700 vs 1000 vs competitor for property maintenance

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
I'm curious, does anyone use their 700-4, 1000-5 or competitor machine to maintain their property?

I am in need of a new garden tractor/sub compact tractor (like a kubota bx or b series), but have started leaning toward the idea of a utv instead. (cost would be similar). My wife would also prefer one, as I could take the family on trail rides, hunting trips, and country cruises out our back roads.

I currently have the following:

Haban pull behind brush mower (thought it might be nice to use a pull behind finish mower behind a utv vs buying a tractor which i could only use as a tractor).

I also have quite a few category 0 attachments for a 3pt hitch:

brinley back blade
disc set
cultivators
single bottom plow

I've seen companies that make 3pt hitch setups (farmboy?)that slide into a hitch receiver. I also live across the road from a machine shop, can weld, and i am capable of mild fabrication. I feel confident that i could make a 3pt system of my own that utilizes a linear actuator vs hydraulic cylinder.

I thought those attachments, combined with a 3pt hitch (purchased or fabricated myself) along with a quality pull behind or front mounted mower (kunz, DR, swisher?) would be handy. I also have a nice heavy duty 60" snow/dirt blade that i could modify to fit for snow removal.

I just wanted to gather some thoughts. (I only use the disc and plow to put in a small 30x60 garden give or take 10-20ft depending on what I'm planting). I will still have my Bolens HT garden tractor with 3pt and mower, but think the ability to utilize a UTV for these functions would be nice, especially for food plots or mowing larger areas vs the GT.

Any opinions are appreciated, and if anyone has fabricated their own attachments I'd love to hear about it. If you use a mower, let me know as well.

Turf mode would be handy along with low range for plowing and/or mowing

Kind regards,
Nick

P.S. I've been silently stalking the forum, and patiently waiting on the right machine for years. I currently own a 2002 honda rancher ES (original owner). I'm partial to honda for that reason, but open to other options.

Also...Admin, please feel free to move if posted in wrong area (I'm using tapatalk on an android phone and still havent figured out how to navigate the site.

J

JTW

From what I've read I think the 700 would be your better option for farm use... particularly if you're wanting a 4 person machine.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The Pioneer 1000 does not like going slow. It is hard on the clutch.

The Pioneer 700 has a fluid torque convertor like a automatic transmission car (and the Honda Rincon), going slow won't hurt it at all. However, it doesn't have turf mode and it has a relatively small single cylinder 680 cc engine that isn't a huge torque monster.

The belted machines will not really fare better. The constant tension belts like Yamaha and Kawi will wear out the clutch plates in the primary going slow particularly slow under a load and the "loose" style like Polaris and Can Am will not wear out the clutch but they will chew threw belts (they use the belt as a clutch) with all the starting and stopping and will probably glaze up really quick and slip even worse.

That being said, I don't have much experience with ground engaging equipment but what little I do know, you need to go slow and you need A LOT of torque. Depending on what you are doing, probably a lot more than the Pioneer can handle.

Personally, I would get A LOT more use out of a Kubota with a FEL and a PTO than I ever would a UTV just around the house.

As a matter of fact, as soon as we build our retirement house on the farm, that is the first purchase I am going to make. If I had somewhere to put store it now, I would already have one. I priced several and a trailer and tried to figure out a way to put it at my house but I just can't fit it on top of this hill.

I don't think that a UTV can even remotely stand it for a good quality utility tractor.

Doesn't the Kubota UTV have a hydrostatic transmission? I bet they could do it but I don't know how much fun they would be on the trails.

Reactions: nglauer and JTW
J

JTW

I would look for a good older 30hp used tractor... they can be found for 3-5k and would make you a far better work machine. I'd then get something like a 1000 for the trails..

Reactions: adnoh and nglauer
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
  • the 700 would be fine with the exception of the rear receiver. In stock form they won't take to much of a load of them unless its downward force. It will pull a brush mower fine, but like what JTW suggested maybe a used tractor for three point hitch stuff and a pioneer for play.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Get a used tractor and a 500. A utv isn't going to have the weight or the balls necessary for anything ground engaging.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Let me clarify my initial question. What i really need is a way to comfortably mow larger swaths of property in a timely manner. I have a couple of tractors capable of operating ground engaging equipment, and do not plan to use a pioneer for heavy tasks. So i suppose my initial question was misleading. I also need room for 4-5 so i can haul the kids, wife, nieces and nephews. As for the ground engaging equipment, i was thinking it would be nice to drag a disk or cultivator for some food plots, or occasionally across my garden.... nothing to crazy. The tractor I use for my garden is only 23hp (but has a heavy Eaton 2 speed hydrostatic transmission) I also have an IH Farmall 504 row crop with front loader to handle large tasks, including large brush hogging tasks, moving timber, or digging.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me clarify my initial question. What i really need is a way to comfortably mow larger swaths of property in a timely manner. I have a couple of tractors capable of operating ground engaging equipment, and do not plan to use a pioneer for heavy tasks. So i suppose my initial question was misleading. I also need room for 4-5 so i can haul the kids, wife, nieces and nephews. As for the ground engaging equipment, i was thinking it would be nice to drag a disk or cultivator for some food plots, or occasionally across my garden.... nothing to crazy. The tractor I use for my garden is only 23hp (but has a heavy Eaton 2 speed hydrostatic transmission) I also have an IH Farmall 504 row crop with front loader to handle large tasks, including large brush hogging tasks, moving timber, or digging.
My opinion having owned both. is 700 for work , 1000 for pleasure . what are you going to use it most for. and go that route. from your questions I'd say 700. it can out work every other.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Dealer told me the newest 700-4 offers turf mode, power steering, paddle shifter, and led lights. Is this true? Which unit has a better transmission 700 or 1000? I'd like to stay at a reasonable price point. Seating for 5 would be better than 4 (me, wife, 3 kids)... although i doubt they all go riding with me at once lol

advertisement
nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Another dealer said i needed a polaris general 4... which, as much as i love the options, seats, and looks.... i believe it is a glorified rzr... and i can't imagine it would be suited for much other than trails (I've personally seen polaris belt failures and other issues crop up while riding with friends and family). . So I'd be leary, plus they want a lot of $$$ for them.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
I've also looked at the mule pro fxt, but I'm not sure about it either.

Thank you again for your opinions. I'm not going to pull the trigger until sometime next year, but figured I'd start my research now.

J

JTW

You need to look at the 2017 Honda 700-4.. it has a bench seat where another little one would fit in the middle.

Reactions: nglauer
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dealer told me the newest 700-4 offers turf mode, power steering, paddle shifter, and led lights. Is this true? Which unit has a better transmission 700 or 1000? I'd like to stay at a reasonable price point. Seating for 5 would be better than 4 (me, wife, 3 kids)... although i doubt they all go riding with me at once lol

I believe the dealer told you a story, the 700-4 does not offer turf mode.

I wish it did, but it doesn't. It's still a fine machine and I loved mine.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They will all go riding trust me

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I thought the 2017 did??

3406a035c187d8c6e5c894b7aea309f8

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The website does say it's a 2017
3b29f6f61898fe670f2d03f8eec6339a

It would be a big change for Honda to have turf mode. EPS was an easy add as well as paddle shifters but turf mode would require a different rear drive train, new dash panel, shifters, etc.

Reactions: nglauer and JTW
nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
I would probably step up to the 1000-5 then. I'm not sure why the dealer told me that, other than they were confused. I think the turf mode would help when pulling a finish mower. The trail mower wouldn't be as big of a deal though.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!