AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a couple video's of my ride on 8-6-2016 on the trails around Eureka Alaska. We were scouting for caribou. As usual, the P1K-5D didn't disappoint. It was a beautiful day and we saw 30 to 40 bou. There's only a few of them in the vids though. We did about 48 miles round trip.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Forgot to add a few pics that I took on Monument Peak.

GOPR0361 1 GOPR0366 GOPR0367 GOPR0368 GOPR0369 GOPR0370

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a couple video's of my ride on 8-6-2016 on the trails around Eureka Alaska. We were scouting for caribou. As usual, the P1K-5D didn't disappoint. It was a beautiful day and we saw 30 to 40 bou. There's only a few of them in the vids though. We did about 48 miles round trip.

Thanks for the vids. I can't make opening day, but will be up as soon as I get mine snorkels.. I won't try lil Nel with out the pipes. But I enjoyed seeing how the p1000 handled the trail.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the vids. I can't make opening day, but will be up as soon as I get mine snorkels.. I won't try lil Nel with out the pipes. But I enjoyed seeing how the p1000 handled the trail.

Welcome to the forum! I didn't draw for it, but I'm going to help a friend and possibly scout for moose. The machine had no problems at all. Since much of the ride was at speeds below 20 I stayed in low pretty much the entire day and usually was manually shifting. I ran in 2WD mostly, and used 4WDL on the big climbs and ascents. Every once in a while I had steam through the shift lever, but nothing that bothered me. The weather couldn't have been better considering it was raining in Anchorage and the Valley all day. Hopefully it will be that nice on the 20th.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! I didn't draw for it, but I'm going to help a friend and possibly scout for moose. The machine had no problems at all. Since much of the ride was at speeds below 20 I stayed in low pretty much the entire day and usually was manually shifting. I ran in 2WD mostly, and used 4WDL on the big climbs and ascents. Every once in a while I had steam through the shift lever, but nothing that bothered me. The weather couldn't have been better considering it was raining in Anchorage and the Valley all day. Hopefully it will be that nice on the 20th.
I've been running a ranger since 2009. Just picked up my p1000 Saturday. Snorkeling this week when the parts gets here. I need to do shields and a arm protectors. I got a tag this year. I usually go to Horsepasture. How does the p1k handle the trail coming back up from nelchina to monument? I'd think with the locking dif and low range, you'd have no issues at all. Other than the ruts. I'm heading out to Jim creek this weekend just to say I drove it. Heading to eureka 1st of September.

I liked your idea about those of us in the area getting together. I'm in.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been running a ranger since 2009. Just picked up my p1000 Saturday. Snorkeling this week when the parts gets here. I need to do shields and a arm protectors. I got a tag this year. I usually go to Horsepasture. How does the p1k handle the trail coming back up from nelchina to monument? I'd think with the locking dif and low range, you'd have no issues at all. Other than the ruts. I'm heading out to Jim creek this weekend just to say I drove it. Heading to eureka 1st of September.

I liked your idea about those of us in the area getting together. I'm in.

I put on the Trail Armor skids and A arm guards. If you check out my videos on Youtube (AKRider) I've annotated the different times for climbs and stuff if you want to watch it climb out of the Nelchina. I think it did awesome.

It would be great to get a group of Pioneer owners together. Not sure if that's going to happen during hunting season, though. Good luck on your hunt!

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put on the Trail Armor skids and A arm guards. If you check out my videos on Youtube (AKRider) I've annotated the different times for climbs and stuff if you want to watch it climb out of the Nelchina. I think it did awesome.

It would be great to get a group of Pioneer owners together. Not sure if that's going to happen during hunting season, though. Good luck on your hunt!

Nice video! Gotta get the others setup with a camera, so we can see the 1000 in action!

Sounds like a good plan! Alaska Honda Pioneer Group Ride.

I didn't get drawn for Unit 13 bou this year, but I plan to take a trip up to Eureka and look for one for a friend as well. Might go in 25-30 miles or so, and see what we can find. Setup base camp, and see if anything moves through (2-3 day trip or so).

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice video! Gotta get the others setup with a camera, so we can see the 1000 in action!

Sounds like a good plan! Alaska Honda Pioneer Group Ride.

I didn't get drawn for Unit 13 bou this year, but I plan to take a trip up to Eureka and look for one for a friend as well. Might go in 25-30 miles or so, and see what we can find. Setup base camp, and see if anything moves through (2-3 day trip or so).

They were few and far between, and my buddy didn't even get a shot. It was a good trip though. Went up Yacko Creek to stay away from the crowd. Got soaked Friday night. I have video of uphill halls that I need to edit and post. I was towing a meat trailer filled 3/4 with firewood and the rest with gear. The P1K did awesome!

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
few of them in the vids though
They were few and far between, and my buddy didn't even get a shot. It was a good trip though. Went up Yacko Creek to stay away from the crowd. Got soaked Friday night. I have video of uphill halls that I need to edit and post. I was towing a meat trailer filled 3/4 with firewood and the rest with gear. The P1K did awesome!

I keep hearing of people installing snorkels and extended vent lines/installing bellows on their machines. I haven't ordered the kit yet, but am thinking about it. Do you have a snorkel? I haven't been over the hood much, maybe the main wave when crossing a deep creek, but not for any extended period of time. With the intake above the headlights, I hadn't been worrying about it much. I guess the first time I hit a deep hole, I will wish I had it then......

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I keep hearing of people installing snorkels and extended vent lines/installing bellows on their machines. I haven't ordered the kit yet, but am thinking about it. Do you have a snorkel? I haven't been over the hood much, maybe the main wave when crossing a deep creek, but not for any extended period of time. With the intake above the headlights, I hadn't been worrying about it much. I guess the first time I hit a deep hole, I will wish I had it then......
SNORKEL!!!!! The intake is just behind the fan. I haven't been out because I had no snorkel. Check out @CumminsPusher thread and also @Delton. I see you live in Anchorage so pm me and come on by. I'll show you my set up. I have the eBay snorkel, did all my vents and modified the snorkel based on @Delton snorkel. Going to Jim creek tomorrow for the inauguration.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Revtech is more then correct here! You really need to snorkel it. Slow speed crossings are fine to a degree but it sounds like you're getting close anyways and all it takes is once. You may already have some water trapped in the down pipe. Get the breather up where it belongs and also the vent lines as it is close if possibly under already. You won't need to worry ever again for just a few bucks there are lots of great ideas on snorkeling some range from 10$ to a couple hundred but for you I'd keep it higher out of the water. Look around and find a setup you like and just ask. People here are very willing to help keep you safe

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What @Revtech100 and @CumminsPusher said. Even a little water up to the hood can possibly be sucked in. Also, the vent lines for the fuel tank and sub-trans go into the from just underneath the seat. The peace of mind is well worth the time. I snorkeled the intake through the hood, and ran all the vent lines (front and rear diffs, fuel tank, sub-trans, radiator fan and drive mode selector box) all the way to the top of the roll cage under the roof.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can tie the rear diff, adjuster box and sub trans together under the drivers seat then extend to the roof. The fan and front diff can tie together just above the front diff. Then extend that vent from under the hood up to roof top. Venting is easy. Snorkel it either way like @AKRider or @Delton, but snorkel it. If you want to snorkel like @AKRider i have the 3" aluminum pipe you'll need.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!