BOX1

Assembling the heater

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Took a bit of time this morning to start on the heater for my 700-4 (that Im still waiting on :/ )

I've got a pile of parts now, all I need to really do is put em together. I bought a basic heater core from some ford car, a 400 (!) cfm 3 speed blower fan, a heater switch from a BMW (nice, plain black knob with a fan logo), 2" flex hose, and adjustable vents.

I don't have a way to fully shut it off yet (water flow), I may just add a manual valve- or a 12v solenoid valve to shut flow off. I dont think controlling the temp will be a big deal, if its cold enough to need heat, your gonna want full heat I'd think anyway.

I rolled some 2" hose ports, and fabbed a quick box for the core. Need to do the back panel for the fan mount, but I'll save that for the weekend maybe.

Photo11

Photo21

Photo3 1

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Nice work,I enjoy seeing home made things and the pride that people like you put into your creations.Very nice.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
where are you planning on splicing into the lines to get your hot water feed and return.Thanks for any kinda info on that.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I'm guessing that this is cheaper than the Honda heater or the one on eBay for $450? Where are you going to mount the core/fan assembly? Is there room to hide it pretty well under the dash? I haven't paid attention.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Just today I talked to the dealer about my order for a heater. Said it was still on backorder for a few weeks. Geesh……I don't know if I want a heater when it comes to Spring. I just don't get Honda. Why would they not have some of these accessories ready to go. Same goes for doors and winches (of all things!).

Do I have to go shopping for an aftermarket heater and save a few dollars over what they are gonna soak me. I'd rather not…..and I'd like one that is engineered to fit right…...but they gotta do their part here. Ya know….I'm trying to spend about 3k on accessories….but they need to do better no this stuff. I simply don't feel like waiting…..and they are not ready to go on these items.

I know its not just Honda……they all seem the same. You'd think somebody could plan better. SSDD. I thought Honda was better than this. I expect more. It just gets old.

OK….rant over. :D

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I here ya! I have a winch mount kit that ive been waiting for and a front bumper . One constellation is im not waiting for the machine itself anymore

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
binfordw,
This is cool that you are able to build this. It saves a lot of money for sure. I'm sure it will run out of the cab once you get it going.
Good job and thanks for the pics.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
binfordw,
This is cool that you are able to build this. It saves a lot of money for sure. I'm sure it will run out of the cab once you get it going.
Good job and thanks for the pics.

I second this thought it looks awesome! I wish I still had the metal working tools at my disposal to do what you're doing. I am relegated to buying the Honda heater.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I have about $140 in all the parts, so its a great deal cheaper for the same thing.

I need to get the Honda before I can decide where to "T" in at lol. I assume it will be fairly straightforward. The unit will mount under the hood, in the space between radiator and cab.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
binfordw said:
I have about $140 in all the parts, so its a great deal cheaper for the same thing.

I need to get the Honda before I can decide where to "T" in at lol. I assume it will be fairly straightforward. The unit will mount under the hood, in the space between radiator and cab.
So.... You are working on this and you have not even picked your Pioneer yet? I guess no better way to kill some time so you will be ready to slap it in vs having to ride in the cold without.
Can't wait to see the final product. It already looks better then Hondas.
Great job.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Yep. Been waiting for over a month since I placed my deposit. Keep getting jerked around on delivery dates. On the plus side, I think I might have the soft doors by the time the machine arrives, so I'll have all accessories and wont have to do anymore waiting. Except of course finding time to install everything.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
binfordw, The dealer did the same thing to me, It will be in next week, than the next week. Not sure how many weeks it was as I have mine now, What gets me now is having to wait on all the accessories, I'm still waiting on the winch mount and heater. But what really get's me is that these are on e-bay now. I'd order them from e-bay but it was part of the deal it got so they are already paid for.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Since I've had ample time waiting for my pioneer, I was able to take a little time to finish (more or less) my heater unit.

Still need to find some foam to brace the heater core and protect it a bit from jarring around. Also will save the cleanup and painting until I add mounts. Not sure how it will attach yet.

Photo22

Photo12

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
binfordw said:
Yep. Been waiting for over a month since I placed my deposit. Keep getting jerked around on delivery dates. On the plus side, I think I might have the soft doors by the time the machine arrives, so I'll have all accessories and wont have to do anymore waiting. Except of course finding time to install everything.

I've also been waiting for my soft doors to arrive at the dealer…..as well as a heater. Did you have a ship date on the soft doors to report? I'm getting anxious to get the doors and heater installed soon. (It's getting cold here!!)

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
No foggy, Just the same old dance- The date most are claiming seems to fit with what my dealer hinted, about mid Dec. I really hope to get them by Christmas, but I'll be happy just to finally get the machine!!

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Had a little time this morning to start on mounting the heater. I had cut a dash panel out of .125" SS a week ago or so, to fit 2 adjustable vents, winch switches and a heater fan knob. I have 2 Acc switches I wanted to use, but the panels position really didnt leave room, If I need them later I'll prob mount them where hondas plate goes. The panel still needs polished up, and mount holes drilled. I also need to cut more away from the plastic to get it to fit with the heater tubes installed.

The dash is not mounted in this pic, just laying close!

Photo13

The unit itself is a tight fit under the hood. I've got all 4 ducts ran to the places they need to go, 2 are hooked up in the dash panel, and the other 2 will go to larger vents under the dash for the floorboard heat. I tested the dash vents, theres alot of air available! If the heat will keep up with the airflow, it will be WARM when I finally get my front doors in.

Photo23

I'm to the point I need to cut my hoses and splice in, a tad reluctant to do so still for some reason. I still havent found proper reducing "tees", the heater core I used is 3/4" hose, all I've managed to find are 5/8". I have some less desirable options onhand however.

If I can get this done and over with, I can put more time into my winch install! I have been working on a full bumper/ winch mount in CAD, it seems about just as easy as trying to make a mount to fit the awkward space available to me. Struggling a bit with getting the geometry laid out to plasma cut, as the bumper has multiple angles to follow the stock tube bumpers lines. Hopefully I can finish the CAD work soon and get something tacked together to check the angles and fit.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Binford can you provide a parts list with part numbers/models they were salvaged from?

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
I have to give Honda two thumbs up on their add on items. I have installed the winch and mount, the light bar, the accessory switch panel and fuse box, the rear bumper, the Bimini top, size mirrors and half windshield, and in all cases they are top quality. The instructions provided have been well thought out and everything fit perfect. I spoke to someone at the dealership yesterday and they came out to look at my winch installation because they were having trouble installing a aftermarket version. Kudos to fabricating, which I also do sometimes, but for me and these items, Honda rocks! I did find skid plates that I ordered on eBay that are half the cost of Honda, both are aluminum.

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
Binfordw, great job on the heater and thanks for all the pics and details. I may go that route to save a couple hundred

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!