Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ran across this video installing Trail Armor 1/2" UHMW skids on a P1K5D.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you install one of these can you change oil w/o removing the center piece?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Im def going with trail armor.

Would you choose SSS if they have the front bash plate? If not, why? I would like to know your perspective since I'll be purchasing one soon.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you install one of these can you change oil w/o removing the center piece?
Yes, the Trail Armor skids have drain holes is the same location for the three drain plugs underneath (Engine / Transmission / Sub-transmission).

Even if one didn't exist I would take a 2" hole saw to it during installation and make one, but that is not the case here. I am very happy with the machine work, bends, etc. on the Trail Armor skids much better attention to detail that the SSS skids on my P500.

Last edited:
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
How do they lay it over in the vid?

I suppose it will be a couple of ramps,
front, rear or sides in sequence, as needed
for me.

John

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How do they lay it over in the vid?

I suppose it will be a couple of ramps,
front, rear or sides is sequence, as needed
for me.

John
I have been using a 2 ton chain hoist with 10 ft lifting distance to raise my SxS up both on side and from in front standing itup on the rear tires. But i have a 16 ft high ceiling to work with. If you have the area those hoist run about $60. In a pinch i have also used the winch to stand it up too.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stood mine up with the back of a tractor and a hay fork last time on my Rzr. I don't think there is a right or wrong way. However you can get it secured and up in the air.

Reactions: JACKAL
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Stood mine up too with the tractor loader.
Bash plate may be a selling feature for me.
Then again, I might can add one!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Stood mine up too with the tractor loader.
Bash plate may be a selling feature for me.
Then again, I might can add one!

Regarding the bash plate I was just going to use the OEM skid plate material doubled up to fabricate one where the trail armor stops up to the winch fairlead. Fairly small but important area to protect if you deal with any kind of rock ledges, not sure why the trail armor just didn't go up another 6 inches but its not a deal breaker for me and I have no regrets on my purchase.

advertisement
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Regarding the bash plate I was just going to use the OEM skid plate material doubled up to fabricate one where the trail armor stops up to the winch fairlead. Fairly small but important area to protect if you deal with any kind of rock ledges, not sure why the trail armor just didn't go up another 6 inches but its not a deal breaker for me and I have no regrets on my purchase.
I think you should take it completely off and sell it to me for $5. Even though I don't even have one yet. That way you wont be disappointed about the coverage and you wont have to spend any additional time trying to get it "just right." I am solely concerned about your peace of mind and am willing to sacrifice to help you out!

Reactions: Jack39 and joeymt33
Yeldarb

Yeldarb

Sep 23, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed the Trail Armor Skids and A-Arm guards this weekend. A-Arm guards straight forward although the backs are a bit tedious to put on, careful not to over tighten as the fasteners will pull through the UHMW material. For the skids, I used two ramps on one side, helped a bunch, not ideal but got it done. Make sure you have a strong cordless drill! There are 32 self drilling screws/washers that go in in addition to the OEM screws.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think you should take it completely off and sell it to me for $5. Even though I don't even have one yet. That way you wont be disappointed about the coverage and you wont have to spend any additional time trying to get it "just right." I am solely concerned about your peace of mind and am willing to sacrifice to help you out!

Well I haven't put them on yet not picking up the P1K until 12/23. But this is America I will sell anything, $5 sounds good but S&H will be $1275.00 :D Just like eBay.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Well I haven't put them on yet not picking up the P1K until 12/23. But this is America I will sell anything, $5 sounds good but S&H will be $1275.00 :D Just like eBay.
That made me laugh so hard. I almost said "ok"....

Reactions: DanDan
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That made me laugh so hard. I almost said "ok"....
Well you waited too long :) Installed the skids last night in the rain, wasn't at home with my shop equipment so I conjured up a solution to get these on using only two ratchet tie downs. Not recommended but I accomplished what I wanted by getting them installed on a showroom clean machine.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well you waited too long :) Installed the skids last night in the rain, wasn't at home with my shop equipment so I conjured up a solution to get these on using only two ratchet tie downs. Not recommended but I accomplished what I wanted by getting them installed on a showroom clean machine.
C3a5b5987f9fde5ebbda2903b69e7080

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed the Trail Armor Skids and A-Arm guards this weekend. A-Arm guards straight forward although the backs are a bit tedious to put on, careful not to over tighten as the fasteners will pull through the UHMW material. For the skids, I used two ramps on one side, helped a bunch, not ideal but got it done. Make sure you have a strong cordless drill! There are 32 self drilling screws/washers that go in in addition to the OEM screws.

Nice! Mine arrived on Christmas Eve! Install went well. Drill got a work out. All holes lined up great. A-Arm guards went on pretty well, although I had to trim the corner off the front guards. I don't think Trailarmor's test machine had the winch mount installed on it yet. I tried to take a picture to show the interference with the winch mount. I trimmed the corner and it fits fine now. The rears A-arm guards looked pretty close to the wheel, but they cleared.

One downside I can see is the self tapping screws that come with the kit. That is probably the best way to do it (and I may just overbuild everything), but I would have liked to see a couple more bolt/nut supports. I didn't want to over-tighten the screws, and strip out the threads they created, so hopefully they hold up to the abuse they will see. I was concerned there wasn't much of a bash plate, but the stock metal plate up front seems fairly stout. I might have out local UHMW supplier build one.

IMG 1383 IMG 1419 IMG 1426 IMG 1427

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nice! Mine arrived on Christmas Eve! Install went well. Drill got a work out. All holes lined up great. A-Arm guards went on pretty well, although I had to trim the corner off the front guards. I don't think Trailarmor's test machine had the winch mount installed on it yet. I tried to take a picture to show the interference with the winch mount. I trimmed the corner and it fits fine now. The rears A-arm guards looked pretty close to the wheel, but they cleared.

One downside I can see is the self tapping screws that come with the kit. That is probably the best way to do it (and I may just overbuild everything), but I would have liked to see a couple more bolt/nut supports. I didn't want to over-tighten the screws, and strip out the threads they created, so hopefully they hold up to the abuse they will see. I was concerned there wasn't much of a bash plate, but the stock metal plate up front seems fairly stout. I might have out local UHMW supplier build one.

View attachment 8390 View attachment 8391 View attachment 8392 View attachment 8393

Nice write up, I have not installed a winch mount yet either "still" waiting on KFI been 4 weeks now, will advise if I have any clearance issues when I go to install it with the front A-Arm guards. Very happy with how everything lined up on my set as well didn't try to force me to drill through any welds like the SSS offroad kit did on my P500

Reactions: Everett
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!