Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Is that your nice way of calling someone a dumbass? Lol
I literally called myself a dumb ass in my opening post, so ...

I will say that most people don't realize how much I can (and do) still do with just one leg. I still do 98% of what I used to do, just sometimes a little slower. Once in a while, I do push the envelope, and the other day was one of those days. Most of the time (and unless I'm wearing shorts), I have to TELL people I'm an AKA. Otherwise, they would not know it.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A man's gotta know his limitations
FEF702EC BEC1 4983 B66C 44AF839135B1

You got that from dirty harry! 😂

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. But the only way to find the limit is to cross it.
It wasn't anywhere near so dramatic, but something like this happened to my brother. On a golf course.
He walked into a sand trap to hit out and before you could blink went testes deep in quicksand. We had trouble pulling him out and he lost a shoe in the process. Had to play out without a shoe.
Sh_t happens. ✌️

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep. But the only way to find the limit is to cross it.
It wasn't anywhere near so dramatic, but something like this happened to my brother. On a golf course.
He walked into a sand trap to hit out and before you could blink went testes deep in quicksand. We had trouble pulling him out and he lost a shoe in the process. Had to play out without a shoe.
Sh_t happens. ✌️
I tell new drivers all the time to go somewhere and Safely test the limits of adhesion in the snow so they won’t be afraid when s*** does hit the fan.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad it all went well!

I can't visualize how you use a vehicle to pull a person out of muck standing waist deep without pulling his hip out of socket or dragging him under water to fill up his waders, but kudos to your rescue team!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Glad it all went well!

I can't visualize how you use a vehicle to pull a person out of muck standing waist deep without pulling his hip out of socket or dragging him under water to fill up his waders, but kudos to your rescue team!
My feet were buried up to the middle of my shins/below my knees. The water was above my waist but below the top of the waders. I was facing away from the bank. We tied the rope around my waist and they slowly pulled me backwards, so I kind of bent at the waist a little while they were pulling me. Once I was unstuck, I ended up sitting on the lake bottom while they pulled me the rest of the way to the bank. Had I been facing the bank, I don't think I would have had them tie the rope around my waist.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Glad ur ok, I'm sure all kind of thoughts were going thru ur head at that moment
You can say that again. For about 10 minutes (before people got there), my good leg was getting weak and I wasn't sure how long I would have enough strength to keep me standing up and keep my head above the water line (and hoping that I wasn't sinking further into the mucky bottom).

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My P1K5 was used to help save my life yesterday.

I'm not kidding.

Dumb ass me put waders on and ventured out to pull the rolling boat docks in from the lake. I got that done, then decided to wander out to try to remove some poles that screw into the sand/mucky bottom (used to tie the pontoon boat off on the starboard side when docked).

Anyway ... many here know I am an AKA (above knee amputee). Well, standing out in water that was slightly above waist deep and pushing and pulling on the pole caused me to sink into the very mucky bottom. I literally could not pull my feet out of the muck, as I only had one leg to pull out, then had to try to pull my prosthetic leg out with my arms. My limb kept slipping put of the socket. By the time I pulled my prosthetic leg free, my good leg was stuck in the muck again.

All I could do was stand there holding the flimsy pole as a support, holler for help and hope I had the strength in my good leg to keep me above the water until someone heard me. My leg got weak and I could barely hold myself up with the pole, crouching down in the water. My waders started to take water in them. If I sat down fully, my head would have likely been under water.

Some of my neighbors heard me yelling for help. After ~10 minutes of being stuck and losing strength, they showed up. They could not pull me free by hand because that would have caused them to sink into the muck with me.

Someone had brought a ski tow rope with them. They wrapped it around my waist a couple times, then attached it to my P1K5, which I had driven down to the water's edge when I came down to mess with the rolling docks.

They started it up and literally pulled me from the muck, freeing my legs that had become buried at least 1' deep, and dragged me to the shore.

I'm pretty sure I was more scared yesterday then I was 10 years ago on the day the hit & run drive ripped my leg off with a '92 Buick as I was e-stopped on the side of the freeway sitting on a stationary motorcycle.

I guess I just found out one more of the very few things I should not try to do alone, now that I'm an AKA.

Sorry, no pics, @Remington.

So ... anybody else have fun with thier Honda Pioneer this past weekend? :cool:
Man really glad you’re ok. That’s a good story

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tell new drivers all the time to go somewhere and Safely test the limits of adhesion in the snow so they won’t be afraid when s*** does hit the fan.
That's how I taught three kids how to drive in the snow in northern Utah. I'd wait for a good storm and take them to a parking lot before the plows arrived. I'd make them go fast and lose control, so they could learn when to brake and when to turn into the skid to recover.

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My P1K5 was used to help save my life yesterday.

I'm not kidding.

Dumb ass me put waders on and ventured out to pull the rolling boat docks in from the lake. I got that done, then decided to wander out to try to remove some poles that screw into the sand/mucky bottom (used to tie the pontoon boat off on the starboard side when docked).

Anyway ... many here know I am an AKA (above knee amputee). Well, standing out in water that was slightly above waist deep and pushing and pulling on the pole caused me to sink into the very mucky bottom. I literally could not pull my feet out of the muck, as I only had one leg to pull out, then had to try to pull my prosthetic leg out with my arms. My limb kept slipping put of the socket. By the time I pulled my prosthetic leg free, my good leg was stuck in the muck again.

All I could do was stand there holding the flimsy pole as a support, holler for help and hope I had the strength in my good leg to keep me above the water until someone heard me. My leg got weak and I could barely hold myself up with the pole, crouching down in the water. My waders started to take water in them. If I sat down fully, my head would have likely been under water.

Some of my neighbors heard me yelling for help. After ~10 minutes of being stuck and losing strength, they showed up. They could not pull me free by hand because that would have caused them to sink into the muck with me.

Someone had brought a ski tow rope with them. They wrapped it around my waist a couple times, then attached it to my P1K5, which I had driven down to the water's edge when I came down to mess with the rolling docks.

They started it up and literally pulled me from the muck, freeing my legs that had become buried at least 1' deep, and dragged me to the shore.

I'm pretty sure I was more scared yesterday then I was 10 years ago on the day the hit & run drive ripped my leg off with a '92 Buick as I was e-stopped on the side of the freeway sitting on a stationary motorcycle.

I guess I just found out one more of the very few things I should not try to do alone, now that I'm an AKA.

Sorry, no pics, @Remington.

So ... anybody else have fun with thier Honda Pioneer this past weekend? :cool:
Good for and your nice neighbors!

Reactions: Buggyman and Scoop
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not an amputee, but I have been stuck in the muck to the point of thinking it may be all over. I know how scary and dangerous it really is, and I'm glad you made it out. The last time I got stuck I was lucky enough to be able to use my shotgun to help me struggle out. after 30 minutes and being completely exhausted. That may be the last time I wore waders. I no longer even consider putting myself in such a situation. You'd better be nice to your Pioneer after that experience.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Glad you are okay. I hate to recommend an apple product, but an Apple Watch is waterproof. It’s as good as carrying a phone on you. I love mine. I’m sure the other brands have good watches also.

My uncle fell out of a tree stand a couple years ago and woke up covered in blood in the dark. He walked out and drove to a hospital 20 minutes away. He passed back out in the waiting room. I have fall detection turned on just for that reason.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Glad you are okay. I hate to recommend an apple product, but an Apple Watch is waterproof. It’s as good as carrying a phone on you. I love mine. I’m sure the other brands have good watches also.

My uncle fell out of a tree stand a couple years ago and woke up covered in blood in the dark. He walked out and drove to a hospital 20 minutes away. He passed back out in the waiting room. I have fall detection turned on just for that reason.
Do you know if an apple watch will sync to an android cell phone? I don't know s*** about the new smart watches, does the watch even need a cell phone to do 'things'? How far away will the watch connect to a cell phone if that's needed to do the voodoo that they do? 🤔

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

I'm an Android guy, and I have a Samsung Watch3. Mine connects to my phone via Bluetooth and it does allow me to make calls from the watch itself And, yes, it's waterproof. Unfortunately, I was not wearing my watch at the time, even though my phone was just yards away in the P1K5.

Another poor decision, right? :/

But, yes, you are correct. And thanks for the reminder. My next watch will likely have 4G (5G?) connectivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh and CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Do you know if an apple watch will sync to an android cell phone? I don't know s*** about the new smart watches, does the watch even need a cell phone to do 'things'? How far away will the watch connect to a cell phone if that's needed to do the voodoo that they do? 🤔
Certain models of smartwatches (many Apple and Samsung models for sure) must be paired with a phone in order for you to be able to make/receive calls from the watch itself.

However, many of those same watches are offered as standalone devices so that you can make and receive calls without being paired to a mobile phone (4G LTE)

The latter are more expensive to purchase (not much - typically ~$50), and you essentially add them as another "phone" (device) to your mobile phone plan (they have their own phone number).

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Certain models of smartwatches (many Apple and Samsung models for sure) must be paired with a phone in order for you to be able to make/receive calls from the watch itself.

However, many of those same watches are offered as standalone devices so that you can make and receive calls without being paired to a mobile phone (4G LTE)

The latter are more expensive to purchase (not much - typically ~$50), and you essentially add them as another "phone" (device) to your mobile phone plan (they have their own phone number).
Thanks, Scoop. 👍 A standalone wristwatch/cell phone, Dick Tracy lives. :eek:

Reactions: toddvdh
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks, Scoop. 👍 A standalone wristwatch/cell phone, Dick Tracy lives. :eek:
Heck, the latest ones include things like GPS for turn-by-turn navigation (voice or vibration), all kinds of body sensors (heartrate, BMI, EKG, blood oxygen saturation, etc.) and other sensors (gyroscopes, barometers, accelerometers, etc.), Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, etc.)., fitness trackers, crash detection (automatically notify emergency services and your emergency contacts of your location), make and receive calls and text messages, use your watch as a key or as as credit card, etc. It's crazy what these "watches" can do these days.

• Wow
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!