• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
Alphapup

Alphapup

Dec 11, 2018
"Cabin in the Woods", CAN/USA Border, Kootenays BC
Ownership

1. 500
Just installed the reciever after reading all the posts. Tools...check read the instructions check... so far so good. Then the moment of WHAT? The bottom holes did not line up with the bolts from the lower A arm! After some 2nd and 3rd guessing and eyeballing, close but needs to be modified. I had to widen the lower holes 2mm each side. I didn't want to make each home larger but just wider to accept the bolts.I used a chainsaw file and let loose after securing the part in a vice. Some time later I had it wide enough and attached the lower half. The instructions have you reuse the lower nut that were removed and used to secure the lower A arms. They did not fit, right size but wrong thread! I was lucky to have some old winch fairlead roller nuts so I used them. All this took some time and problem solving to make it work.
I wonder if there is a change as my P500 is a new 2018.The listing show that it fits 2015 to 2017 P500. Regardless of all the sorting, the hitch reciever does look sturdy and well made.

D

Deleted member 3748

Just installed the reciever after reading all the posts. Tools...check read the instructions check... so far so good. Then the moment of WHAT? The bottom holes did not line up with the bolts from the lower A arm! After some 2nd and 3rd guessing and eyeballing, close but needs to be modified. I had to widen the lower holes 2mm each side. I didn't want to make each home larger but just wider to accept the bolts.I used a chainsaw file and let loose after securing the part in a vice. Some time later I had it wide enough and attached the lower half. The instructions have you reuse the lower nut that were removed and used to secure the lower A arms. They did not fit, right size but wrong thread! I was lucky to have some old winch fairlead roller nuts so I used them. All this took some time and problem solving to make it work.
I wonder if there is a change as my P500 is a new 2018.The listing show that it fits 2015 to 2017 P500. Regardless of all the sorting, the hitch reciever does look sturdy and well made.
Interesting find. Thanks for pointing this out for future 2018+ owners.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
hawgsooie

hawgsooie

Mar 12, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yeah not fun....I sat down today to do a 10 min install on my 2017 and ran into the exact same issues. With minimal filing I'm probably headed to tractor supply for the correct nuts....

D

dominator

Sep 18, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Installed mine on my 2017 yesterday no problems with it fit perfectly you guys must have got one that was made on a Friday

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Installed mine today (2015). The holes didn't line up perfect but I didn't have to file anything to get it on. Only problem was that the threads on supplied bolts were all messed up. After a trip to the hardware store job was completed. What should have been 10 minute mod turned into almost an hour with the trip to the hardware store added in.

Not cool Moose Utility - get your s*** together!! Made in USA means quality not crap!!

EDIT: forgot to mention that if you have the Honda rear bumper you will have to choose which one you want more. They use the same holes (top ones) so I ditched the bumper.

Last edited:
H

Hornstar

Nov 14, 2018
Gulf Coast
Ownership

1. 500
I’m about to put one on my 17. Hope to get lucky. I just put an EMP on a family members Kawasaki Mule and 1 hole was wayyyyyy off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I edited my post above to add:

Forgot to mention that if you have the Honda rear bumper you will have to choose which one you want more. They use the same holes (top ones) so I ditched the bumper.

hawgsooie

hawgsooie

Mar 12, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddH

@ToddH yeah it all could have been avoided if they'd just supplied at complete nut/bolt set. I can't imagine that would have affected their margins much.

H

Hornstar

Nov 14, 2018
Gulf Coast
Ownership

1. 500
Installed mine today on my 17. All holes lined up and supplied hardware went on with no problems. I did have to take a drill bit and clean out the paint in all four holes. Took about 20 minutes solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered and installed with only one problem, can't reinstall the rear bumper now.

advertisement
Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I ordered and installed with only one problem, can't reinstall the rear bumper now.

Order these (unless you can find them locally) then you can bolt both the bumper and receiver hitch together...

9RkE7vnuTAG9hSKIDLq3A

Here is mine after I figured out which bolts I needed.

0J8hlEAAQCSwrsvmXgYDnA

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
@ToddH , that moved your bumper back some didn't it? How much?
It only moved it back the width of the 2” receiver (maybe a 1/4” or so). The top mounted like normal. Only needed the longer bolts to go through the frame and 2” hitch.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
This reminded me that I still need to order this, plus bolts.

Interesting (and sad) that Moose doesn't list a version beyond 2017 (it's now 2020, right??). Wouldn't matter to me there weren't fitment issues on models newer than Moose's stated 2017 product limit.

If the 2018-2020 P5s are the same fitment as the 2015-2017s, then change your fitment info, Moose.
If the 2018+ has a different fitment than Moose product number 4504-0146, then maybe offer another one?

Just not sure if this Moose product is supposed to fit my 2018, or not?!

Yeah, I'm in a bad mood . . .

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Ordered this and the bolts since I have the Honda rear bumper. If it doesn't fit I will send it back. I have an '18.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Mine showed up yesterday. This thing is pretty beefy, just what i needed was to add some more weight. :rolleyes:
I thought the same thing when I got mine. All the good stuff adds lbs. 2" receiver was a necessity for me and the height works with all my trailers. Height provides better strap angle also.

B

BuckBrewer

Aug 26, 2018
Memphis
Ownership

1. 500
I thought the same thing when I got mine. All the good stuff adds lbs. 2" receiver was a necessity for me and the height works with all my trailers. Height provides better strap angle also.
I’ve had the moose hitch on for years to use utv food plot implements with. Instead of the spacers they came with I used the same width as the spacers square tubing across the top to strengthen the hitch. My first hitch bent upwards due to the force generated. The square tubing made it rock solid.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Ordered this and the bolts since I have the Honda rear bumper. If it doesn't fit I will send it back. I have an '18.

I still haven't been back to my buddy's farm where my buggy is. Hitch is sitting in the garage (along with a set of SunF tires for my Foreman!).

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!