P700 Exhaust chirp

S

Shoe3

Apr 6, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-4
i am having trouble with my 2018 700-4. The bike has about 200 miles on it. After the bike warms up, it chirps just like a belt is slipping at idle. It is driving me crazy. I think it is the exhaust shield. I have sprayed all the sub frame rubber grommets as suggested in another thread. It doesn’t seem to helpAny advice?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What might be easier is to temporarily remove the shields completely and see if it's gone.
Mine did this chronically if I didn't keep the clamps tight, but usually over a short temp span when warming up. Tighten the clamps often, and be prepared when they strip...which they do easily. I cut sections of header wrap and put under the contact points on the shields AND under the clamps ( between the clamp and shield). Make sure the clamp overruns are bent away from the shields. And also check the bolts where the front/rear sections go together. They loosen as well.

S

Shoe3

Apr 6, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-4
What might be easier is to temporarily remove the shields completely and see if it's gone.
Mine did this chronically if I didn't keep the clamps tight, but usually over a short temp span when warming up. Tighten the clamps often, and be prepared when they strip...which they do easily. I cut sections of header wrap and put under the contact points on the shields AND under the clamps ( between the clamp and shield). Make sure the clamp overruns are bent away from the shields. And also check the bolts where the front/rear sections go together. They loosen as well.

Thank you for taking the time to post. I took your advice and I have made a lot of progress with my chirp. I still have a few more clamps to do in the back, but the bike has quieted way down and I am much happier already. Thanks again!

Reactions: Tflynn and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you for taking the time to post. I took your advice and I have made a lot of progress with my chirp. I still have a few more clamps to do in the back, but the bike has quieted way down and I am much happier already. Thanks again!
Sure thing!
Those heat shields are the source of a lot of noise, i suspect. Including some resonance that gets credited to the engine.

Reactions: Deluxe700