P700 700-4 Hard cold weather starting

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I saw on another threat here that someone put in iridium plug for the 700 and noticed improved starting but any new plug will improve it the first time as they are cleaner etc so wasn't sure about them for this issue. I think I will try them and report back if they help the cold starting problem.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Despite seemingly being a bit off topic I think it is part of solution to some starting problems. Also I should have said I am in Canada so that was -15C.

View attachment 316673 View attachment 316674
No worries. Stupid question but just going through basics because I’ve seen it before. Have you pulled your filter and see what it looks like? Air fuel mixture

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree about something amis with 700 but I always use premium fuel as it has no ethanol here in some brands. I have flushed system on mine before winter hoping it would help but did not. Hope you will have more luck than I.

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Changed air filter right before cold weather and had new spark plugs put in when I had it in for other maintenance recently. -10c here today and fired right up. Odd.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all the help, mine is literally still brand new, I think only 4 hours on it so far.

Question how do you get to the Air filter and the spark plug?? Again brand new to me, appears you have to lift the dump body and then there is the rear passengers foot wells and a center hump cover. Appears this center cover comes off but I do not see how and being so cold I dont want to force and break it.

Thanks Phil

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I feel your pain the first year I had mine new at the cottage it let me down on the first cold night. Fortunately I had power so heaters under it and charge on battery and was able to get it going after loss if a day. I am not sure with your model as mine is a 2 seater. Air breather under tip box. Should be similar on yours a black square box with four clips to take top off and filter in that. Spark plugs on mine can be replaced through opening with tip box tipped. Others can tell you better.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You know….you guys have P7’s sorry thought u had P1’s! 🤦‍♂️
well andy of the above will be helpful for you.
being its a P7 and single cylinder, dont care how many miles u have on it with this issue, Id check your valve clearance. Very possible could be off especially if your warming it up then she starts.
Im a Gen tech and we have $hit ton of single cylinder units with cold start every year and all have valve adjustment issues. Food for thought

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
That was my last thing to inquire about. No valve sounds indicating a problem there and doing since it was new. Runs beautifully when it goes as well so has seemed like that might be an outlier but perhaps next step. Sounds like an expensive fix but perhaps if the case at least phil may have warranty. Any idea of the cost to have that done?

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hope like heck its not that considering it has 4 hours on it considering how much I paid for it. Heck my POS 2000 polaris 6x6 starts every time without concern every cold day Ive used it....

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That was my last thing to inquire about. No valve sounds indicating a problem there and doing since it was new. Runs beautifully when it goes as well so has seemed like that might be an outlier but perhaps next step. Sounds like an expensive fix but perhaps if the case at least phil may have warranty. Any idea of the cost to have that done?
Not that expensive to adjust valves. But it all depends upon your dealer. If you search it on here or there is threads on how to adjust those valves. Basically you're checking the valve lash. When it's warmed I'll be just fine. The problem is when they're cold you could have some issues and cold start. Not saying this is the problem but I'm a process of elimination person I don't jump into the most difficult things right off the bat as a technician. I go with easy stuff first right down the line and check mark it off. If your mechanical you can do it yourself It can be a little involved

Reactions: Irish1
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
hope like heck its not that considering it has 4 hours on it considering how much I paid for it.
It does suck. But remember when you bought it in the middle of the scamdemick and that has screwed up quality in even the best companies in the last couple years

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well not an excuse but I realize some of these rigs were build on a Friday and I hope my engine wasnt done on Friday afternoon. That said Ill start with changing the gas and see if that resolves it. I plan on bringing it back for the 20hr maint and if its more serious will let them deal with it then.

Thanks

Phil

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I feel your pain the first year I had mine new at the cottage it let me down on the first cold night. Fortunately I had power so heaters under it and charge on battery and was able to get it going after loss if a day. I am not sure with your model as mine is a 2 seater. Air breather under tip box. Should be similar on yours a black square box with four clips to take top off and filter in that. Spark plugs on mine can be replaced through opening with tip box tipped. Others can tell you better.
Hi so whats the TIP box? I suspect what your talking about is under the dump body and for me with a 4 seater is under the foot wells or the center hump cover.

Thanks

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my 2 cents after having my 700. In my opinion it was the worst starting machine I have ever dealt with in the cold. I tried alot of different things, from lower viscosity of oil, to a battery maintainer, to iso heat in every fuel tank but the only thing I found that worked well was a bigger battery. After doing alot of researching I found that the Honda Rincon would actually turn of the fuel injector when the battery voltage would drop to a little less then 11 volts and I believe this is what was happening with my 700. It would turn over (rather slowly) and I think the voltage would drop down enough that the injector was not firing. I didn't want to deal with a bigger secondary car battery that alot of early owners had tried, so I actually was able to fit a Yuasa YTX20H-BS 310CCA battery in the stock location. The worst part about it on Honda's end, is the Canadian models actually come with a bigger battery from the factory, but I guess they must think it doesn't get that cold here in the US. I don't know if this is still the case as mine was 2015, but with everyone's questions about the 700 cold starting in the winter, I'm assuming that is the way it still is. The higher cold cranking amps, cured mine and might we worth a try.

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes original battery here in Canada is 16ah and I think it is 14ah in the states. Either way it is TOO SMALL. In my case larger battery helped some. It seemed to be starting better at colder temps but then just wouldn't go again at -15c when it had gone at -20V a few days earlier.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes original battery here in Canada is 16ah and I think it is 14ah in the states. Either way it is TOO SMALL. In my case larger battery helped some. It seemed to be starting better at colder temps but then just wouldn't go again at -15c when it had gone at -20V a few days earlier.
I can definitely feel your pain, and know it is very unnerving when it doesn't start like it should. I thankfully enough never had to deal with it anywhere then my drive way. If it didn't start early in the morning, I just had to wait until it warmed up a little then I could get it going. I went through the thread and saw your battery setup, but was just curious how you had it run. Does your secondary battery run to an idolator or back to the main battery? Also curious if you had a battery maintainer to recharge your battery? You talked about plowing so didn't know if it was completely charged after you were done.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here is my 2 cents after having my 700. In my opinion it was the worst starting machine I have ever dealt with in the cold. I tried alot of different things, from lower viscosity of oil, to a battery maintainer, to iso heat in every fuel tank but the only thing I found that worked well was a bigger battery. After doing alot of researching I found that the Honda Rincon would actually turn of the fuel injector when the battery voltage would drop to a little less then 11 volts and I believe this is what was happening with my 700. It would turn over (rather slowly) and I think the voltage would drop down enough that the injector was not firing. I didn't want to deal with a bigger secondary car battery that alot of early owners had tried, so I actually was able to fit a Yuasa YTX20H-BS 310CCA battery in the stock location. The worst part about it on Honda's end, is the Canadian models actually come with a bigger battery from the factory, but I guess they must think it doesn't get that cold here in the US. I don't know if this is still the case as mine was 2015, but with everyone's questions about the 700 cold starting in the winter, I'm assuming that is the way it still is. The higher cold cranking amps, cured mine and might we worth a try.
Hi thanks, thats interesting reason but I understand now why the battery could be of issue. I have a booster box I can bring out and clamp onto the existing battery as a test to try. So you fit a larger battery in the stock location under the seat? I do not know what the current cranking amps of the stock one is, how much larger is this?

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can definitely feel your pain, and know it is very unnerving when it doesn't start like it should. I thankfully enough never had to deal with it anywhere then my drive way. If it didn't start early in the morning, I just had to wait until it warmed up a little then I could get it going. I went through the thread and saw your battery setup, but was just curious how you had it run. Does your secondary battery run to an idolator or back to the main battery? Also curious if you had a battery maintainer to recharge your battery? You talked about plowing so didn't know if it was completely charged after you were done.
I removed the old battery completely and just use the larger battery in the picture. 508 cranking amps think. Fully charged, sat over night @-20c, battery fully charged when checked at -15c the next day. Turned over like a banshee but didn't fire. Let sit two hours then she went first try. Nothing worse than intermittent issue but generally it is iffy whether it goes below -15C.

Reactions: tjoreo
Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Actually that was 410 cranking amps in the new battery. The 500cr amp was too big for the under the hood.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!