100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto on Bighorns Originals. I purchased 25's after receiving my 500. I wanted to avoid being tippy but that didn't seem to help so I'm gonna go with 26' all the way around for better clearance and use spacers in an attempt to avoid flopping. Otherwise I"m like the Tippy Tortoise!
IMG 5424

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
mud lights don't like rocks or roads. I don't ride either ever, got like 4500 hard miles on the one set before I sold the quad, hauling wood through swamp and ice. I hit a tree one time hard enough to bend the rim still never leaked. you see a lot of those here and no BH except on craigslist all the time they are too heavy even for a summer tire. the mud lites are the best deep snow and bottomless mud tire because of the floatation. tires are all about your area and use

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
mud lights don't like rocks or roads. I don't ride either ever, got like 4500 hard miles on the one set before I sold the quad, hauling wood through swamp and ice. I hit a tree one time hard enough to bend the rim still never leaked. you see a lot of those here and no BH except on craigslist all the time they are too heavy even for a summer tire. the mud lites are the best deep snow and bottomless mud tire because of the floatation. tires are all about your area and use, I'm sure the BH are good for some areas where the weight is required for the durability.

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Ditto on Bighorns Originals. I purchased 25's after receiving my 500. I wanted to avoid being tippy but that didn't seem to help so I'm gonna go with 26' all the way around for better clearance and use spacers in an attempt to avoid flopping. Otherwise I"m like the Tippy Tortoise!
View attachment 92518
Thanks 100Acre, well at least your not on your back o_O. Did you have offset wheels? What size 26s will you go to 9" 10" or biggger?

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudwing
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
mud lights don't like rocks or roads. I don't ride either ever, got like 4500 hard miles on the one set before I sold the quad, hauling wood through swamp and ice. I hit a tree one time hard enough to bend the rim still never leaked. you see a lot of those here and no BH except on craigslist all the time they are too heavy even for a summer tire. the mud lites are the best deep snow and bottomless mud tire because of the floatation. tires are all about your area and use
Thanks jwfirebird, I agree with tires needing to match your environment.

Reactions: Mudwing
Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 92518
100Acre, You drive like I do. LOL

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudwing
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I really like the ripsaws. Three hunting trips in the rocks, snow, mud, creek bottoms, and through sagebrush In Nevada. Not a flat or a problem. View attachment 92654
26-9-12 ft & 26-11-12 rear, at 5 to 6 psi.
Thanks Chuckerbird, the ripsaws just seemto be as tugh as they come. Hoows the ride on hard pack dirt? do you have either offset wheels or spacers?

C

Chuckerbird

Lifetime Member
May 26, 2017
Battle Mountain, NV.
Ownership

1. 500
With the air pressure set to 4 to 6 psi it's good. I have after market wheels with a 5/2 off set and no spacers.
Removing the sway bar helps the ride alot.

Reactions: dtng and Gassygordo
advertisement
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings and Welcome.
As @Chooglin stated "You're going to get alot of different opinions on this." So here's another one. :D

I'm running ITP Blackwater Evolution 26x9-12 on aluminum 5+2 rims without spacers on all four corners. The Evo's are an 8-ply radial that tend to run slightly undersize. More info here: Blackwater Evolution
For myself, I liked the sidewall armor for a little extra puncture protection. I also went with beadlock rims, thinking I could limp back to the trailer on a flat (don't have a spare yet).

These tires did quite well at Takeover last year in mud and rocks. They were also great at 14PSI on pavement crossing the Mackinac Bridge this past September.

Good luck on your decision.

BTW, I usually run 7 or 8 PSI on dirt, just wanted less tire squirm on pavement at 14psi

Last edited:
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings and Welcome.
As @Chooglin stated "You're going to get alot of different opinions on this." So here's another one. :D

I'm running ITP Blackwater Evolution 26x9-12 on aluminum 5+2 rims without spacers on all four corners. The Evo's are an 8-ply radial that tend to run slightly undersize. More info here: Blackwater Evolution
For myself, I liked the sidewall armor for a little extra puncture protection. I also went with beadlock rims, thinking I could limp back to the trailer on a flat (don't have a spare yet).

These tires did quite well at Takeover last year in mud and rocks. They were also great at 14PSI on pavement crossing the Mackinac Bridge this past September.

Good luck on your decision.

BTW, I usually run 7 or 8 PSI on dirt, just wanted less tire squirm on pavement at 14psi
I need to look into beadlock rims, getting back to the trailer is a primary criteria.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I need to look into beadlock rims, getting back to the trailer is a primary criteria.
There is a mixed consensus about the need for beadlocks on a light unit like the P-500. I have them and have no major complaints and hope the peace of mind not pulling a bead justifies the additional maintenance required.
A torque wrench is a very important tool to have if you want to purchase beadlocks 10 ft/lbs on each bolt to hold the bead ring on, if you don't like torque wrenches, I wouldn't recommend beadlocks.
While these are great at keeping the bead on, at least the STI HD Beadlocks that I purchased also trapped dirt and mud at Takeover last year, and I when I got home I noticed I was loosing about 2 PSI per day on one tire. I think I have since solved that problem, but have not been in as severe conditions as Takeover. Here is a link to what I did.
Beadlocks Leaking - Fixed

J

justin1210

Nov 2, 2018
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I’m new to SxS’s, I have a new P-500 and want to change out the stock tires for something with a sturdier construction. My primary concern is the ability to get back to my truck and the least of my concerns is speed. My primary use will be on a hunting lease, secondary will be to head up to Ride Royal Blue for a day ride. My first accessory was a Terra 45 winch, I figure tires should come next. I will be hunting on a new lease in Tennessee elevation 1,250’ - 1,750’ so getting up and down the hills will be critical. I also expect downed trees, small streams, rocks, hard pack dirt, and uneven terrain. I’ll also take it to Texas where there will be gravel/loose dirt roads/some sand, generally flat terrain, some mud, and water (to the floor boards). When I’m in Tennessee I’ll be hunting by myself, and this is my main reason for wanting bulletproof tires. Although I’ll have fix-a-flat, tire repair kit, jack, and a pump, I won’t have a spare until I get new tires. I don’t think I need really tall tires, 25”-26” is what I’m thinking, I am concerned that many have said the P-500 is tippy but I would not mind a bit more clearance. I’m not too concerned about 50” trails but I have a 60” wide trailer and would like some room on each side. Also I don’t think I’ll be venturing into fine sand, deep mud, or snow although if all else is covered the ability to deal with these would be a plus but not required. I’m leaning toward Ripsaw’s, after reading so many positive comments here and being told with a P-500 you could limp back to camp on a flat! That said I’m flexible.

So based on my environment, I’m looking for your experienced recommendation on tires, wheels (stock or offset, 5+2 vs 4+3), spacers, same tires on all four corners from a size and steering perspective (I understand the value of tire rotation and spare compatibility), and any other modifications that might be needed. I’ve read a ton of threads on tires and wheels some were pretty old and there may be better options now.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I went up one tire size to 25 s and put 2 inch wheel spacers the big horn 2.0 s sling a little much but it doesn't feel tippy at all even when your leaning good

Reactions: dtng and DaddyDubbs
Tbee

Tbee

Apr 13, 2018
DFW
Ownership

1. 500
I’m new to SxS’s, I have a new P-500 and want to change out the stock tires for something with a sturdier construction. My primary concern is the ability to get back to my truck and the least of my concerns is speed. My primary use will be on a hunting lease, secondary will be to head up to Ride Royal Blue for a day ride. My first accessory was a Terra 45 winch, I figure tires should come next. I will be hunting on a new lease in Tennessee elevation 1,250’ - 1,750’ so getting up and down the hills will be critical. I also expect downed trees, small streams, rocks, hard pack dirt, and uneven terrain. I’ll also take it to Texas where there will be gravel/loose dirt roads/some sand, generally flat terrain, some mud, and water (to the floor boards). When I’m in Tennessee I’ll be hunting by myself, and this is my main reason for wanting bulletproof tires. Although I’ll have fix-a-flat, tire repair kit, jack, and a pump, I won’t have a spare until I get new tires. I don’t think I need really tall tires, 25”-26” is what I’m thinking, I am concerned that many have said the P-500 is tippy but I would not mind a bit more clearance. I’m not too concerned about 50” trails but I have a 60” wide trailer and would like some room on each side. Also I don’t think I’ll be venturing into fine sand, deep mud, or snow although if all else is covered the ability to deal with these would be a plus but not required. I’m leaning toward Ripsaw’s, after reading so many positive comments here and being told with a P-500 you could limp back to camp on a flat! That said I’m flexible.

So based on my environment, I’m looking for your experienced recommendation on tires, wheels (stock or offset, 5+2 vs 4+3), spacers, same tires on all four corners from a size and steering perspective (I understand the value of tire rotation and spare compatibility), and any other modifications that might be needed. I’ve read a ton of threads on tires and wheels some were pretty old and there may be better options now.

Thanks nctrailboss, seems like a popular setup. A few questions, any idea what the total width is, why did you go with the 2.0 vs originals, could you have 5+2 in the front and 4+3 on the rear, seems like it would have given the same results, and do you have a rifle rack, if so what did you do. My rack doesn't leave room for a roof but it holds 2 long guns well.

I have 27x9x12 and 27x11x12 GBC Dirt Commanders. Used stock rims bought dust rubber centers from p700. Been to Taylor park (all mostly sharp rock elevation 14,000') Piaute Utah. Southfork Colorado. My Texas deer lease. I am still 50 inch legal and ride is much better then stock. Was going to get the suspension swapped but after all that riding no need. Have not had a puncture or any issues with the tire but have a full spare just in case mounted on passanger side of back rack. About 850 miles on a 2018 p500.

Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Wow so much greAt information on tires but I get so confused ...

In Idaho we have more rocks than mud . Buzzsaws or rip seem to be very popular here

That said here is my question , Keep in mind that I want to stay within the 50” here for Idaho trails

Can I use stock rims and use the same size tires all the way around ? I’m thinking 26” are the most I want to go without spacers

Please advise

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run blackwaters and my riding buddy runs the ripsaws. I find both to be very durable and a huge upgrade over stock. Seems like the ripsaws are slightly smoother and better on hard pack and rocks, while the blackwaters are better in softer terrain and mud. Neither tire really outshines the other and at the end of the day we both get thru the same trails and get back to the truck. The blackwaters do have a slightly rougher ride on pavement and hardpack, but it's not bad at all. As others have mentioned, the bighorns and roctanes both have a really good jack of all trades tread pattern, although I'd say they are weakest in deeper sloppy mud. Great thi g about the utv tire market...we have a ton of options...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!