Lack of Power

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I love my Pioneer 700 but it definitely needs more power where I ride, I'd say at least 10% to 20% more as a minimum. Any proven solutions out there? I'd like to go with bigger tires but don't dare, it doesn't have enough power now. Has anyone tried a aftermarket chip?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello Lynn, glad to have join the community.
As for power. Ya I think we all agree a bit more power would be nice to have.
As for the power chip programmer. We are waiting for the first reports to come in from whoever wants to try it out.
I hope it provides the power we are looking for.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does it not have enough power for?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Cheapest solution is to install the 24" Pioneer tires. The 500 and 700 use the same wheels and there will be lots of takeoffs available. I needed more top speed and just installed the 30 inch GBC mongrels. My top speed increased from 43 mph to 52 mph on my GPS. No problem on the steep hills and I can cruise from 35 to 45 mph in the fast sections and be at 6,000 rpm at 45 mph. Red line is 6,800 or maybe 6,750 not sure with my tach. When my speedo reads 39 mph I'm doing 45. No problem stopping on the real steep hills here at 7,500 feet.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
It doesn't have enough power for long steep climbs. it will power out in low gear. admittedly I don't have this problem on every ride but when I start up a climb I'd like to know I can make it and not be in a panic situation trying to back down without going sideways or off the trail. As for smaller tires I realize it would give me more power, but then in snow it reduces my ground clearance and I'll be stuck more than I am now. I need larger tires and more power to compensate for the larger tires.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Well your out of luck with the Pioneer. Honda will announce some Sport Models before long. If you can't wait the 2015 Polaris Ranger has 68 hp but the build quality is poor and it has a few design problems that need to be fixed. Plan on spending $5,000 in repairs and maintenance for every 10,000 miles of use. Top speed is 62 mph. I had a 2013 Ranger 900 but it had too many failures. I fixed all the problems and sold it. It does have very good suspension, lots of HP, and is very quiet.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Thanks Hondabob your making me cry. I'm a Honda guy so I'll just live with it. I think aftermarket parts people will start offering solutions one of these days. In the mean time I'll try some of my own idea's. I love Honda quality, I never have a break down or a problem that requires going to the service dept. 40 years of Honda equipment has sold me.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I bought my 2005 Rhino in late 2004. The Rhino's had problem but they were easy to fix. I'm way too old to wait and have enjoyed 52,000 miles in side by sides. The Pioneer 700 is my 9th side by side and I still have my 2011 RZR 900. I don’t use it much except on the fast paced rides with friends and I always take a tow strap, it has over 9,600 miles. It has too many problems and repairs to mention but I keep it in tip top shape.

I bought the 2 seat model for the 140 pound lighter weight and geared it up so I could cruise at 45 mph without being above the power peak. On the fast sections I cruise between 40 to 45 and stay under 6,000 rpm. This Pioneer will get me by until I can buy a reliable sport model from Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha.

I’m running 30 inch GBC Mongrels on 14 inch bead lock wheels with a top speed of 51 on the flats. It holds the hills good at 4,500 to 6,000 rpm in the peak power range. Red line is 6,800. The 30’s don’t clear at full lock and when the suspension is compressed so I don’t recommend them but I really like the ground clearance for rock crawling.

The 2015 Pioneer may have the twin spark plug cylinder head and an oxygen sensor for better emissions and gas mileage but it will have the same HP at about 36.5.

Honda and Yamaha will have Sport Models with good build quality and I expect Honda will announce sport models this year.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I asked the salesman I bought mine from. Younger guy that's into dirt bikes. Hes says he's real good friends with the Honda rep and asked about a sporty sxs from Honda. And was told it won't happen. Honda will stay clear of hi performance sxs. They have no intrest in it. Hope he's wrong, he does too!

Reactions: HoytCRX32

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!