Engine cuts out at 12 MPH

brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
I recently bought a 2015 Pioneer 700 that needed work. At about 12 MPH the engine cuts out which makes me think of a seat belt safety switch but the wiring diagram does not show a safety switch and there are no wires near the inside seat belt buckles. If I unplug the speedometer wires at the differential, then it no longer cuts out and drives much faster. Any ideas how to fix it correctly?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any dash lights especially sequence of flashes before/at startup? Thinking here that the machine could be putting itself in limp mode.

And at the risk of asking a dumb question…if the seatbelts are fastened does the problem persist? I’m assuming yes being that you already thought seat belt safety switch.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I recently bought a 2015 Pioneer 700 that needed work. At about 12 MPH the engine cuts out which makes me think of a seat belt safety switch but the wiring diagram does not show a safety switch and there are no wires near the inside seat belt buckles. If I unplug the speedometer wires at the differential, then it no longer cuts out and drives much faster. Any ideas how to fix it correctly?
Did you try fastening the drivers seat belt? I don't thjink the 2015 MY had that sensor but I never had a Pioneer 700,

Reactions: ChadD and Remington
brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
There are 30 flashes of the round seat belt light on the display each time I turn the key to the "on" position. The SXS was missing seat belts when I bought it. I purchased aftermarket seat belts that have no wires for confirming that the drivers seat belt is buckled. I don't see wiring behind the seats to plug a wired seat belt into or to "jumper" it. I agree that it must be going into limp mode but don't know how to stop it other than disconnecting the speedometer wires. Is there a table for understanding the display flashes?

IMG 0096

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are 30 flashes of the round seat belt light on the display each time I turn the key to the "on" position. The SXS was missing seat belts when I bought it. I purchased aftermarket seat belts that have no wires for confirming that the drivers seat belt is buckled. I don't see wiring behind the seats to plug a wired seat belt into or to "jumper" it. I agree that it must be going into limp mode but don't know how to stop it other than disconnecting the speedometer wires. Is there a table for understanding the display flashes?

View attachment 409224
Record the flashing sequence and post the video to YouTube or similar then post that video link to the forum. Some of the smart peeps on the forum can help you figure out what they mean.

It should be a series of short and long flashes and yes they can be cross referenced to the shop manual.

As a side note….Lifetime and Supporting members generally have access to digital versions of the various models shop manuals. I can’t say they are all there but it seems most of them are.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't speak for the your 700 exactly but I was able to take the driver seat belt apart on my 1000 and remove a little magnet u shaped piece in there that would allow it to not have the seatbelt done up. I don't know exactly if yours has it, if you aren't seeing any wires from the seatbelt, but it might be worth looking at. I also know that the my '15 700 would shift from 1st to 2nd at 12 mph so maybe it has something to do with the shifting vs the seat belt. Hope you can get it figured out.

Reactions: NewHere2 and ChadD
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here some info on the piece I removed. Looks like 2017 and later models had the seatbelt feature.

Reactions: ChadD
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally went back and reread your situation and see you didn't have seatbelts to take this piece out. Here is a link to the seatbelt by pass kit from the forum store. There is also a video of its installation that might shed a little light on where it needs to go. Once again hopefully you can figure it out.

Reactions: ChadD and CID
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I am here to confirm the 700 is not showing a seat belt limiter until 2017.

HOWEVER.... Being used, that does not rule out someone installed a 2017+ ECU into your machine.
This would cause this very issue with no continued flashing light

How to check this...
The ECU will have a part number on it.
Post it for review.

Ex...
HL3-A42
HL3-602
HL3-G02

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am here to confirm the 700 is not showing a seat belt limiter until 2017.

HOWEVER.... Being used, that does not rule out someone installed a 2017+ ECU into your machine.
This would cause this very issue with no continued flashing light

How to check this...
The ECU will have a part number on it.
Post it for review.

Ex...
HL3-A42
HL3-602
HL3-G02

The ECU has an HL3-A42 part number on it.

What can we learn from that?

Just combining the two posts so @Hondasxs can see an alert for your question.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you ever want to respond to another member in the threads just click reply.

If you ever want to get someone's attention place an @ symbol in front of their forum handle name.

@brad bevins

If you do not do that then the other member may never get an alert that you wanted to speak with them.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks @Robobrainiac

@brad bevins
I have no additional info or answers.
The part # 38770-HL3-A42 matches a 2015 unit.
Which should not have the seatbelt speed limiter.
I was really hoping that was the case as I have seen that before and had an easy fix.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!