P1000m5 Dropped cam sprocket bolt while swapping head

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have a 2016 1000-5 deluxe that was having issues overheating believed to be caused by a warped head. So I got a new head and was putting it back together and got everything in and was putting the bolts in the cam sprocket and dropped one into the motor. Should have stuffed a paper towel like I did when I took them out. But regardless it is the motor now, so any recommendations on how to get it out? Anywhere I can put a pocket magnet in to fish it out? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
any recommendations on how to get it out? Anywhere I can put a pocket magnet in to fish it out?
You can try that, but either way your Fucd!
Looking at a tear down if the magnet dont work. Good luck!

BTW how many miles and how did u determine the head was warped? Big job for a “believed” and not a 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I have a 2016 1000-5 deluxe that was having issues overheating believed to be caused by a warped head. So I got a new head and was putting it back together and got everything in and was putting the bolts in the cam sprocket and dropped one into the motor. Should have stuffed a paper towel like I did when I took them out. But regardless it is the motor now, so any recommendations on how to get it out? Anywhere I can put a pocket magnet in to fish it out? Thanks

ahhh, no worries - s*** happens -

magnet, long forceps, shop vac with a piece of small diameter vinyl hose, - basic fishing

Worse cones to worse, just take oil pan off

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm thinking one of those magnets on the flexible coil type handle, just take your time, you'll get it

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can try that, but either way your Fucd!
Looking at a tear down if the magnet dont work. Good luck!

BTW how many miles and how did u determine the head was warped? Big job for a “believed” and not a 100%

Well I’ve done everything to try not to overheat but finally found out that it was pressurizing the coolant system, not surprising since it spent its whole life at the mud park and I’d ride it hours after the light was flashing at me. Really shocked it made it this long, but got a great deal on a used head from a 1000 that had electrical issues, so almost had it swapped and dropped the dang bolt

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ahhh, no worries - s*** happens -

magnet, long forceps, shop vac with a piece of small diameter vinyl hose, - basic fishing

Worse cones to worse, just take oil pan off

How might one take the oil pan off? Didn’t know they had one. Thought if I could fish it out someday I would have to split the case

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it turns out just needed to sleep on it.
9baa8652aa29fa3c9c327b9023a4a7c5

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it turns out just needed to sleep on it.
View attachment 419288

Glad this worked. I dropped a roll of vinyl tape in the air intake and beat myself up for not covering the intake whilst working above it. The fine folks on this site helped me fix it without a big tear down. (It involved a leaf blower, string and a rag.)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Easy, turn it upside down and shake it. 😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!