P1000 1000-6 dual battery

J

Jmwils1

May 14, 2024
NC
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
We have a 23 1000-6 and I installed a warn axon 45-s winch to the main battery. I have learned that I should have this wired to a second battery so have purchased a Mighty Max YTX-30L as well as the True Isloator. I did additionally get the 80amp stinger relay and fuse box from this site as well. After watching the Robert Sparre several times I’m wondering if just the isolator is all I need. I don’t plan to install any other accessories at this time. I am planning to connect red wires to the positive terminals on both batteries to the true and run the black wire back to the main battery.

My questions are: since I don’t have an extra ground like on the older 1000 models can I run a black wire from the second battery to the negative terminal in the main battery? Will the alternator charge both batteries if wired this way or will I need to use a trickle charger? It appears that the main battery came wired from the dealer with the negative connection to a trickle charger but I did not receive a plug to make use of it. I was not planning on installing bus bars but if there is not room for the two additional connections on the main negative terminal I will. I assume a negative bus bar does not need to be grounded if connected to the negative on the main battery?

Thank you in advance and pictures will come soon. It’s a work vehicle in a fairly remote location and I don’t currently have access to it.

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan.

Yes you can do that with the negative battery cable, but Id try and find a clean frame ground tho. No you will need that true isolator and if your just doing the winch the singer is not necessary. Yes u can hook up a trickle charger once the rest is hooked up.
pictures will come soon.
Ok we will hold you to it!🤣 its Rule #4 and these guys get testy when u post and dont provide! 😉

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
J

Jmwils1

May 14, 2024
NC
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Thank you-to clarify - will the alternator charge both batteries wired to the true isolator? Or do I need to use a trickle charger? I don’t have access to power where this is stored so I’d have to remove the 2nd battery to charge offsite if the winch runs it down and the alternator doesn’t recharge it.

Reactions: ChadD
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you-to clarify - will the alternator charge both batteries wired to the true isolator? Or do I need to use a trickle charger? I don’t have access to power where this is stored so I’d have to remove the 2nd battery to charge offsite if the winch runs it down and the alternator doesn’t recharge it.
Not without pics! 😂

Reactions: ChadD
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, the alternator will charge the aux battery through the Tru isolator once the primary battery voltage rises above approx 13.3 volts or so. This is indicated by the blue light on the Tru.

If using a battery charger when parked, you can hook it to either battery and the Tru will connect it through to keep both charged.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!