Big Gun Exhaust Issue!

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Warning: After running my Big Gun EVO exhaust system for a month, here's what happened. The header pipe cracked and split open. I think it's obvious what happened Big Gun does not incorporate a support mid way as does the factory system, so with weight and vibration the metal fatigues and causes the header pipe to fail. I've e-mailed Big Gun asking for a refund and pointed out there design flaw. We'll see what happens. Please don't make the same costly mistake that I just did. I re-installed the factory system after welding it up. This should maybe on a separate post so everyone can see it and avoid the grief I've experienced.

Attachments

• 2014-11-17 09.18.38.jpg
    2014-11-17 09.18.38.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 2014-11-17 09.18.51.jpg
    2014-11-17 09.18.51.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 2014-11-17 13.44.41.jpg
    2014-11-17 13.44.41.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 1,100
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Wow that is crazy. Looks like a major design flaw. Don't think I will be going with big gun. Although yoshimura is most expensive I know they build quality products. I will be looking into them. Thanks for the info.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Maybe fab up a support where the factory one was.... Thats a lot of pipe just hanging from the head to the muffler supports. Sorry about the exhaust failure. I've enjoyed your posts Lynn. I hope you can resolve that issue. I'm defiantly going to install an exhaust kit on my sxs and was looking at the HMF swamp series. I like the fact that the kit is stainless steel and only a few decibels louder than stock. A few extra ponies and foot lbs of torque are always nice. I've found that riding at 7700 feet elevation a lil' more oomph would be nice. I'm new to the forum but have been reading it for the past year. I bought my Pioneer this past March and have logged 1k miles. I have benefitted greatly from this forum "stealing" ideas from the people on here. So many roads and trails so little time......

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well Lynn, That sucks, I was looking through your pictures a few weeks back and noticed the brace was gone. I thought about asking but did not.
That seems like alot to weld there. The top pic looks like it is fragile. I would melt a hole right though it. lol.

I too think adding a brace could fix it. Something I would try if I enjoyed he muffler.
But BG is most likely working on it and if they handle it right will provide the brace for you.
But that could be a while and not worth the wait vs fab'ing your own fix.
Keep us posted.

@Simpleman,
Welcome to the community, Feel free to lurk around all you like. If you ever have a question about something... You know we are here for you
Thanks.

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
My Yoshomira pipe has been no problems for over a thousand miles now, sorry to hear this.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
SkyPup said:
My Yoshomira pipe has been no problems for over a thousand miles now, sorry to hear this.
How does the yoshimura sound? I had a slip on my wife's z400 and it sound good and wasn't to loud. And did you notice a difference in power?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I could add a brace myself but shouldn't have to. I feel the manufacture should make it right, which means they may have to redesign it. If I welded on it they may not warranty it, you know how that goes. As it is I have plenty of power with the supercharger,K&N filter,modified intake and the larger exhaust tip and spark arrestor. The muffler did add some more power, but I've welded up the header pipe and re-installed the factory system. SkyPup does your system have a mid brace?This photo shows the factory tip on the left and an aftermarket one on the right that I installed before I got the Big Gum exhaust.

Attachments

• sxs tailpipe (2400x1800) (1280x960).jpg
    sxs tailpipe (2400x1800) (1280x960).jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 1,237
Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Just a update. Big Gun refunded all my money. I don't know if they plan on changing there design or not.

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
The Yosh pipe is 100% stainless steel and the muffler is very tightly connected to the frame directly through two bolts, there are no slip-joint rubber mounts at all, it is a solid install. Have over 200 hours on it without any issue, and it is totally quiet too when you turn it off.

Yosh20Pipe20Side

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I'm stuck between the yosh and the hmf. About the same price. Would you be able to post a sound clip of the yosh?

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
I have the HMF swamp series on order. should be here by the 30th of Dec. Looks like it comes with a mid brace bracket. More power not too much more sound... I'll take it! The companies dyno report shows about 4-5 hp and foot pounds of torque. I hope so for 480$. Easy mod that isn't too invasive to the powertrain. The web site says no tuner mods to the fuel curve were needed. I am running a K & N air filter with a pre screen and hope this will compliment the machine as well. I am thinking of making a "ram air intake" mod this spring too. I find that in third gear pulling some long steep grades the machine loses ground.. say wot 38 mph and by the time i reach the summit 32 mph at wot. Hope this does the trick!

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Simpleman said:
I have the HMF swamp series on order. should be here by the 30th of Dec. Looks like it comes with a mid brace bracket. More power not too much more sound... I'll take it! The companies dyno report shows about 4-5 hp and foot pounds of torque. I hope so for 480$. Easy mod that isn't too invasive to the powertrain. The web site says no tuner mods to the fuel curve were needed. I am running a K & N air filter with a pre screen and hope this will compliment the machine as well. I am thinking of making a "ram air intake" mod this spring too. I find that in third gear pulling some long steep grades the machine loses ground.. say wot 38 mph and by the time i reach the summit 32 mph at wot. Hope this does the trick!

I ordered the exact same and I am hoping for the same results. I know all the atvs I ever put a pipe and a high flow air filter it was a night and day difference.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Hey wyo700 HMF pipe installed! Sounds good! Not too loud but for sure more throaty! The throttle response seems better as well. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet to see what it sounds like under load and also to see what kind of power gain was achieved. I'll post later what I've found out....

Ratchetdan

Ratchetdan

Apr 14, 2017
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I could add a brace myself but shouldn't have to. I feel the manufacture should make it right, which means they may have to redesign it. If I welded on it they may not warranty it, you know how that goes. As it is I have plenty of power with the supercharger,K&N filter,modified intake and the larger exhaust tip and spark arrestor. The muffler did add some more power, but I've welded up the header pipe and re-installed the factory system. SkyPup does your system have a mid brace?This photo shows the factory tip on the left and an aftermarket one on the right that I installed before I got the Big Gum exhaust.

Hey @Lynn, do you happen to have a part number for that Rubicon tip? I know this is an old post but I'm new to the forum and I like the idea... thanks!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey @Lynn, do you happen to have a part number for that Rubicon tip? I know this is an old post but I'm new to the forum and I like the idea... thanks!
Dan just search 3D exhaust tip on amazon

Reactions: Ratchetdan

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!