Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am about 52" I think.That is with 5+2 Delta steel wheels with one inch spacers on the rear.Feels very stable to me,even with no sway bar.The stock rims have about 1 1/2" offset,the Delta steels are 2",so my front is only about 2" wider than stock wheels and tires.The 1" spacers bring the rear out just a tad wider than the front.
I have settled on one tire brand, ITP made in the USA, on my second set, never had a flat on either set and I ride the rocks aggressively. They make several tread designs in every size. But as several have said a opinion lasts like a fart in a whirl wind, just know what works for me.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Bumping this thread. Looking for any recent recommendations for 26x9x12 all terrain tires for the Mrs. ‘16 Honda Rancher atv. Considering Radials and new rims for IRS suspension. Have had good experience with the Bighorn type thread pattern.
Thanks.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
BH 2.0's. Light and durable. Probably not cheap though?
Tried to get BH 2.0’s - out of stock so ended up with ITP SS alloy machined rims and regular 26” Bighorn 6 ply Radials. Rocky Mtn ATV, $1.3k before tax for packaged set of four, mounted, and all bling hardware W/ 2 day free delivery.

. 3FAC9C89 78F6 4AB0 B62B E9B356877B02 63DC49B3 E2FE 4687 92D8 BFD3890D39E7

Last edited:
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Bumping this thread. Looking for any recent recommendations for 26x9x12 all terrain tires for the Mrs. ‘16 Honda Rancher atv. Considering Radials and new rims for IRS suspension. Have had good experience with the Bighorn type thread pattern.
Thanks.
I love my Blackwaters, 10 ply. A little ruff going slow on pavement, but I don’t go on pavement much except to cross. They are great in mud. Don’t stand behind them.
😊
Caper

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I love my Blackwaters, 10 ply. A little ruff going slow on pavement, but I don’t go on pavement much except to cross. They are great in mud. Don’t stand behind them.
😊
Caper
Love the Blackwaters on my Grizzly 700 EPS.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I've become very dogmatic about tires at this point... IMHO the Rip-Saw RT's are the best all-round tires for east coast terrain for the P-500 with the possible exception of sand. They are virtually bullet proof, and will get you home with no air at all in them if you ever managed to puncture one. I have tested this, and other reviewers have said the same. They are heavy- helps with c.o.g. They will grip the sides of ruts like cat claws. They are quiet and smooth on hard pack (roads) and wear like steel. They have unsurpassed lateral traction- keeps machine from sliding sideways in slippery off-camber situations. They track straight, with no 'squirmyness' on the road. I had over 3000 miles on my last set and gave those to a friend because I went from 26's to 27's. Conversely, my new wolverine came with Dirt Comanders. I never knew how bad a tire can be... maybe they're good in mud, don't know, but I promise you they suck everywhere else.... The wolverine is just disappointing in many aspects, but that's a completely different topic, but it now has 28 Rip-Saws... Game changer. The Rip-saws are expensive, but you get what you pay for. They are also very stiff and ride rougher than stock, but if you keep them aired down- I run mine at 4-5 psi on rough trails, sometimes even lower - the ride is ok. With low pressure they tend to run smaller than listed diameter, but on the P-500, that's probably not a bad thing.. There are tires that without question will outperform in the specific terrain they were designed for, but after 8 years of trying to find something better than the Rip-Saws for all-round performance, I keep ending up with the Rip-Saws. I would also recommend, no matter what tire you end up with, is going to the same size on all four corners so you can rotate them- I just did it with the wolverine, wish I had done it with the P-500.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
😊
Caper
Yes, Blackwater Evolutions work well for our use--deep snow, some mud, mostly rough steep trails. I understand from a friend that they do not work very well in sand (like to dig holes).

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
My 28x10 Blackwaters are all on 12x6s (fronts). Not sand friendly but sand stucks are my doing. Lotsa worse things to get stuck in…..

Reactions: GreatNorth
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Most of us go for an all around tire that leans towards the terrain we ride most. Flat profiled, high ply tires tend to be heavy and like to dig. Perfect for rocks and mud. Round profiled tires tend to have more flotation in sand and snow and are usually lighter for more wheel speed. There's no best tire, depends on what you ride.

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Consider if you are using 4 WD a lot or are mainly in 2. For my trail system in Canada which is ever changing from season to season I started on lightweight MudBugs. 27x12x12 in rear and 27x9x12 in front. All was well day to day and forward motion was excellent. I noticed that I wasn't using 4wd much, because of how capable the p520 is, and because of the large contact patch in the rear. Also noticed the front sliding sideways and not providing much lateral grip. I have since installed radial 27x9x12 traction Omega in front. Much improved steering feel and Al the traction I would ever need with the Mud Bugs in the rear. Staggered/different tires front and back works for me. Trails here go from sand to rocks to packed/gravel to clay and deep mud.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Kenda BearClaw Radials on 5-2 rims. 27x11x12 on all corners. Love these tires and will buy again when time comes. Find it tracks better in ruts/snow. Wider tires up front seem to last longer for me and of course I do rotate them. Typically just me and assorted recover tools, if I was loaded all the time I’d do 26” tires. No matter what you get I’d suggest radials, much smoother ride, better traction. Lastly ensure tire size is actually true size some manufacturer’s are under sized…
Cheers

IMG 6126

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Kenda BearClaw Radials on 5-2 rims. 27x11x12 on all corners. Love these tires and will buy again when time comes. Find it tracks better in ruts/snow. Wider tires up front seem to last longer for me and of course I do rotate them. Typically just me and assorted recover tools, if I was loaded all the time I’d do 26” tires. No matter what you get I’d suggest radials, much smoother ride, better traction. Lastly ensure tire size is actually true size some manufacturer’s are under sized…
Cheers

View attachment 420340
How do you clear 11 wide in front?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
How do you clear 11 wide in front?
Had 26x11" BH 2.0's, which are 26.5" actual, on the front with 5+2's and no spacers, cleared fine. Put 1" spacers on the front and it was rubbing on the bar in front of the door bad! Putting wide's on the front makes it a little squishy, floaty, slidey through the turns, it's like they don't want to bite as fast as the skinny's. It was a little cushier ride though.

jelmail2000

jelmail2000

Feb 6, 2017
US
My thoughts..Original Big Horns ,26x9 in all four spots on 5+2 rims.One inch spacers on the rear.The original BH's are alittle tougher than the 2.0 version.All four in the same size allow for rotation,The P-5 seems to like 26 inchers gearing wise,one inch spacer in the rear with 5+2 rims gets you back to nearly equal width front and rear along with a gain in stability.Steering feel will be very close to stock.No problem fitting on a 60 inch trailer.My machine is set up this way with 2.0 BH's not the originals.View attachment 92517
I know this is old, but, how wide are you set up like this?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!