P700 700-4 dual or big battery

Tatortot46

Tatortot46

Aug 1, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have a new 700-4 and I've read that the stock battery are not very strong and even have issues turning the motor over in the colder climates.
I have seen dual battery and car battery install. Which is better?
Will the alternator charge a car battery without damaging the charging system?
Thanks!

Reactions: Buggyman
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dual battery setups main purpose is for powering secondary accessories. It normally does not help with cranking.

Unless you wire it stright parallel.
But if you choose to do that, then installing a larger CC battery would be better.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buggyman and Dave75
Tatortot46

Tatortot46

Aug 1, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I want todo a winch mostly for plowing so I need the power and led lights. I see the purpose of the second battery but a car battery should be able to handle that no problem.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I want todo a winch mostly for plowing so I need the power and led lights. I see the purpose of the second battery but a car battery should be able to handle that no problem.
If you can use a battery charger after plowing that would help.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I like the dual set up. Keeping the utv system separate from accessories. Of course I have mine wired so that if the starter battery ever dies I can also use my accessories battery to get started. I can also winch with one or both batteries at the same time. I use a marine switch and isolator to separate the batteries

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I've been running a car size battery in mine since 15 , I plow snow in the winter months without any issues at all and thats running the winch, heater, 2-way radio and sometimes lights. I like the single battery set up mainly just for simplicity sake over a dual set-up.

Tatortot46

Tatortot46

Aug 1, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been running a car size battery in mine since 15 , I plow snow in the winter months without any issues at all and thats running the winch, heater, 2-way radio and sometimes lights. I like the single battery set up mainly just for simplicity sake over a dual set-up.
These are the reasons I wanted to go to a single large battery. Where did you place the large battery? What battery did you use? Do you need to use a battery charge when it sitting?

Tatortot46

Tatortot46

Aug 1, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like the dual set up. Keeping the utv system separate from accessories. Of course I have mine wired so that if the starter battery ever dies I can also use my accessories battery to get started. I can also winch with one or both batteries at the same time. I use a marine switch and isolator to separate the batteries
Do you have a diagram of how you have the wiring setup?

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
only difference is my sub panel for accessories
is activated by a rocker switch so that it only works of the second battery. I do not need key on power to run accessories

Last edited:
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
These are the reasons I wanted to go to a single large battery. Where did you place the large battery? What battery did you use? Do you need to use a battery charge when it sitting?
I put it under the driver's seat. I never charge it other than running the motor. The battery I got at my local pick and pull auto parts place. My wife's cousin owns the pick and pull and he just gave it to me. I think it's a motor craft brand but I'm not sure I haven't seen it in a long time

advertisement
M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi I just did a dual battery setup and just posted pics and my wiring diagram of it. See this thread:

Phil

Reactions: CID and Buggyman
Tatortot46

Tatortot46

Aug 1, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi I just did a dual battery setup and just posted pics and my wiring diagram of it. See this thread:

Phil
Thanks I'll look into this as an option

W

Whiskey_Acres

Apr 10, 2022
TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
What's a recommendation for an upgraded battery from stock if one wants to stick to a single battery?

Reactions: 03mossy
infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Don't want to be "that guy" but bumping this back up as I have the same question.
I go back and forth on "dual" vs "big single".

What is a good battery if I was to go with single that still fits in the stock location under the passenger seat?

1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
You can put a ytx 20 battery with 260 cold cranking amps in the factory location by cutting out a small plastic divider. The factory ytx 14 battery has about 200 cold cranking amps so you bump the power pretty good.

Reactions: tracy guy and CID
S

Sudani

Jul 20, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a stock 2021 700-4D. I have my heated gear from riding my motorcycle, which I no longer ride, and was thinking I could use the gear for winter sxs rides. Will my stock battery be able to handle this accessory or do I need a larger capacity battery?

S

Sudani

Jul 20, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have one more warranty visit and plan on putting in the accessories plug. If a larger battery is needed that’s the time to do it as I don’t have the electrical skill set to make these changes. Thanks.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've had really good luck with Yuasa batteries.
I might pick this one up:

Should fit with maybe minor adjustments, its not physically that much bigger than the stock Yuasa.

I've noticed when running my winch my VDC drops to 12. Just lifting the plow for short periods but the stock lights dim.
If I turn on my light bar and use the winch I saw it drop to under 11...yikes.

Stock battery seems pretty weak to attach accessories to. Bigger battery should help here. I could always use this one as primary and install the stock battery as the Aux battery down the road...not sure.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!