P700 2020 Pioneer Deluxe 4 seater with 15,000 miles on it. Should I buy it?

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
This machine was in a tour fleet so alot of miles and they replace them every 3 years. I just want to drive it around easy and put about 500 miles on per year. Are clutches and transmissions a common thing to go out? Are they expensive to replace? I also am looking at a Yamaha Viking Ranch with 10,000 miles and its a 2019. Same price and its a 3 seater. Which one would you go for? Thanks

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This machine was in a tour fleet so alot of miles and they replace them every 3 years. I just want to drive it around easy and put about 500 miles on per year. Are clutches and transmissions a common thing to go out? Are they expensive to replace? I also am looking at a Yamaha Viking Ranch with 10,000 miles and it’s a 2019. Same price and it’s a 3 seater. Which one would you go for? Thanks
Which pioneer? You say 4 seater which leads me to believe it’s a 700-4. That would not have a DCT of the 1000-5. And the 500/520 don’t come in anything but the 2 seater.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
This machine was in a tour fleet so alot of miles and they replace them every 3 years. I just want to drive it around easy and put about 500 miles on per year. Are clutches and transmissions a common thing to go out? Are they expensive to replace? I also am looking at a Yamaha Viking Ranch with 10,000 miles and its a 2019. Same price and its a 3 seater. Which one would you go for? Thanks
700-4, I assume? Any upgrades, like roof, windshield, winch? Asking price? Same questions on the Yamaha. Have you driven them yet and what's your impression?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Clutches and tranny's aren't "common", but anything goes out after a while. To do all three clutches, the case must be split.

If it drives and shifts ok...that's probably as cheap as you'll every get one running. The one sore spot on these engines is cam wear issues. Fortunately, this seems far more common on machines that idle a lot or are used for short runs (IE-farm/ranch work).
A rental machine probably would have been on the opposite side of that, and I know @hondabob put well over 20k on one or two of those. If it takes full throttle without bogging throughout the rpm, the cam is probably OK.

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
Well I am a US resident and I am also a resident of Aruba. So this is where the machine is. I spend 6 months in Aruba per year. I have a TMax 530 motorcycle and I have 2 machines that are 2011. They are 2 seaters. 1 Kawasaki and 1 Yamaha. I want to get rid of both 2 seaters and get a 4 seater. They run these on tours everyday. Thats why its got 15K miles on and its 4 years old. So it runs great now and I wont put that many miles on because my motorcycle is my main wheels. This will just be to explore the Islands when my family and friends come. I have rented one of these several times to tour the Island because I dont trust my old ones and I was very happy with them.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I am a US resident and I am also a resident of Aruba. So this is where the machine is. I spend 6 months in Aruba per year. I have a TMax 530 motorcycle and I have 2 machines that are 2011. They are 2 seaters. 1 Kawasaki and 1 Yamaha. I want to get rid of both 2 seaters and get a 4 seater. They run these on tours everyday. Thats why its got 15K miles on and its 4 years old. So it runs great now and I wont put that many miles on because my motorcycle is my main wheels. This will just be to explore the Islands when my family and friends come. I have rented one of these several times to tour the Island because I dont trust my old ones and I was very happy with them.

P.O.I.D.H 😎👍

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
Ok. Thanks for your info. As far as Pictures go, I am on Bonaire diving and the machine is on Aruba. So I have still not seen the machine but I am just doing my homework so I know what I want to do when I get to Aruba next week. So ChadD, Just hold your Horses!!!!

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
I like the good info I am receiving from he other people. Thats what these forums are for!!! And I am good friends with the Owner of the rental company so I am sure he will treat me right.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
look for frame rot - no clue if that machine has been in the salt - can eat a frame away if not washed off

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wow! I know that tour! Its also part of the Expidition for Royal Caribian cruises. My wife and I did that last March. They are decent machines. Seems as if they take care of them with a few normal messed up things from thousands of people and their abuse. From my experience driving a P1 they had, 15k miles on one of these would be equivalent to the same rig from a single owner decently taken care of with 20+k miles.
$5k is the most Id spend. If u really want it, Id go in with $3,500 cash to offer and work my way up. Good luck with your purchase and post pics on this page if u get it POIDH

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
look for frame rot - no clue if that machine has been in the salt - can eat a frame away if not washed off
Yes they come in contact with salt. They ride the wet beaches often and people try and hit the water coming up on shore

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
Thanks. I will check all of that out when I get to Aruba. I do know he has a car wash right there so I am sure he does his best to keep them clean. I am in the Lawncare Care Business in Indiana so I know all about fertilizer and thats the same as Salt!!! I was going to clean the frames really good and see if I can buy some tough coat paint to spray the frames with. Like that undercoat stuff. The 2 machines I bought 10 years ago was rusted out when I bought them because this guy never washed them. He just did tours everyday. So I took them to a weld shop and paid them 2K each and he striped everything and made galvanized frames. So the frames are great now but the machines are too old and they keep nickel and dimming me to death. So then they are not dependable. So its time to make a change.

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
As far as going less than 5K. They wont do it. Because the duty tax they have to pay to get the machines shipped to Aruba is double the price of the machine. So they have 50K new into these machines. And everything is working when they sell them. So they wont budge on the price. I look at it this way. I can buy one and take care of it and in 3 to 5 years, I can still get about what I paid and then just get another one. They will always be selling their 3 to 4 year old machines. Aruba has a law that all tour companies cant keep machines older than 3 or 4 years old. Then they must replace them.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Companies using cars, trucks, ATVs, and other equipment use data from their history with many machines and hundreds of thousands of miles to get the most service from the machines before high-cost repairs or failure occur. Those units offered for sale are known to be near the end of their economical service life.

The machines are used and abused by tourist renters on sandy beaches and in salt water.

What could go wrong?

K

Kent Gerber

Mar 15, 2024
Indiana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4
Hopefully using it very low miles per year, will help stretch it out for several years. And when it dies, its not like I had a ton of money invested in it.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully using it very low miles per year, will help stretch it out for several years. And when it dies, its not like I had a ton of money invested in it.

Cheaper than 50 grand to get it to Aruba 😎👍

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!