Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Special thanks to @JACKAL for helping put this together and providing the detailed images.

Also wish to thank @MAINEYAK for the video guide below.
So like a idiot started a drain through the dipstick hole.... Of course that didn't work and I made a mess so I sucked some of it out dump the rest of it I was supposed to in the correct hole and change the filters. The dipstick now is able to fit back in as I sucked some out but now that I've got it running and what not I still have not been able to get the oil to drop in the dipstick hole. I only use the 12 mm to remove the two plugs. So what am I doing wrong?

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wait wait wait!!!!
There is too many words of hole, suck and in the hole going on in this…😂
NoHomo..

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So like a idiot started a drain through the dipstick hole.... Of course that didn't work and I made a mess so I sucked some of it out dump the rest of it I was supposed to in the correct hole and change the filters. The dipstick now is able to fit back in as I sucked some out but now that I've got it running and what not I still have not been able to get the oil to drop in the dipstick hole. I only use the 12 mm to remove the two plugs. So what am I doing wrong?
You got things all Fubar!
As my ole Pappy use to say….
If you dont know where to start? Go back to the beginning!

That said, youve read the “how to” oil change and what drain plugs to drain and what not. Unfortunately, start like u are changing the oil and drain it all. Then follow the instructions at the top of the page with NEW oil (i know it stinks) but its where you are at this point. Otherwise your gonna make things worse and your gonna get pissed off.

Now when all thats done, you need to post some pics if this P1 you have before the mob comes in here! youve been warned. ;)POIDH.

Reactions: monbecca
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
... start like u are changing the oil and drain it all. Then follow the instructions at the top of the page with NEW oil (i know it stinks) but its where you are at this point. Otherwise your gonna make things worse and your gonna get pissed off.
I would have zero issues with draining and refilling (to the correct level) with the oil that he just drained. The only thing I would refrain from doing is trying to save the "extra" couple of quarts for another oil change later.

• Haha
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You didn't follow the instructions in my oil change guide. Thats what's wrong. Never had this happen. I'm wondering if you accidentally drained the subtransmission and only one of the engine drain plugs. Should be impossible to confuse since they are two different sizes but I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You got things all Fubar!
As my ole Pappy use to say….
If you dont know where to start? Go back to the beginning!

That said, youve read the “how to” oil change and what drain plugs to drain and what not. Unfortunately, start like u are changing the oil and drain it all. Then follow the instructions at the top of the page with NEW oil (i know it stinks) but its where you are at this point. Otherwise your gonna make things worse and your gonna get pissed off.

Now when all thats done, you need to post some pics if this P1 you have before the mob comes in here! youve been warned. ;)

You didn't follow the instructions in my oil change guide. Thats what's wrong. Never had this happen. I'm wondering if you accidentally drained the subtransmission and only one of the engine drain plugs. Should be impossible to confuse since they are two different sizes but I wouldn't assume anything at this point.
Actually I didn't do anything wrong other than adding too much oil. Yes the the sub transmission isn't 12 mm so no I did not remove that

• Wow
Reactions: Scoop and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Actually I didn't do anything wrong other than adding too much oil.
All that just to have too much oil!
Why didnt you JUST say that in the first place🤣
Work Smarter Not Harder didnt apply here! Starting feel like HondaTech 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: GovtMule
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All that just to have too much oil!
Why didnt you JUST say that in the first place🤣
Work Smarter Not Harder didnt aply here! 🤣
Ya... Here it's Just Work smarter 😂
The other gentleman on here help me out quite a bit and is right. I'm going to try to siphon some out today but if I can't then yes I'm going to dump it all out and start fresh all because I overfilled it with a quart and a half too much SMH

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Remington
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Actually I didn't do anything wrong other than adding too much oil. Yes the the sub transmission isn't 12 mm so no I did not remove that
Maybe try tipping the machine onto it's passenger side in case oil is trapped in a section by the dipstick hole, I can't see that it could hold oil in that area but it's a shot if you only added 6.3 quarts to the engine case.

I've done this service at least a dozen times and always used just shy of 2 full gallon jugs of GN4 with about 1.3-1.5 qt. in subtrans and 6.2-6.3 quarts in the engine.

So it matters if you added more than 6.5 quarts, if so tipping won't change anything.

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe try tipping the machine onto it's passenger side in case oil is trapped in a section by the dipstick hole, I can't see that it could hold oil in that area but it's a shot if you only added 6.3 quarts to the engine case.

I've done this service at least a dozen times and always used just shy of 2 full gallon jugs of GN4 with about 1.3-1.5 qt. in subtrans and 6.2-6.3 quarts in the engine.

So it matters if you added more than 6.5 quarts, if so tipping won't change anything.
Ya I'm a idiot and thought it was 8 quarts total instead of 6.... I figure after All the spillage and mess I've made. I probably have a solid quarter and a half too much in there

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ya I'm a idiot and thought it was 8 quarts total instead of 6.... I figure after All the spillage and mess I've made. I probably have a solid quarter and a half too much in there
Ok that makes sense then, Just pull the front drain plug and try again.

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok that makes sense then, Just pull the front drain plug and try again.
I was just about to ask you. Should I pull the front or the back. So I pulled the front and then how many quarts should I add if I end up bringing everything completely out but leaving the filters in?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was just about to ask you. Should I pull the front or the back. So I pulled the front and then how many quarts should I add if I end up bringing everything completely out but leaving the filters in?
Well the safe bet would be drain both completely, then put 6qt even back in and measure according to the instructions- meaning warm the engine up, then turn off and check the level after 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Add oil as needed, if any with filters in.

You cannot check oil levels cold and get an accurate reading.

Reactions: 0860silverado
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the safe bet would be drain both completely, then put 6qt even back in and measure according to the instructions- meaning warm the engine up, then turn off and check the level after 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Add oil as needed, if any with filters in.

Got it. Ty again

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
1. Follow the official 67 step process to ensure your oil level is correct.

2. Let the buggy sit until it has completed cooled down.

3. Pull the dipstick and determine the oil level when not hot. Score or mark your dipstick there.

Now you have a reference mark for checking the oil without going through the 67 step process.

Never tried it but read it somewhere. Seems logical.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
1. Follow the official 67 step process to ensure your oil level is correct.

2. Let the buggy sit until it has completed cooled down.

3. Pull the dipstick and determine the oil level when not hot. Score or mark your dipstick there.

Now you have a reference mark for checking the oil without going through the 67 step process.

Never tried it but read it somewhere. Seems logical.
Sooo recommending a non routine method without having tried it successfully yourself is how the guy ended up here.

Follow the procedure or take your chances 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sooo recommending a non routine method without having tried it successfully yourself is how the guy ended up here.

I think I've got it figured out. I pumped out more than a quart and a half out of the sub transmission which is where I accidentally put it. I found out. And I was able to save it. I'm going to warm the machine up and recheck all the levels and add accordingly where it's needed. I actually think I sucked out more than I put in in the sub on top of what was in there from factor but it is still reading a little above the full line. I'm almost there. If all goes well I should only have to add a little bit more to the sub transmission and top off the oil with the qt and half I misplaced .

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

Nope.

@QuietStroller failed to follow the recommended procedure. His bad.

I shared what I read, including the disclaimer.

This ain't really that hard to follow.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!