P1000 Clutch recall not done. Options?

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
They just quoted me the parts. $182 for the primary housing and $12 for the secondary. I assume they will nail me for $ for the fluids as well. The lady I talked to today seems to know her stuff. She didn't think it was going to be covered since it had expired. So basically $600ish parts and labor. Seems reasonable.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It does seem to shift a little lurchy but I had actually read that was normal so if I hadn't seen the information on the clutch service bulletin here I would be going on my merry way without a concern in the world about it.
That lurchy is much worse in an original 16’ set up. After the update, that but all goes away. Not quite all but a marked difference.
Folks that haven't had an original 16’ before the update have no idea🤣

Reactions: npaden
npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Dropped it off this morning. They are waiting on a couple parts. Shop labor is $149 with 2.5 hours in the service bulletin and just under $200 for parts so really hoping for $600ish out the door. They listed off the recalls, throttle body, steering knuckle, and a couple other things. The air intake wasn't on the list but I already have the parts ordered to do that. Probably should have just gone with the 3" radiator type hose but the factory upgrade parts were only $25 or so.

The lady said they were going to try to run the service bulletin on the clutch through on the recalls and see if they could get it through. Seemed really nice and like they knew what they were doing but who really knows.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dropped it off this morning. They are waiting on a couple parts. Shop labor is $149 with 2.5 hours in the service bulletin and just under $200 for parts so really hoping for $600ish out the door. They listed off the recalls, throttle body, steering knuckle, and a couple other things. The air intake wasn't on the list but I already have the parts ordered to do that. Probably should have just gone with the 3" radiator type hose but the factory upgrade parts were only $25 or so.

The lady said they were going to try to run the service bulletin on the clutch through on the recalls and see if they could get it through. Seemed really nice and like they knew what they were doing but who really knows.
Hopefully they get it ran through for you and everything is all good 🤞

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Lol, If your really from Bangladesh, It makes all the since in the world 🤣
All joking aside…
You came off pretty strong on techs and Dealerships in general as why I asked.
Im a 25yr service tech/mechanic (Not Honda)
Lots of school/certifications and Training hrs go into the job still @25yrs. Just like your own job/trade I would presume. In fact I have a training class tomorrow for new equipment.
Bottom line is We are all human and make mistakes and we do our best to fix it right. But on the other hand, if the person working on it isnt experienced or certified from that co, dealership or what have you and screw it up, I get people being upset but we also have to do our research before giving them the work . Ive been on the other end fixing that problem from other co’s many times. IM also for people working on their own stuff if u can. But if u Fuc it up and bring it to us to fix it and try and tell us how to fix it! well….🤷🏻‍♂️
all we ask is to be kind to us and we will be kind to you. Granted there are some hacks out there and it makes our job tougher with customers we get that.
BTW I like a firm handshake as well. You can tell how well a person has a grip on his life.😉

Dont forget to hit reply so we get a noice like above☝🏻. I didnt know u responded. Just happen to see the OP posted again then I seen it.
I fix everything myself......I don't trust you bastards 😆

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I can see where you'd want the clutch upgrade, but if you never abuse your machine, the original design will last indefinitely. My 2016 has 22,000 miles with the original clutches. The key, as you and others have noted, is to never EVER let the clutches slip. (don't hover at an rpm where the clutches are only partially engaged, if you are in any circumstance where you give it the onions and the tires don't IMMEDIATELY turn, get off the gas and winch out.) Remember...this is the same engine and transmission design that Honda developed for it's wonderful Africa Twin motorcycle.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So they have it apart and are telling me that the clutch pack is very close to being toast. Black and smells burnt. I hadn't ridden it enough to really know one way or the other but it did have a pretty good lurch when it was shifting.

Honda isn't going to pay for anything on the housing. They can put it back together with existing clutch or for an extra $1,000 put a new clutch in there.

Told them I would think about it. Any thoughts?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
So they have it apart and are telling me that the clutch pack is very close to being toast. Black and smells burnt. I hadn't ridden it enough to really know one way or the other but it did have a pretty good lurch when it was shifting.

Honda isn't going to pay for anything on the housing. They can put it back together with existing clutch or for an extra $1,000 put a new clutch in there.

Told them I would think about it. Any thoughts?
What happened to the hopefully $600 out the door?

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What happened to the hopefully $600 out the door?
That was if the clutch pack was good and they just changed out the housing and put the existing clutch pack back in there. They are saying that the existing clutch pack is pretty much toast and I should get a new one. The new clutch pack plus labor is $1,000. That seems pretty high. They said the new clutch pack was $562 but that it would take a lot more labor to install it. I would have thought it took the same amount of labor to put the old one back but evidently they don't even have to take the old clutch pack out if it is good when they replace the housing.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That was if the clutch pack was good and they just changed out the housing and put the existing clutch pack back in there. They are saying that the existing clutch pack is pretty much toast and I should get a new one. The new clutch pack plus labor is $1,000. That seems pretty high. They said the new clutch pack was $562 but that it would take a lot more labor to install it. I would have thought it took the same amount of labor to put the old one back but evidently they don't even have to take the old clutch pack out if it is good when they replace the housing.
If they didn't take it out how do they know it's smoked? They've trying to bend you over

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So tell them to do the housing upgrade and then if I smoke the clutch later I'll be out the same $1,000 or I could do it myself possibly following cumminspusher's thread on replacing the clutch?

Looks like I can get the clutch online for $340 plus the gaskets and stuff so that might be an option.

HONDA CLUTCH ASSEMBLY 2016-2021 PIONEER SXS1000 OEM NEW 22500-HL4-003

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
sucks but it is what it is….

price seems fair if that includes some cleaning of the clutch residue and debris out of the belly of the beast

makes sense if they were just replacing cover

Man, it’s apart, tough call to do the work again - is the juice worth the squeeze - good luck with whatever you decide

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So tell them to do the housing upgrade and then if I smoke the clutch later I'll be out the same $1,000 or I could do it myself possibly following cumminspusher's thread on replacing the clutch?

Looks like I can get the clutch online for $340 plus the gaskets and stuff so that might be an option.

HONDA CLUTCH ASSEMBLY 2016-2021 PIONEER SXS1000 OEM NEW 22500-HL4-003
Was the clutch slipping before? If no one had mentioned the update would you even be thinking about this at all?

Personally I think the dealer is phucking you over but that's just me and I don't trust anyone.......ANYONE..... working on my stuff, period, end of story. In the end it's your call but if it wasn't slipping before chances are it'll be just fine for quite a while, years maybe. My advice, tell the dealer to suck it, download the manual and get familiar with your buggy in the event you ever need to change the clutch.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Was the clutch slipping before? If no one had mentioned the update would you even be thinking about this at all?

Personally I think the dealer is phucking you over but that's just me and I don't trust anyone.......ANYONE..... working on my stuff, period, end of story. In the end it's your call but if it wasn't slipping before chances are it'll be just fine for quite a while, years maybe. My advice, tell the dealer to suck it, download the manual and get familiar with your buggy in the event you ever need to change the clutch.
:eek: Tell us you don't like dealership service departments without telling us you don't like dealership service departments!!!:eek::eek:

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Sorry if someone mentioned this already but not going to read the whole thing.

Recalls have no expiration, only service bulletins do.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
:eek: Tell us you don't like dealership service departments without telling us you don't like dealership service departments!!!:eek::eek:
It's more the idea of paying someone triple digit hourly rates to do something I can do myself but I tend to be just a bit more mechanically inclined than the average customer 🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!