, which has the blue and yellow incoming wires in the foreground. Appreciate and help with how to install this accessory. Thanks.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These two should have spade connections, no? The white rectangle connectors.
Screenshot 20230823 204136

C

CommanderDave

Nov 8, 2018
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep, you are right, they are. I initially thought they were plugs. Thanks! I do have another question you may be able to answer. I've read some recommendations to connect the wireless remote to a panel switch in order to prevent the inadvertent wireless triggering of the winch from a similar frequency source and causing it damage. Would you have thoughts on how to wire it that way? HUB Wireless Receiver for Powersports Winches - 103950

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yep, you are right, they are. I initially thought they were plugs. Thanks! I do have another question you may be able to answer. I've read some recommendations to connect the wireless remote to a panel switch in order to prevent the inadvertent wireless triggering of the winch from a similar frequency source and causing it damage. Would you have thoughts on how to wire it that way? HUB Wireless Receiver for Powersports Winches - 103950
Not sure if u tried the search?
But i found these quickly

Reactions: WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bumperm can probably answer that question

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
let’s clear thru the bs

The chances of interference are less than .001% and what’s the worse that can happen?

Not like someone is behind a tree with a garage door opener hoping to unwind your winch as u drive by

The reason you want to turn the wireless control off is so it is not having trying to receive/look for a signal and drain your battery

Reactions: Remington
C

CommanderDave

Nov 8, 2018
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I get what you are saying. I have a couple other accessories I want to install. I've ordered another fuse block that I will wire to the key on/off pigtail wire that is located under the hood (with the blue tape). So by wiring the winch remote through that fuse block it should be interference protected..right?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So by wiring the winch remote through that fuse block it should be interference protected..right?
Technically. But only one way to find out 🤷‍♂️

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Kind of

Only when u turn key off - will it be interference protected as no power to the wireless receiver

When key is on - u will need to be very carefull as the receiver will be powered on and someone can have a garage door opener, trying to unwind your winch and hook ya on a stump

these darn wireless receivers are made by Deka and Yuasa - they love to sell batteries

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I get what you are saying.
To whom r u responding to? We have a idea tho🤔
Hit the “reply” button under the post your replying too and the box like the one above ☝️ will pop up, therefore that person gets a notice like you have been getting ;)

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
To whom r u responding to? We have a idea tho🤔
Hit the “reply” button under the post your replying too and the box like the one above ☝️ will pop up, therefore that person gets a notice like you have been getting ;)
Oops - forum shamed - lol

Gonna go get my glitter and glue now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
let’s clear thru the bs

The chances of interference are less than .001% and what’s the worse that can happen?

Not like someone is behind a tree with a garage door opener hoping to unwind your winch as u drive by

The reason you want to turn the wireless control off is so it is not having trying to receive/look for a signal and drain your battery

Where do you get the .001%?

The encoding on inexpensive radio stuff is not particularly sophisticated or discriminating. Depending on where where you are and what's nearby, there can be near zero RFI, or enough to cook seagulls (on the Navy radar equi,pment I used to work on).

What's the risk? Not a lot, but some. If the winch controller decides to retract uncommanded, it probably trashes the hawse fairlead, hook, rope, or winch motor, or some combination of the above. True, adding a switch will also eliminate the tiny current draw of the receiver if it's powered by "always on", a good thing. Using a Aux power switched source allows you to use the aux battery for the winch, this is good on more than one count, as it permits winching without depleting the main battery or needing the ignition on (for those times when you can't run the engine for whatever reason, and/or you want to keep enough power in the main battery to start the engine for the trip home).

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Where do you get the .001%?

The encoding on inexpensive radio stuff is not particularly sophisticated or discriminating. Depending on where where you are and what's nearby, there can be near zero RFI, or enough to cook seagulls (on the Navy radar equi,pment I used to work on).

What's the risk? Not a lot, but some. If the winch controller decides to retract uncommanded, it probably trashes the hawse fairlead, hook, rope, or winch motor, or some combination of the above. True, adding a switch will also eliminate the tiny current draw of the receiver if it's powered by "always on", a good thing. Using a Aux power switched source allows you to use the aux battery for the winch, this is good on more than one count, as it permits winching without depleting the main battery or needing the ignition on (for those times when you can't run the engine for whatever reason, and/or you want to keep enough power in the main battery to start the engine for the trip home).
I was gonna use an advanced fault tree failure analysis algorithm developed by NASA to determine the failure %

but

then I said self, in all your years of life when have you seen a winch hook behind a atv\sxs\truck unwinding going down the road and said 0, but we have helped countless on this forum many eliminate the dreaded parasitic draw dead battery - do the math and you get .001%

you asked

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was gonna use an advanced fault tree failure analysis algorithm developed by NASA to determine the failure %

but

then I said self, in all your years of life when have you seen a winch hook behind a atv\sxs\truck unwinding going down the road and said 0, but we have helped countless on this forum many eliminate the dreaded parasitic draw dead battery - do the math and you get .001%

you asked

There is no parasitic draw when you install an on/off "kill" switch for the winch wireless receiver. With the switch off, there's also about 00.0% risk of unintended or unattended winch operation.

I've worked in the electronics field since Navy Electronic Technician Class-A School back in '63. Stayed in service for 8 years, finishing as an instructor at Crypto Repair School (that's electronic coding/decoding equipment). Then a decade as a cop before founding an electronics related corporation in '78. I'm no neophyte.

While I've not witnessed a winch unspooling going down the road, I've seen plenty of other equipment RFI related malfunction and component failure. Much of that in far more sophisticated equipment than a Chinese remote selling for $20 and change. BTW, my $20 and change wireless remote works just fine, but I'm smart enough to install it with a kill switch. Your machine, your call, do as you wish.

Reactions: WagginTail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!