2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor

J

JTW

Nobody can argue the dodge isn’t a lesser expensive option.. and you get a lot for your money. But if you ever drive and EB you won’t want anything else in a 1/2 ton truck! I ran a dodge before I bought the ferd. And I really liked it. Buuuuut... I’m on my second f150 for a reason.

In a 3/4 I’d just have to really look hard between the 250 and Cummings... I wouldn’t buy a gas 3/4 or heavier though.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nobody can argue the dodge isn’t a lesser expensive option.. and you get a lot for your money. But if you ever drive and EB you won’t want anything else in a 1/2 ton truck! I ran a dodge before I bought the ferd. And I really liked it. Buuuuut... I’m on my second f150 for a reason.

In a 3/4 I’d just have to really look hard between the 250 and Cummings... I wouldn’t buy a gas 3/4 or heavier though.

If I needed the payload that the 1ton offers but didn't need the tow rating the Gas F350 7.3 might be an option. It would work for those guys who needed a LITTLE bit more than the F150 can offer but don't want the cost or maintenance of a diesel. If I needed a full on 1Ton though definitely a diesel.

When the Big three come out with a 350 that can be made to ride like a 150 THAT is when a lot of guys will be happy that have to daily a one ton.

J

JTW

If I needed the payload that the 1ton offers but didn't need the tow rating the Gas F350 7.3 might be an option. It would work for those guys who needed a LITTLE bit more than the F150 can offer but don't want the cost or maintenance of a diesel. If I needed a full on 1Ton though definitely a diesel.

When the Big three come out with a 350 that can be made to ride like a 150 THAT is when a lot of guys will be happy that have to daily a one ton.
The whole reason to go to a 3/4 or better is for hauling. I expect to not get the best milage towing with the 150.. it’s kind of a given. But it’s not gunna be any worse than the 3/4 gassers. So for me... I don’t see the point of going up unless it's a diesel. But at this point I’m not towing enough to warrant it for a daily driver 95% of the time.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The whole reason to go to a 3/4 or better is for hauling. I expect to not get the best milage towing with the 150.. it’s kind of a given. But it’s not gunna be any worse than the 3/4 gassers. So for me... I don’t see the point of going up unless it's a diesel. But at this point I’m not towing enough to warrant it for a daily driver 95% of the time.

Right but if you're pushing the limits of a 150 and a 350 gasser can raise those limits ESPECIALLY payload, you're paying I think pretty much the same for a comparable Trim level. You lose ride comfort but gain heavier duty parts. Its a win if you don't need to tow a 20k trailer. If they could be made to ride well it'd make it easier on a section of the market.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right but if you're pushing the limits of a 150 and a 350 gasser can raise those limits ESPECIALLY payload, you're paying I think pretty much the same for a comparable Trim level. You lose ride comfort but gain heavier duty parts. Its a win if you don't need to tow a 20k trailer. If they could be made to ride well it'd make it easier on a section of the market.
A 2500 offers breaking and stability. When the 2500 is lesser h.p. Usually the case because of emissions. I've had several of both. 1500 is a fun truck, 2500 is work. 1500 stinks at work, 2500 isn't fun. You can't win.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A 2500 offers breaking and stability. When the 2500 is lesser h.p. Usually the case because of emissions. I've had several of both. 1500 is a fun truck, 2500 is work. 1500 stinks at work, 2500 isn't fun. You can't win.

And you can only lead a horse to water...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I agree, IF they rode better, but that’s the whole point. They don’t.. fuel economy sucks if they’re pulling or not.. and if you’re using it as a daily driver, then just why? Other than initial cost which can be fixed by going the dodge diesel route, I just never have understood why people buy a 3/4 gasser. Just like the one we took to Moab. It SUCKED!!!! Now a 3/4 diesel just like it would have been a different trip. The gas 6.4 just lacked the guts to haul try the mountains with 10k lbs. It’s all about the turbos!!

P

PNWGuy

I agree, IF they rode better, but that’s the whole point. They don’t.. fuel economy sucks if they’re pulling or not.. and if you’re using it as a daily driver, then just why? Other than initial cost which can be fixed by going the dodge diesel route, I just never have understood why people buy a 3/4 gasser. Just like the one we took to Moab. It SUCKED!!!! Now a 3/4 diesel just like it would have been a different trip. The gas 6.4 just lacked the guts to haul try the mountains with 10k lbs. It’s all about the turbos!!
I'm planning on hauling my P500 in the bed and towing a 5k lb travel trailer. I typically don't go more than 150 miles in any direction. Trips would be less than half a dozen a year. At around 8k lbs total, it's just beyond my comfort level with a half-ton.

The rest of the time I would be commuting 15 miles one way to work on a rural highway. I average around 12k miles a year.

A half-ton gasser with the quad cab and short bed worked great 90% of the time.

I just don't see how spending an extra $9k for a diesel would ever net a return in mileage, especially considering the extra $.10 a gallon fuel costs plus maintenance costs.

I averaged 17mpg with the hemi with a lift and bigger tires. Even if the diesel averages 4mpg better in daily driving, that's a cost savings of $311 a year in fuel.

Divided by just the extra $9k cost of the diesel, I would have to drive it for 39 years to get my money back.

My dad has an `05 or `06 Chevy 1-ton dually with the Duramax. At around 120k miles, it lost an injector and a head gasket. Shopped around for a shop to do the work and the best deal he got was $10k. All he pulls is a 30' RV to Arizona and back twice a year. He averages 12mpg.

He won't buy another diesel.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm planning on hauling my P500 in the bed and towing a 5k lb travel trailer. I typically don't go more than 150 miles in any direction. Trips would be less than half a dozen a year. At around 8k lbs total, it's just beyond my comfort level with a half-ton.

The rest of the time I would be commuting 15 miles one way to work on a rural highway. I average around 12k miles a year.

A half-ton gasser with the quad cab and short bed worked great 90% of the time.

I just don't see how spending an extra $9k for a diesel would ever net a return in mileage, especially considering the extra $.10 a gallon fuel costs plus maintenance costs.

I averaged 17mpg with the hemi with a lift and bigger tires. Even if the diesel averages 4mpg better in daily driving, that's a cost savings of $311 a year in fuel.

Divided by just the extra $9k cost of the diesel, I would have to drive it for 39 years to get my money back.

My dad has an `05 or `06 Chevy 1-ton dually with the Duramax. At around 120k miles, it lost an injector and a head gasket. Shopped around for a shop to do the work and the best deal he got was $10k. All he pulls is a 30' RV to Arizona and back twice a year. He averages 12mpg.

He won't buy another diesel.
I don’t know how you’re getting 17mpg in a v8 lifted especially with any kind of weight or wind restrictions behind it. Most I know get between 10-14 when mileage is checked at the pump. Diesel on average gets much better mileage when loaded, but people have to take into consideration that usually the speed is up as well.
I personally buy only diesel now for five reasons. Mileage, durability, lack of maintenance, power and resale. But I don’t commute in the truck it’s dedicated for work and play so my needs are a little different then many.
I don’t want the newer ones because of price, lesser mileage and an inability to carry big machines in the back so I sacrifice features and ride but sure do enjoy nearly 25mpg with a Pioneer 1000 in the bed of my Cummins.
IMO you’re Dad probably bought the wrong diesel for what he was looking for. Isuzu are very expensive to fix and the mileage isn’t anything to write home about.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
P

PNWGuy

I don’t know how you’re getting 17mpg in a v8 lifted especially with any kind of weight or wind restrictions behind it. Most I know get between 10-14 when mileage is checked at the pump. Diesel on average gets much better mileage when loaded, but people have to take into consideration that usually the speed is up as well.
I personally buy only diesel now for five reasons. Mileage, durability, lack of maintenance, power and resale. I don’t want the newer ones because of price, lesser mileage and an inability to carry big machines in the back so I sacrifice features and ride but sure do enjoy nearly 25mpg with a Pioneer 1000 in the bed of my Cummins.
IMO you’re Dad probably bought the wrong diesel for what he was looking for. Isuzu are very expensive to fix and the mileage isn’t anything to write home about.
The 5.7 Hemi with the cylinder shut off feature, K&N intake, and flowmaster exhaust... 19 to 20mpg was not difficult on road trips to Boise.

Pzpc7ZFwSAWn6RYheD1V7w

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 5.7 Hemi with the cylinder shut off feature, K&N intake, and flowmaster exhaust... 19 to 20mpg was not difficult on road trips to Boise.

View attachment 140315
Have you actually checked it or do you strictly rely on the manufacturer telling you what it gets?
And what happens to that number simply with a 500 in back?
I use to be a gas guy but I hated the mileage. Like said I just don’t like a pickup for commuting, might be a different story for me if I liked driving a truck to work or had to, so mine is usually loaded. Well if you call it a load lol.

Last edited:
P

PNWGuy

Have you actually checked it or do you strictly rely on the manufacturer telling you what it gets?
And what happens to that number simply with a 500 in back?
I use to be a gas guy but I hated the mileage. Like said I just don’t like a pickup for commuting, might be a different story for me if I liked driving a truck to work or had to, so mine is usually loaded. Well if you call it a load lol.
I checked the computer vs the actual number, and with the taller tires and uncorrected speedo, actual mileage is actually better than what the dash shows.

Yeah, if I could afford a $60k pickup for just the weekends, and a commuter car, and a UTV, and a camper...

Not happening on a security guy's salary, lol.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally buy only diesel now for five reasons. Mileage, durability, lack of maintenance, power and resale. But I don’t commute in the truck it’s dedicated for work and play so my needs are a little different then many.
I don’t want the newer ones because of price, lesser mileage and an inability to carry big machines in the back so I sacrifice features and ride but sure do enjoy nearly 25mpg with a Pioneer 1000 in the bed of my Cummins.
I always got 18- 20 in my 2012 ram crew 1500. That had the 6 speed, the newer one with the 8 speed would do better I'm sure.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked the computer vs the actual number, and with the taller tires and uncorrected speedo, actual mileage is actually better than what the dash shows.

Yeah, if I could afford a $60k pickup for just the weekends, and a commuter car, and a UTV, and a camper...

Not happening on a security guy's salary, lol.
Should be a guard at a bank or on one of those money trucks. You can get as much money as you want.

P

PNWGuy

Should be a guard at a bank or on one of those money trucks. You can get as much money as you want.
LOL. I'm not a Security Guard, per se... I wear a tie and dress clothes and do everything via computer. I actually have four computers and 8 different screens to keep track of around 60 offices around the globe. It's why I'm on the internet at work constantly. Monitoring all the news channels and get instant alerts for anything happening in the world and checking to see if any offices or traveling employees are affected.

For example, 5.7 earthquake just reported in Iran and municipal workers are blocking a highway in Nigeria. Oh, and flash flood warnings for DC.

It is interesting...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I always got 18- 20 in my 2012 ram crew 1500. That had the 6 speed, the newer one with the 8 speed would do better I'm sure.
That is impressive, I hadn’t heard of people getting those numbers, people locally hadn’t said that high.That would be fine for a daily driver

P

PNWGuy

That is impressive, I hadn’t heard of people getting those numbers, people locally hadn’t said that high.That would be fine for a daily driver
You also have to take into account the terrain. Down here, it's rural highways and rolling hills with speed limits around 55-60. Much, much easier to get good mileage than up around the Panhandle with more mountains and 70mph speed limits.

When I lived in Iowa, my daily driver was a `98 Chevy 2wd ext cab shortbed with a 305V8 and a 5spd. I averaged 27mpg on the flat rural highways out there.

My old Chevy...

X52gryN6TyqUwCMr1A2dBA

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problem with the hemi is that it's so much fun to hammer down, and it sounds good. Not like those trucks that have noise injected to the speakers so it sounds good. I forgot what one does that...:confused:

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!