Fixed//Front final clutch / i4wd freezing front wheels - wont turn

mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hoping someone may have experienced same issue:

I4wd light on, front axles fully frozen wheels wont turn (no rotation whatsoever) both sides only code is a 103 (can communication failure). Only way ive found to unfreeze front wheels is pull diff off clutch (assuming this demagnatizes it and thus releases front gears/wheels).

Engine starts and runs fine. Rear wheels fine.

Pulled front diff case, reinstalled axles spun freely until power applied. Now frozen up again both sides. Brake lines removed, it is not locked brakes. Batt on power is causing the front clutch to lock the front drive, only code remains re-ocurring 103.

Potentially caused by reverse batt install, 50 amp fuse replaced all other fuses good. (Don't swap batteries in the dark).

Thinking my i4wd or pcm module is toast. Anyone know if the front clutch has its own electronic module (ecu)?

This is one of those fun little nightmares, any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hoping someone may have experienced same issue:

I4wd light on, front axles fully frozen wheels wont turn both sides code 103 (can communication failure).

Pulled front diff case, reinstalled axles spun freely until power applied. Now frozen up again both sides.

Potentially caused by reverse batt install, 50 amp fuse replaced all other fuses good. Thinking my i4wd module is toast, but unclear why it would freeze both axles instead of just not working?
wow - you need to post pics first and foremost,

need more specifics such as machine starts, runs forward pushing the front wheels along, etc. goes through gears, etc.....

there has to be more to this..?

front diff is "electromagnet" to activate "mechanical 4wd"

u sure front brakes are not engaged via electronic crap?

I am outta talent at this point but my hunch is all codes need to be cleared first before moving on to other stuff

generally its the last thing u touched, sounds like maybe battery reversed was last thing u touched......

mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
wow - you need to post pics first and foremost,

need more specifics such as machine starts, runs forward pushing the front wheels along, etc. goes through gears, etc.....

there has to be more to this..?

front diff is "electromagnet" to activate "mechanical 4wd"

u sure front brakes are not engaged via electronic crap?

I am outta talent at this point but my hunch is all codes need to be cleared first before moving on to other stuff

generally its the last thing u touched, sounds like maybe battery reversed was last thing u touched......
Thank you - I updated the op with more current info. Front clutch is fully freezing both front wheels once power is applied. I pulled the diff which released it as soon as I turned keyed power it froze up again.

Good call on the brakes, that was my 1st thought. Pulled lines when I pulled the diff. 100% its the clutch which is making me think the i4wd light is a symptom and the 103 code (ecu comm failure) is pointing to the source issue.

This is up there with spending weeks looking for an intermittent bad ground, just a really fun little nightmare!

• Sad
Reactions: NewHere2 and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
damn…….. I am sure you tried this - what if u unplug the clutch up front?

and I think there is a diode as well in the power circuit - you check/knock off the list

Reactions: NewHere2
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You have a locker?
Otherwise, as it is somewhat an open diff, even if the 4x4 clutch is locked up (broken), the front tires should turn counter to each other when off the ground.
Is this not happening?

Reactions: NewHere2 and Jerryg
mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You have a locker?
Otherwise, as it is somewhat an open diff, even if the 4x4 clutch is locked up (broken), the front tires should turn counter to each other when off the ground.
Is this not happening?
No they are completely frozen. I can unfreeze it only by separating the diff and clutch.

• Wow
Reactions: NewHere2 and Jerryg
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
IDK... Dont make no sense.
The clutch should not prevent counter-rotation at all.
There is nothing inside the front diff that engages when 4x4 is turned on.
Its all at the clutch.
Well darn - we may have the first set of self welding something up front

now I’m curious -

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
If you blew that 50 Amp fuse, most likely you fried something else in that circuit. Or shorted somewhere along the harness.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No they are completely frozen. I can unfreeze it only by separating the diff and clutch.
I'll respond to your PM in a bit but I'm curious..... how are you testing this? Up on jack stands with all 4 wheels in the air and driving?

The front driveshaft spins anytime the vehicle is in motion so that means the back half of the 4wd clutch also spins with it regardless of whether it's engaged or not.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'll respond to your PM in a bit but I'm curious..... how are you testing this? Up on jack stands with all 4 wheels in the air and driving?

The front driveshaft spins anytime the vehicle is in motion so that means the back half of the 4wd clutch also spins with it regardless of whether it's engaged or not.
I figured he was aware of this.
But just in case... it also won't spin in the park.

Reactions: NewHere2 and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Here is the diagram I sent you in the PM, lets keep anymore communications here so others can help or search in the event someone else runs into the issue.
I4wd

As far as the code 103..... it doesn't exist, could it be a 1-3? That is a Front left wheel speed sensor, is it unplugged by chance? I doubt this has anything to do with your issue.

Do the front tires spin freely with the clutch disengaged?

Try this, jack the machine up with all 4 tires in the air, sub trans in neutral, key on & i4wd engaged, now try to spin the rear tires. Both rears and fronts should turn, if the fronts are really locked up none of the tires will turn.

The only thing I'm unsure of is if the engine has to be running, I don't remember is the i4wd clutch will engage with key on/engine off.

mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well darn - we may have the first set of self welding something up front

now I’m curious -
Not self welded or i wouldn't be able to disengage it manually by sliding diff case off. Once I do that axles spin. Once I key power they freeze.

mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Here is the diagram I sent you in the PM, lets keep anymore communications here so others can help or search in the event someone else runs into the issue.
View attachment 413444

As far as the code 103..... it doesn't exist, could it be a 1-3? That is a Front left wheel speed sensor, is it unplugged by chance? I doubt this has anything to do with your issue.

Do the front tires spin freely with the clutch disengaged?

Try this, jack the machine up with all 4 tires in the air, sub trans in neutral, key on & i4wd engaged, now try to spin the rear tires. Both rears and fronts should turn, if the fronts are really locked up none of the tires will turn.

The only thing I'm unsure of is if the engine has to be running, I don't remember is the i4wd clutch will engage with key on/engine off.

mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thank you for posting that and responding.

Code 103 is on service manual pg 4-13. CAN communication malfunction. Diagnostic is CAN L/H continuity, I4WD, PCM. Attached both pages.

Testing was done in neutral with i4wd off. And in drive front wheels were frozen with rear moving. Will post findings back once I fully jack it up.

Again appreciate the perspectives from everyone on the thread.

20240102 145803 20240102 145932

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Yea, I was wondering that myself.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!