SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I love the old history. Post pics of any of the headstones that stick out to you.
Some old history and headstones..................
The Oklahoma land run began on April 22, 1889 at high noon when they shot off a cannon at Fort Reno, about 10 miles South of the current Beecham Cemetery, and 50,000 + settlers hauled ass to stake claims on free land.
Some Union Civil War veterans who had distinguished service were awarded land prior to the land run. Nathan Beecham, my wife's great grandfather, was one of those guys.
Nathan

Nathan Beecham. company B, 25th Illinois Infantry

A couple of years after the great land run, a diptheria epidemic killed many young children and they had no established cemetery to bury them. Nathan donated some of his land for the first cemetery in the Oklahoma Territory. They were dirt poor settlers and had little money for grave markers, so most just put up wooden crosses or etched something on a rock or simply placed a plain stone of some kind, on graves of an estimated 20 to 30 children.
Children

After the children were laid to rest there, He decided to make it a family cemetery for the Beechams. All the children are located in one area according to an old map, but no record of who they are.

Memorial day is next week and I am posting just a few our veterans headstones...........
Connolly

Michel Connolly. Company M, 2nd Nebraska Calvary

Peterson

H.F. Peterson, Company L. 21st Kansas Infantry (Spanish American war)

Kreiger

Alfred Kreger. Company F. 16th Missouri Cavalry

Charles f  beecham

Charles F. Beecham. WW I

Charles n

Charles N. Beecham

Watts

Glenn

My Father-in-law. D-Day veteran. Combat Engineers

Sorry this got so long, but one last pic.
Everyone above has Memorial Day flags on their grave today.
Thumbnail

Last edited:
advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some old history and headstones..................
The Oklahoma land run began on April 22, 1889 at high noon when they shot off a cannon at Fort Reno, about 10 miles South of the current Beecham Cemetery, and 50,000 + settlers hauled ass to stake claims on free land.
Some Union Civil War veterans who had distinguished service were awarded land prior to the land run. Nathan Beecham, my wife's great grandfather, was one of those guys.
View attachment 429949

Nathan Beecham. company B, 25th Illinois Infantry

A couple of years after the great land run, a diptheria epidemic killed many young children and they had no established cemetery to bury them. Nathan donated some of his land for the first cemetery in the Oklahoma Territory. They were dirt poor settlers and had little money for grave markers, so most just put up wooden crosses or etched something on a rock or simply placed a plain stone of some kind, on graves of an estimated 20 to 30 children.
View attachment 429951

After the children were laid to rest there, He decided to make it a family cemetery for the Beechams. All the children are located in one area according to an old map, but no record of who they are.

Memorial day is next week and I am posting just a few our veterans headstones...........
View attachment 429959
Michel Connelly. Company M, 2nd Nebraska Calvary

View attachment 429960
H.F. Peterson, Company L. 21st Kansas Infantry (Spanish American war)

View attachment 429962
Alfred Kreger. Company F. 16th Missouri Calvary

View attachment 429963

Charles F. Beecham. WW I

View attachment 429970
Charles N. Beecham

View attachment 429971

View attachment 429972
My Father-in-law. D-Day veteran. Combat Engineers

Sorry this got so long, but one last pic.
Everyone above has Memorial Day flags on their grave today.
View attachment 429975
I'm assuming the 2 that made it to 90 were father and son? Thanks for sharing.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I'm assuming the 2 that made it to 90 were father and son? Thanks for sharing.
Yes, they were father and son. The son was my wifes favorite uncle. Her "Uncle Charlie" retired from the air force and became a part time actor and appeared on a few TV shows and Pizza Hut commercials. I found a pic of him.... he was the preacher who performed the wedding ceremony when J.R. Ewing was married on "Dallas". He is the old dude in the background.
Uncle charlie

Quite a distinguished military career too.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!