12 volt accessory socket

B

Briboy50

May 15, 2014
Just got the 700-4 home and wanted to take the spot light with me and every time I plug it in it blows the 10 amp fuse, thought the spot light was too much for it so I plugged my cell phone charger into it....blew it again. I haven't touched anything on this machine, the socket is plugged into the factory harness and can't figure out why this would occur?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Briboy50 said:
Just got the 700-4 home and wanted to take the spot light with me and every time I plug it in it blows the 10 amp fuse, thought the spot light was too much for it so I plugged my cell phone charger into it....blew it again. I haven't touched anything on this machine, the socket is plugged into the factory harness and can't figure out why this would occur?
ohh.. that's not good. I don't have a answer for you right now. First response was the light was pulling too much. but now I guess seeing that a cell phone only pulls small amp's. I will see what I can find out here in a bit. Until then. Make sure the acc plug is all new and clean inside.

Oh.. what about other accessories? anything installed?

Lastly, Welcome to the community. Sorry to have a problem bring you aboard but its good to see new members. Love to see more of you and here about your adventures. We love pictures from different parts of the county.
Thanks.

B

Briboy50

May 15, 2014
Thank you for the quick response, I have no accessories yet, I am getting a roof, windshield, winch, all the doors and mid and rear panels soon though. Everything seems to work perfectly otherwise.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Don't have a answer why this is happening but I have been using a spotlight for about a month now with no issues.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
nagromr1 said:
Don't have a answer why this is happening but I have been using a spotlight for about a month now with no issues.
Same for me. Looking over the wire diagram. I do not see anything else that could affect it. I would follow the wires to make sure its not pinched. Check the plug for good connection. Green wire runs to a ground. W/Black runs to the fuse box.
Maybe unplug it at the connector and see if W/Black wire gives you a good shine on a probe and the Green is a good ground.
Otherwise. If not too much a hassle. Contact your dealer.
Your the first to have this issue.

If you find a answer, please report back for future reference.
Maybe some other member with more electrical experience will chime in, in a bit.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Sounds like something is wrong with the socket itself. If you look inside the accessory socket,the center is your live feed and the outer case is the grd. Do you see anything inside that may contact the center when you plug into it a small piece of wire or the outer case maybe has a piece of metal thats bent away from the outside shell. There's got to be something that is grounding the live wire or center when you plug into it.Take a real good look at the socket and make sure its not faulty.Because of you trying two different things and it shorts out when you plug them in its got to be the the socket.If there was a problem with the wire's it would short out without plugging anything into it.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
It could be the wiring and the fuse is blowing as soon as you turn the key on, you never mentioned if the light or charger flashed any before it blew.

Sure sounds like a bad socket though.

V

vwkarmann89

Jul 14, 2014
I had a 02 400ex that was blowing headlight fuses...after much inspection I found the wire coming out of the headlight assembly was rubbing the light housing and shorting out. It's a hair raising experience to have the lights go out at 50 mph on a wooded trail. Haha any way inspect the wiring for rubs and you might find it

P

Pete

May 24, 2015
I have a similar problem. I plugged in my Brinkman spotlight that I used for several years with my accessory plug on my Honda Big Red (predecessor to Pioneer). The light came on for a short time then the 10 amp fuse blew. I replaced the fuse but the socket has no power?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!