P1000 Help me understand this please!!!!

C

Camp

Aug 28, 2017
Saint George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need help. I am not tech savvy, but decided to install super ATV a arms on my 2017 Honda pioneer Limited addition. After I installed the a arms I put 30x10x14 tusk terabytes on the tusk rim. When I turn the machine on my I four-wheel-drive morning light was on, and the hillside assist would not work. I took it to the dealer and they said this:
Hi,
Looks like the ABS Modulator Assy., part has failed. The cost for the part is 1596.72 plus labor to install this would be around 2500.00 We will need your approval if you want us to proceed.
Thanks
When I called them to talk to them about it, they said they were on the phone with Honda for a while and we’re not sure if that was the actual problem.
My question for you guys is obviously when I took and put the front A arms on I might have pulled a sensor or something with the brakes. I know the brake line is super super tight and I was worried about it when I turned the wheel. Does anybody have any experience with this or have gone through this? I feel like I might have just shorted something out and don’t need the whole assembly but I don’t know anything about this topic.

0980348D 688B 4033 BC9D 870243687517 0BD1E89B 9ECC 4593 B9FE 4BE1B4961DD4 6F78802B A44F 4C26 9D86 EA51A49D0366

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I need help. I am not tech savvy, but decided to install super ATV a arms on my 2017 Honda pioneer Limited addition. After I installed the a arms I put 30x10x14 tusk terabytes on the tusk rim. When I turn the machine on my I four-wheel-drive morning light was on, and the hillside assist would not work. I took it to the dealer and they said this:
Hi,
Looks like the ABS Modulator Assy., part has failed. The cost for the part is 1596.72 plus labor to install this would be around 2500.00 We will need your approval if you want us to proceed.
Thanks
When I called them to talk to them about it, they said they were on the phone with Honda for a while and we’re not sure if that was the actual problem.
My question for you guys is obviously when I took and put the front A arms on I might have pulled a sensor or something with the brakes. I know the brake line is super super tight and I was worried about it when I turned the wheel. Does anybody have any experience with this or have gone through this? I feel like I might have just shorted something out and don’t need the whole assembly but I don’t know anything about this topic.

View attachment 382835 View attachment 382836 View attachment 382837
I'm not too familiar with the LE's, I know there's some kind of sensor on the axles though. Maybe @HondaTech can help

Good luck 👍

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I'm not personally super familiar with the LE, but its possible you may have accidentally yanked out or damaged one of those sensors during the install. Its ok if the brake lines are a little tight, but you'll want to check at full drop and full turn just to make sure you have clearance. I'm sure you may need to reroute them to free them up a little. Other than that.....there will probably be some guys with LE's here shortly that may be able to explain your specific issue a little better.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
The front axles have tone rings on them that the front diff uses to sense wheel speed and send along to the ECM/Modulator for the i4WD. If your i4WD was working fine prior to you installing the new stuff, I'd suspect you either pulled a wire out of the plug that goes to the modulator or it isn't completely clipped in. Check the plug that goes here:

C

Camp

Aug 28, 2017
Saint George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The company just sent me this message:
Hi,
When we hook this up to our computer we have proper connection to the front 2 wheels but only one back wheel sensor. We are able to turn on and off the sensors with the computer except the right rear sensor. We have checked all connections to all 4 wheels/sensors and installed a good sensor.
Unfortunatly all the tests point to the ABS system, not responding.
The part # needed is: 57110-HL4-F41 Honda
Thanks
Factory Powersports
So why would this happen to the abs system if all I did was change the front end suspension and put bigger tires on??? Should I just fork out the money or should I look into something I am missing here?

C

Camp

Aug 28, 2017
Saint George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The front axles have tone rings on them that the front diff uses to sense wheel speed and send along to the ECM/Modulator for the i4WD. If your i4WD was working fine prior to you installing the new stuff, I'd suspect you either pulled a wire out of the plug that goes to the modulator or it isn't completely clipped in. Check the plug that goes here:

View attachment 382838
Could this have still happened with the info they just sent me???

advertisement
H

HondaTech

The company just sent me this message:
Hi,
When we hook this up to our computer we have proper connection to the front 2 wheels but only one back wheel sensor. We are able to turn on and off the sensors with the computer except the right rear sensor. We have checked all connections to all 4 wheels/sensors and installed a good sensor.
Unfortunatly all the tests point to the ABS system, not responding.
The part # needed is: 57110-HL4-F41 Honda
Thanks
Factory Powersports
So why would this happen to the abs system if all I did was change the front end suspension and put bigger tires on??? Should I just fork out the money or should I look into something I am missing here?

Unless they have some diagnostic system I'm not aware of or their language is off, dealers cant "turn off/on" sensors. Hondas factory diagnostic hardware/software will let us see the signal the sensor is putting out, or lack of a signal.

Now they may have some other diagnostic machine I'm not familiar with, but I dont know of any hardware that will gives you bidirectional control on Honda products.

Also, I don't know their labor rate, but flat rate for a VSA is .9hrs. Or at our rate of $100/hr would be $90. So there being quite generous with the labor on that estimate.

Last edited:
C

Camp

Aug 28, 2017
Saint George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I just want to get on here and send out a huge huge huge thank you to those of you who responded to my post. You ended up saving me $2500. I took my side-by-side home after telling them not to proceed with fixing it and checked the connections myself that’s all it was is a loose connection, the dealer charged me $150 anyways and still couldn’t find a loose connection that they claimed they checked. Glad I didn’t decide to have them fix the whole ABS system which they wanted to charge me $2500 for once again thank you guys so much I love this forum

F0F98831 2AA0 41F2 9651 18E8A29A6531

C

Camp

Aug 28, 2017
Saint George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unless they have some diagnostic system I'm not aware of or their language is off, dealers cant "turn off/on" sensors. Hondas factory diagnostic hardware/software will let us see the signal the sensor is putting out, or lack of a signal.

Now they may have some other diagnostic machine I'm not familiar with, but I dont know of any hardware that will gives you bidirectional control on Honda products.

Also, I don't know their labor rate, but flat rate for a VSA is .9hrs. Or at our rate of $100/hr would be $90. So there being quite generous with the labor on that estimate.
Thank you for your comment. It made me want a second opinion but ended up finding the problem myself.

C

Camp

Aug 28, 2017
Saint George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 382838
Thank you as well for your comment. It got me thinking I was being screwed with

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m glad you fixed it yourself. You need to rub that in your dealer’s face. Just sayin that they quoted a job, billed you for service, and you fixed it. That doesn’t sit well with me. Dealer owes you something.
100% agree. I would be getting my $150 back

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So I just want to get on here and send out a huge huge huge thank you to those of you who responded to my post. You ended up saving me $2500. I took my side-by-side home after telling them not to proceed with fixing it and checked the connections myself that’s all it was is a loose connection, the dealer charged me $150 anyways and still couldn’t find a loose connection that they claimed they checked. Glad I didn’t decide to have them fix the whole ABS system which they wanted to charge me $2500 for once again thank you guys so much I love this forum

View attachment 383347
Wow....glad you got it figured out 👍

I'd call that dealership back and ask for a refund, they suck!!! I'd never do business with them again if it were me.

Glad you got it going though 👍 now go put some miles on and.......POIDH!!! 😂

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!