P1000 Cleaning spark arrestor

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got 647 miles on my 1000 and the service wrench with the 1 next to it came on. It looks like I just need to check my oil levels and clean the spark arrestor. How exactly do you clean the spark arrestor. Google and this site showed up with nothing when searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got 647 miles on my 1000 and the service wrench with the 1 next to it came on. It looks like I just need to check my oil levels and clean the spark arrestor. How exactly do you clean the spark arrestor. Google and this site showed up with nothing when searching.

Unbolt it and rub the crap off with a wire brush. I did mine and if your not careful it will tear apart .

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok next question. I'm assuming this is in the exhaust somewhere. Can someone explain or take a picture of it?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Unbolt and pull out the exhaust tip. Clean the screen with carb cleaner, brake cleaner or similar.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Screen is behind my hand.

IMG 20161009 193253272

Wisco pioneer

Wisco pioneer

Apr 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Caution: I just did a full service and while I was removing the exhaust tip to clean the spark arrestor one of the bolts broke off . Going to make sure to have the machine hot next time or replace bolts every so often. Anyone else have this problem???

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Caution: I just did a full service and while I was removing the exhaust tip to clean the spark arrestor one of the bolts broke off . Going to make sure to have the machine hot next time or replace bolts every so often. Anyone else have this problem???
Ya. It's common for the exhaust bolts.
Have to heat it up and try to get it out.
Or just replace the 2 with new and call it a day.
And antiseze.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wisco pioneer

Wisco pioneer

Apr 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yup, my bad for not even thinking of heating it up first. Just ordered a different tip so when that comes I'll try to drill it out. I did put anti seize on this time.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Dose the screen even need cleaning?
I'm thinking the spark arrestor rules are a hold over regulation from a bygone era of 2 stroke leaded gas days when carbon build up on the piston would cause sparks.
I'm not advocating we burn the forest down, the rules need updated to reflect fuel injected engines with a catalytic converter.

The P500 has a diffrent type of spark arrestor with the drain plug.
I have never seen 'carbon' come out of the drain on my fleet of ATVs over the years.
I doubt the plug will ever come out of the P500 (I'm assuming I will not drownd it as I am some what adverse to water deeper than the seat)(but, I'm sure some of the people who have riden with me might think otherwise).

Just my 2 yen worth.

• Haha
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dose the screen even need cleaning?
I'm thinking the spark arrestor rules are a hold over regulation from a bygone era of 2 stroke leaded gas days when carbon build up on the piston would cause sparks.
I'm not advocating we burn the forest down, the rules need updated to reflect fuel injected engines with a catalytic converter.

The P500 has a diffrent type of spark arrestor with the drain plug.
I have never seen 'carbon' come out of the drain on my fleet of ATVs over the years.
I doubt the plug will ever come out of the P500 (I'm assuming I will not drownd it as I am some what adverse to water deeper than the seat)(but, I'm sure some of the people who have riden with me might think otherwise).

Just my 2 yen worth.
Ive pulled my screen a few times in its 5k miles and shes as clean as a whitle!

C

Captain54

Dec 21, 2021
Arizona Territory
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recommend putting penetrating oil on the bolts for a day or so. Even then, be very gentle taking the bolts out. I’ve snapped two off. I’ve cleaned several now up around the 2000 mile range and all have been super clean and a waste of time.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ive pulled my screen a few times in its 5k miles and shes as clean as a whitle!
Was just going to do this little job today.. i have 1600 miles on my '21 P1K-3. Looks like the 10mm bolts are on good, probably rust welded on. I sprayed with a rust buster spray and now just letting it work, hopefully. So if the spray don't work then any suggestions?

Reactions: ChadD and Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!