P700m4 Exhaust pipe seems to short

C

chelly

Mar 20, 2024
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
2021 Pioneer 4 seater with about 5,000 miles (original owner used it as a daily driver around town). I couldn't get the exhaust joint to seal well, so I assumed the header pipe was warped, so I replaced it (and replaced the standard clamp with a 1 3/4" exhaust clamp while I was at it. However, it still doesn't seem like the header pipe goes far enough into the exhaust pipe to get a good seal. The gasket goes in far enough to clamp around, but the slots in the exhaust pipe still let exhaust out and it's loud from the joint. It seems like the header pipe should go in farther, so the gasket goes in past the clamp and not have the clamp tighten down around the gasket itself. What can I do to get the header pipe to go further into the exhaust pipe so I can get a better seal and keep it quieter? Anyone else have this issue?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi - we love pics of the machine and your problem area - so kindly post up

Is it all stock ? No aftermarket exhaust, etc. ?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
2021 Pioneer 4 seater with about 5,000 miles (original owner used it as a daily driver around town). I couldn't get the exhaust joint to seal well, so I assumed the header pipe was warped, so I replaced it (and replaced the standard clamp with a 1 3/4" exhaust clamp while I was at it. However, it still doesn't seem like the header pipe goes far enough into the exhaust pipe to get a good seal. The gasket goes in far enough to clamp around, but the slots in the exhaust pipe still let exhaust out and it's loud from the joint. It seems like the header pipe should go in farther, so the gasket goes in past the clamp and not have the clamp tighten down around the gasket itself. What can I do to get the header pipe to go further into the exhaust pipe so I can get a better seal and keep it quieter? Anyone else have this issue?
Last time i was told my pipe was too short it was kinda embarrassing 😳

C

chelly

Mar 20, 2024
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’ve added a silent rider muffler, trying to quiet it down, but other than that the exhaust is stock. You can see here that the gasket on the header pipe is not going into the exhaust pipe as far as I would like. It would seem this problem would be less of an issue if the upper end of the header pipe went into the block a little bit more as you can see by the second picture. It’s like the whole header pipe is just pushed too far forward to get a good seal in the exhaust pipe.

IMG 4385 IMG 4386

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve added a silent rider muffler, trying to quiet it down, but other than that the exhaust is stock. You can see here that the gasket on the header pipe is not going into the exhaust pipe as far as I would like. It would seem this problem would be less of an issue if the upper end of the header pipe went into the block a little bit more as you can see by the second picture. It’s like the whole header pipe is just pushed too far forward to get a good seal in the exhaust pipe.

View attachment 422401 View attachment 422402
Has it been this way since new?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
couldn't get the exhaust joint to seal well, so I assumed the header pipe was warped, so I replaced it (and replaced the standard clamp with a 1 3/4" exhaust clamp while I was at it. However, it still doesn't seem like the header pipe goes far enough into the exhaust pipe to get a good seal.
I see u did replace it my bad.
Where did u get the pipe from?
Sounds like it may have not ben made correctly. Id take it back. Hard to really tell exactly whats going on.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 422401 View attachment 422402
Have you tried a new gasket? I had this issue on my old 700, new gasket solved the problem it was longer than what came out. The silent rider doesn't quiet the machine down very much, but it sure increases the back pressure and makes it run hot. I think the extra heat is what caused the gasket issue. I pulled mine off and added sound deadening under the floor, the panel at the back of your legs and under the seat. That made a bigger difference the the silent rider

C

chelly

Mar 20, 2024
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have you tried a new gasket? I had this issue on my old 700, new gasket solved the problem it was longer than what came out. The silent rider doesn't quiet the machine down very much, but it sure increases the back pressure and makes it run hot. I think the extra heat is what caused the gasket issue. I pulled mine off and added sound deadening under the floor, the panel at the back of your legs and under the seat. That made a bigger difference the the silent rider
Which gasket? The one on the header pipe that goes into the exhaust pipe is press-fit onto the pipe, so it can't be swapped out. The gasket between the header pipe and the block is just a ring. What did you use for sound-deadening material? I find that idea very intriguing.

Reactions: Buggyman
C

chelly

Mar 20, 2024
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I see u did replace it my bad.
Where did u get the pipe from?
Sounds like it may have not ben made correctly. Id take it back. Hard to really tell exactly whats going on.
I ordered it from Partzilla. No dealers where I live, so taking it in someplace isn't an option, unfortunately.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
C

chelly

Mar 20, 2024
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Has it been this way since new?
I bought it last year with 5,000 miles on it. It's always been loud, but I started looking into it more closely when the header pipe popped out of the exhaust pipe. That's when I realized how much of the sound was coming from that joint, and that the exhaust was coming out of the slits in the exhaust pipe.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I bought it last year with 5,000 miles on it. It's always been loud, but I started looking into it more closely when the header pipe popped out of the exhaust pipe. That's when I realized how much of the sound was coming from that joint, and that the exhaust was coming out of the slits in the exhaust pipe.
Man I hope u got a good deal on the rig then when u bought it that way? That would have been a red flag to me. Sounds like after all you've done, there is alot more of something serious than just that pipe going on that u weren't told. At this point we cant tell without physical hands AND eyes on it. If u have a dealer or a local shop u can take it to? Even it it means driving a bit, might be your best shot at this point, cuz we are just throwing darts at it right now, cuz obviously it just looks like u need to find a way to get the manifold in there simple as that. But if it wont go then u have something more serious wrong! What? Dont know till physical hands can get in that rig. Maybe someone else will pipe in that can wave a wand and figure it out? As a mechanical tech (not a honda tech) I need my hands on it to go further.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi - thanks for posting the pics, with remmy on this, very hard to tell......

im guessing here, take it all off, put it on the bench, get that joint coupled correctly then try to fit it back on

-advice is to get rid of that silent rider, most comments are a little bit quieter but they cause back pressure - heat back into the machine and makes the heat worse
-it could be a bent hanger somewhere
-those slotted slip joints are tricky, fixed a bunch of them on multiple machines over time - they are finicky to get flared, get the gasket in and get the pipe pushed in - lots of times I had to just put on the bench and get it flared just right
-if worse comes to worse - just put some exhaust wrap around that joint and move on

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just a question here. Are those header bolts bottomed out? Are they the right ones?

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which gasket? The one on the header pipe that goes into the exhaust pipe is press-fit onto the pipe, so it can't be swapped out. The gasket between the header pipe and the block is just a ring. What did you use for sound-deadening material? I find that idea very intriguing.
The gasket I'm referring to is Part # 18392-MBH-000 its item 13 on the partzilla diagram. The back half of the exhaust is hung with rubber, check that nothing got whacked by the previous owner, see if you can shift it forward. I recall that I had to loosen and shift a lot of things to get the new gasket in.
For sound deadening I used 1-2 layers of DynaMat Extreme and where space allowed I added a layer of DynaMat Hood liner. I read somewhere on here that people lined the air box with something to quiet that down. Do you have a enclosed cab? if so try some cab liner as used in tractors to stop the noise from bouncing around. Ultimately I found the best way to quiet down a 700 was to get a P1000
Do a search up top for P700 noise reduction

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!