Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

J

JTW

Thanks for this walk-through. I used it myself. Lol. Changed mine tonight.
Thought the filters were a little dark. But I have been having some alpha clutch high revs. I think we know whats coming with that.

Left filter is just for comparison.

5a0db41ed8d4be94490b0d577391dd6e.jpg
Uh oh..

Reactions: Eltobgi
J

Jshell3

Thanks for this walk-through. I used it myself. Lol. Changed mine tonight.
Thought the filters were a little dark. But I have been having some alpha clutch high revs. I think we know whats coming with that.

Left filter is just for comparison.

5a0db41ed8d4be94490b0d577391dd6e
Nah. Don't sweat it. I have 10.5 EAZY hours on my oil filters... they looked about the same.
Oil was clear. Filters were dark in color. (You're gonna make me get out of bed and go take a picture of them)
I just walked across the yard in my underwear and a pair of my son's Crocs for you. Cellphone in hand!
IMG 4389
IMG 4390
IMG 4391
IMG 4393
IMG 4394

It's all about white balance and camera exposure... the same filters shot against different color backgrounds.

PS... I dug them out of the trash can. So there's more foreign crap stuck between the fins than there should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

Nah. Don't sweat it. I have 10.5 EAZY hours on my oil filters... they looked about the same.
Oil was clear. Filters were dark in color. (You're gonna make me get out of bed and go take a picture of them)
I just walked across the yard in my underwear and a pair of my son's Crocs for you. Cellphone in hand!
View attachment 38815 View attachment 38816 View attachment 38817 View attachment 38818 View attachment 38819

It's all about white balance and camera exposure... the same filters shot against different color backgrounds.

PS... I dug them out of the trash can. So there's more foreign crap stuck between the fins than there should be.
Just thought about this... still think your filters weren't telling you what was to come?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've thought the same thing. But I don't know what a 20 hour oil change and filter SHOULD look like.

An education can be expensive!

Reactions: JTW
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just did my first (and second... long story) oil change on my machine. When smooth except the dealer sold me the wrong filter so I had to drive 40 minutes each way to the only dealer around that was still open at 2:30 on a Saturday. This write up was very helpful.

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First Oil change complete! Went relatively smooth. Filters didn't yield anything to alarming. 7434f4c3ffbe1e0ae454e58196c50f76

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take the rear drivers side tire off to safe yourself a lot of frustration. Or hire a midget contortionist and drink a brew and watch them do it. Kind of a pain in the butt. Still not worth $350 at the dealer.

Reactions: Average_Joe
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take the rear drivers side tire off to safe yourself a lot of frustration. Or hire a midget contortionist and drink a brew and watch them do it. Kind of a pain in the butt. Still not worth $350 at the dealer.

How do you know that? You've never even checked your oil.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you know that? You've never even checked your oil.

I did today. Not fun either. The location for the dipstick is stupid. As is the location for most of that crap. I guess this is the disadvantage to such a tightly packed machine. If it was as long as a Ranger crew or Rzr 4 there would be all kinds of room...

Reactions: JTW
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im with @nbomar , they could have made service and routine fluid checks a little more user friendly! And i also DO check my oil

Reactions: JTW and nbomar
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im with @nbomar , they could have made service and routine fluid checks a little more user friendly! And i also DO check my oil

I’ve done it now so I can’t claim that anymore. But it was true. I had to look in the service manual for where the stupid thing was. If there is mud splattered on the back of the rubber which mine had and you let it go after you pull the dipstick you run the risk of mud and dirt falling into the engine. Stupid...

Reactions: Tramguage1
Rincon

Rincon

Jul 27, 2017
Yuba City, North California.State Of Jefferson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well..............Great write up, wish I would have paid more attention. Sent my boys down to the same dealer I just bought my Pioneer from.....2 weeks ago.....and ask them to pick up an oil filter and DCT filter. Well MY dealership sends them home with the correct engine oil filter, and one that looks like it would fit my Rincon for the DCT. Should have text the PN's to my boys. Oh, and I just cut a piece of cardboard to act as a deflector and shoved it up in the hole of the skid plate and sub transmission, worked perfect!

Reactions: Tramguage1 and JTW
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
A huge thank you for this guide the back plug I found to be at a really odd angle. I found my fluid levels looked full with only 7 quarts of oil for both fluids being changed and both filters. Is there an easy way to dig the dct filter out my flathead marked up the housing trying to fish it out.

The only thing I recommend adding to the list 2 cans of brake clean to spray off the oil fills, the oil check dipstick area and the skid underneath.

Reactions: 20gauge
T

Tincan

Oct 1, 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great info, I'm coming up to my first oil change and had one question. What are you guys using for oil other than the recommended Honda. As indicated in Honda SxS thread and in the manual that you are not to use oils with API SH or higher oils displaying a circular API " energy conserving" or "resource conserving" I couldn't find oil brands that didn't have that on them at my local automotive store. What brands of oil could I use other than Honda? Thanks.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!