Windrock or Royal Blue

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to plan I trip to this area. I done some reading and know Royal Blue trails are more laid back. I've read one review that windrock is strict on no noise after 11pm. What's y'all take on that? Also what about adult beverages on the trail what's the policy and repercussions? Lastly is there another park with lodging in TN with similar terrian that your would recommend over these two? Thanks

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did see no alcohol on trial system on windrock rules. I guess my question would be is it stickly enforced.
Looking to plan I trip to this area. I done some reading and know Royal Blue trails are more laid back. I've read one review that windrock is strict on no noise after 11pm. What's y'all take on that? Also what about adult beverages on the trail what's the policy and repercussions? Lastly is there another park with lodging in TN with similar terrian that your would recommend over these two? Thanks

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Some of the wilder side of Royal Blue is West of where the group ride was, the place to stay there is Trailsend Campground, from there you can cover Royal Blue or a private OHV area called Brimstone which is 70,000 acres it self that runs continuous to Royal Blue except its like $24 per day per person, the longer you stay the cheaper per day it is. Brimstone has a beef(driven by greed) with Trailsend which is run by a nice friendly family.

Royal Blue is a 24/7 trail system do what you want when you want, even camp anywhere in the 200,000 acres WMA along the trails.
Brimstone has it's own rules and allegedly requires you to stay with them on a multi day permit (cabins or campground) it is a nice place the guy made a considerable investment to build it up and is trying to recoup that with the ride here lodge here policy. He just didn't go about it tactfully as a majority of riders preferred to stay at trails end and 1/2 the prices and ell you figure out the rest.

Links to all of them are here from my ride report last fall: Ride Report - Royal Blue / Pioneer, TN

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thnaks
Some of the wilder side of Royal Blue is West of where the group ride was, the place to stay there is Trailsend Campground, from there you can cover Royal Blue or a private OHV area called Brimstone which is 70,000 acres it self that runs continuous to Royal Blue except its like $24 per day per person, the longer you stay the cheaper per day it is. Brimstone has a beef(driven by greed) with Trailsend which is run by a nice friendly family.

Royal Blue is a 24/7 trail system do what you want when you want, even camp anywhere in the 200,000 acres WMA along the trails.
Brimstone has it's own rules and allegedly requires you to stay with them on a multi day permit (cabins or campground) it is a nice place the guy made a considerable investment to build it up and is trying to recoup that with the ride here lodge here policy. He just didn't go about it tactfully as a majority of riders preferred to stay at trails end and 1/2 the prices and ell you figure out the rest.

Links to all of them are here from my ride report last fall: Ride Report - Royal Blue / Pioneer, TN
THANKS. So in your opinion Royal blue is place to go?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thnaks

THANKS. So in your opinion Royal blue is place to go?
That would be my opinion, I have been to all 3 (Windrock / Brimstone / & Royal Blue) I prefer Royal Blue due to the variety especially the New River Unit attached to Royal Blue all part of the TN WMA. My wife refuses to go back to Windrock, story for another day. I personally dislike the Brimstone business practice and attitude towards the riders (unless you want to give him ALL of your money, push on) but Brimstone trails are fine.

Royal Blue area has more freedom and just as much variety, from easy golf cart trails (ok well not quite) to a few 50 degree climbs that go a few hundred feet up in softball to bowling ball size rocks, you seriously begin question your sanity once your committed halfway up on what is ahead that was out of view when you started, but once you get to the top it is one heck of a rush. there is 1200 miles to cover and I haven't done about 1/3rd of them in 10 years of going there, but I will someday.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great
That would be my opinion, I have been to all 3 (Windrock / Brimstone / & Royal Blue) I prefer Royal Blue due to the variety especially the New River Unit attached to Royal Blue all part of the TN WMA. My wife refuses to go back to Windrock, story for another day. I personally dislike the Brimstone business practice and attitude towards the riders (unless you want to give him ALL of your money, push on) but Brimstone trails are fine.

Royal Blue area has more freedom and just as much variety, from easy golf cart trails (ok well not quite) to a few 50 degree climbs that go a few hundred feet up in softball to bowling ball size rocks, you seriously begin question our sanity once your committed halfway up on what is ahead that was out of view when you started, but once you get to the top it is one heck of a rush. there is 1200 miles to cover and I haven't done about 1/3rd of them in 10 years of going there, but I will someday.
Great info can't thank you enough. The new River unit you speak of is accessible from the cabins at Royal blue?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Great

Great info can't thank you enough. The new River unit you speak of is accessible from the cabins at Royal blue?
Technically yes but it would be one heck of a days ride, From the cabins you would have about a 30-45 min trail ride on trails 10 then 12 coming out at I-75 exit 141, then you scoot under I-75 and get on the side connector trails just past the Pilot station and or Comfort Inn from there you are into the wilder side of Royal Blue WMA Unit itself, the New River Unit is a good 8 miles South southwest as the crow flies (20 by trail) to even touch it. But it is entirely doable as long as you intend to be out all day that is an easy run. You need to have a GPS and the trials maps downloaded from my ride report it has over 2000 miles of trails and covers everything in the one download Royal Blue / New River / Sundquist WMA's as well as Brimstone & Windrock.

As far as riding from the cabins at Royal Blue you can ride all the way down to Windrock probably just over 90 miles one way but it is all continuous trails.

The below pic I highlighted how to get from East of I-75 to West of I-75 from trail system to trail system. Local and county LEO are good people and don't hassle off roaders that act like they have common sense. The TN State Police will issue a citation if caught on HWY 63 that's the road going under I-75 (you are only on it less than 1/2 mile) but many push their luck to get to another exit (to save time getting to New River Unit) using Hwy 63 that turns into a divided highway. The State Police presence is only notable during major Holidays or Events, in event refer to the Brimstone event calendar as in next weekend is White Knuckle Event will be over 5,000 SXS in and around Brimstone, the Polaris event in Sept draws close to 30,000 people with over 12,000 SXS annually. in 2015 the Sept event 300 tickets were issued in 2 days by State Police.

Just wanted to be objective about it, so no surprises. I don't worry about it but I am careful and smart about it.
TN WMA connector for Royal Blue Sundquist New River  Brimstone

Reactions: sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really enjoyed windrock. There's strict no alcohol there as on the weekend they check your bags. Windrock is private owned and private trails . from what I understand rrb is all state trails. What I liked about windrock is they have a nice gravel road that goes thru the park. We would do a section of ass kicking trail then come out to a nice smooth trail to cruise a bit and peel off on the next trail as you wish. These parks are so big you don't realize it's a park. Windrock is quiet time at 11. You can still ride but no loud generators, ripping around sort of thing.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Technically yes but it would be one heck of a days ride, From the cabins you would have about a 30-45 min trail ride on trails 10 then 12 coming out at I-75 exit 141, then you scoot under I-75 and get on the side connector trails just past the Pilot station and or Comfort Inn from there you are into the wilder side of Royal Blue WMA Unit itself, the New River Unit is a good 6 miles as the crow flies (15 by trail) to even touch it. But it is entirely doable as long as you intend to be out all day that is an easy run. You need to have a GPS and the trials maps downloaded from my ride report it has over 2000 miles of trails and covers everything in the one download Royal Blue / New River / Sundquist WMA's as well as Brimstone & Windrock.

As far as riding from the cabins at Royal Blue you can ride all the way down to Windrock probably just over 90 miles one way but it is all continuous trails.

The below pic I highlighted how to get from East of I-75 to West of I-75 from trail system to trail system. Local and county LEO are good people and don't hassle off roaders that act like they have common sense. The TN State Police will issue a citation if caught on HWY 63 that's the road going under I-75 (you are only on it less than 1/2 mile) but many push their luck to get to another exit (to save time getting to New River Unit) using Hwy 63 that turns into a divided highway. The State Police presence is only notable during major Holidays or Events, in event refer to the Brimstone event calendar as in next weekend is White Knuckle Event will be over 5,000 SXS in and around Brimstone, the Polaris event in Sept draws close to 30,000 people with over 12,000 SXS annually. in 2015 the Sept event 300 tickets were issued in 2 days by State Police.

Just wanted to be objective about it, so no surprises. I don't worry about it but I am careful and smart about it.
View attachment 14039

Thanks again

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really enjoyed windrock. There's strict no alcohol there as on the weekend they check your bags. Windrock is private owned and private trails . from what I understand rrb is all state trails. What I liked about windrock is they have a nice gravel road that goes thru the park. We would do a section of ass kicking trail then come out to a nice smooth trail to cruise a bit and peel off on the next trail as you wish. These parks are so big you don't realize it's a park. Windrock is quiet time at 11. You can still ride but no loud generators, ripping around sort of thing.
Thanks for info. The quiet time deal was a review someone had posted about them at there cabin. There where prob acting up. Security had told them absolutely no noise after 11.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Trailsend campground would be closer to get to the new River section?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

One last question Jackal. The North Cumberland OHV Riding Area which is the area accessible from Trails end campground. The permits for out of state riders are 37.50 per person per day. 75.00 a couple kind of steep. I don't mind paying it if it's worth it. Is it worth the 75.00. Royal Blue is half the cost per day to ride. Thanks in advance

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
One last question Jackal. The North Cumberland OHV Riding Area which is the area accessible from Trails end campground. The permits for out of state riders are 37.50 per person per day. 75.00 a couple kind of steep. I don't mind paying it if it's worth it. Is it worth the 75.00. Royal Blue is half the cost per day to ride. Thanks in advance

You must be confused:

First, the North Cumberland WMA is the Sundquist Unit, Royal Blue Unit, & New River Unit combined all three Units make up the North Cumberland WMA. And the permit is good statewide on TN state managed OHV trails.

Second, you only have to have one permit per vehicle not per person. Anyone under 13 doesn't have to have a permit even if operating their own machine but must be riding under parental supervision on the trails. It is $37.50 per day but if you have 4 people riding in your SXS only one, any one of you have to have the permit does not have to be the operator. If you are going to ride for 3 or more days it is cheaper just to buy the annual permit for $130 that is good until end of February the following year.

Third places like Windrock are $17 per day PER PERSON so if there is two of you that's $34 per day, Brimstone is $24 per day PER PERSON of $48 per day for two. So Royal Blue (Sundquist WMA) is right in the middle for pricing and has 4x the miles of trails that Windrock and Brimstone have combed. Only the Annual Permits for Windrock and Brimstone are cheaper but not when you have to buy TWO and one for every kid and 1/2 rate.

Below was taken right from my first post on the ride report you must have missed it:
The fees are:
Daily out of state permit, type 038, $37.00

Daily in state permit, type 036, $15.00
Annual out of state permit combo, type 071+093, $130.00
Annual in state permit combo, type 001+093, $53.00

Age 13 and over must have a permit.
One permit per vehicle, passengers ride free.

Permits can be purchased online here: Tennessee Online Hunting & Fishing License Center
Select from the

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You must be confused:

First, the North Cumberland WMA is the Sundquist Unit, Royal Blue Unit, & New River Unit combined all three Units make up the North Cumberland WMA. And the permit is good statewide on TN state managed OHV trails.

Second, you only have to have one permit per vehicle not per person. Anyone under 13 doesn't have to have a permit even if operating their own machine but must be riding under parental supervision on the trails. It is $37.50 per day but if you have 4 people riding in your SXS only one, any one of you have to have the permit does not have to be the operator. If you are going to ride for 3 or more days it is cheaper just to buy the annual permit for $130 that is good until end of February the following year.

Third places like Windrock are $17 per day PER PERSON so if there is two of you that's $34 per day, Brimstone is $24 per day PER PERSON of $48 per day for two. So Royal Blue (Sundquist WMA) is right in the middle for pricing and has 4x the miles of trails that Windrock and Brimstone have combed. Only the Annual Permits for Windrock and Brimstone are cheaper but not when you have to buy TWO and one for every kid and 1/2 rate.

Below was taken right from my first post on the ride report you must have missed it:
The fees are:

Permits can be purchased online here: Tennessee Online Hunting & Fishing License Center
Select from the
Yes I am confused because I see conflicting information. Here on the campground website it says per rider.

Trail System | Trails End Campground

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You must be confused:

The fees are:

Select from the
Thanks for all your help I called the campground to verify and you are right of course. I definitely Confused though

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for all your help I called the campground to verify and you are right of course. I definitely Confused though
You are welcome, it is hard to decipher what is on the websites sometimes. I have been going there for 10 years and will be moving there permanently within the next 60 days I know the area pretty well, just not as well as the local tour guide that has 54,000 miles on his Honda Rubicon. :D

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are welcome, it is hard to decipher what is on the websites sometimes. I have been going there for 10 years and will be moving there permanently within the next 60 days I know the area pretty well, just not as well as the local tour guide that has 54,000 miles on his Honda Rubicon. :D
Damn yeah it's really enjoyable when you can follow someone who knows the area

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!