KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Starting on a checklist of stuff for my buggy…

I have a problem with my steering wheel being off center. This is an on going issue. When my wheels are straight the cross section of my steering wheel is nearly straight up and down. I have adjusted it, 2 friends have adjusted it… and after each ride it is worse. Anyone have this issue, any suggestions?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Curious, after adjusting the wheel ( you are removing the steering wheel and aligning on different splines correct?) when it is off again, is it to the same direction left or right more and more or does it vary being left or right?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Starting on a checklist of stuff for my buggy…

I have a problem with my steering wheel being off center. This is an on going issue. When my wheels are straight the cross section of my steering wheel is nearly straight up and down. I have adjusted it, 2 friends have adjusted it… and after each ride it is worse. Anyone have this issue, any suggestions?
1. Like Jackal said above, something is slipping...splines on knuckles or where the steering wheel mounts or rod ends moving or not locked down. I suppose if the rack is really worn, it could be skipping teeth as well.

2. You are beating the hell out of it every ride and bending something.

3. Something is giving way and about to break. A arm tabs, for example.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The most likely thing comes to mind is the 2 u joints on the steering shaft. Each end of both is splined giving you 4 potential areas of slipping if not tight. Add in the steering wheel that's 5 but never heard of the steering wheel slipping.

Like @DG Rider said the steering rack if buggered can cause all kind of issues being off before completely failing.

The amount of the steering wheel being off makes a significant difference too. Is it off like 11am to 1pm off or more from the 12 o'clock center position?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
As said check tightness of shaft spline clamps. Maybe try marking a straight line on the above and below steering shafts (paint pen/nail polish) so you can identify if those splined joints are slipping, or rule those out as the issue.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
It is looking like my issue might be a tie-rod end & knuckle problem. Looks they are going on the order list. Now to find the part numbers…. 🤔

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!