Need a tire that wears better

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have had the System 3 off road tires on my Talon since the beginning of last year. I'm running 30's, same size all the way around so I can rotate. They are great tires for the trail and have great traction. I did destroy one on the TRWA trails last fall during a rocky hill climb, but that happens. My only complaint is they get about 400-500 miles on them and they are pretty worn. I'm not talking bald, just worn down past the "indent" mark in the tires. I had a spare last year so when I destroyed the one tire, I bought a new one and put that one and the spare on the rear. I did also rotate the tires. We do as little road riding as possible, but some trips its un-avoidable.

So what is a better wearing tire that still has decent traction for the trails?

Thanks!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have similiar with carnivores. 1800 miles and I'm ready for replacements. I am looking at either Sedona Trail Saw next or M1 Evils. I am pretty confident the Evils wear better, waiting to see on the Trail Saws.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have similiar with carnivores. 1800 miles and I'm ready for replacements. I am looking at either Sedona Trail Saw next or M1 Evils. I am pretty confident the Evils wear better, waiting to see on the Trail Saws.
Hey Vondy, still have the hood on my machine!!
I'd be happy with 1,800 miles. I know you and I ride a lot of the same areas, so that is good input.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
what is a better wearing tire that still has decent traction for the trails?
LT/MT tire. Have had them on my P1 for over 2k miles and there not even close to needing replacement. Lots of Mudd, rock and sand on the as well as alot of black top as of late. My Talon has carnivores on them, I'm at 800miles and there getting close to replacement.

UTV tires are NOT known for longevity. I've had 3 sets. A lot of it depends on what how and where u ride. Everyone's style is different so UTV tire ware is scoured from one person to the other. LT's is another matter.
Choose and SPEND wisely ;)

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What I know about tires, and this has nothing to do with side by sides. Trucks, jeeps, etc. The best trail tires are softer compounds and wear fast. I had buckshot mudders on a truck one time, best off road tires I ever had on a truck. 12000 miles and they were done. You can't have both. This goes all the way back to dirt bikes. The big nobby 550 Chen Shin knobby tires on my xr500 were wicked but they didn't last long. And, you didn't want to be behind me unless you had a full face gaurd. You show me a tire that does it all and I'm in.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What I know about tires, and this has nothing to do with side by sides. Trucks, jeeps, etc. The best trail tires are softer compounds and wear fast. I had buckshot mudders on a truck one time, best off road tires I ever had on a truck. 12000 miles and they were done. You can't have both. This goes all the way back to dirt bikes. The big nobby 550 Chen Shin knobby tires on my xr500 were wicked but they didn't last long. And, you didn't want to be behind me unless you had a full face gaurd. You show me a tire that does it all and I'm in.
No such thing as a long wearing tire and excellent grip, some have good luck with LT tires, but I have 14 inch rims. I'm on my third set of ITP tires, first set were the Black Waters, I bent a tie rod on the trail and in 5 miles going back to camp I ground the tread off one front tires on the HIWAY. They were more of a mud tire so I decided to go with the Terra Hooks, on my second set of Terra Hooks. I've pretty much settled on them, if you look at the tread pattern, it looks like there's more biting edges per tire than most. I ride the rocks, logs and off camber stuff. Never had a flat. I run 11 PSI in the front and 10 PSI in the rear. And there made in the USA.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know if these are any good but they're cheap. Forceum M/T 08 Plus LT 235/75R15 104/101Q C (6 Ply) MT Mud Terrain Tire
No such thing as a long wearing tire and excellent grip, some have good luck with LT tires, but I have 14 inch rims. I'm on my third set of ITP tires, first set were the Black Waters, I bent a tie rod on the trail and in 5 miles going back to camp I ground the tread off one front tires on the HIWAY. They were more of a mud tire so I decided to go with the Terra Hooks, on my second set of Terra Hooks. I've pretty much settled on them, if you look at the tread pattern, it looks like there's more biting edges per tire than most. I ride the rocks, logs and off camber stuff. Never had a flat. I run 11 PSI in the front and 10 PSI in the rear. And there made in the USA.
Had the blackwaters on my gator. Never a flat and good mud tires.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do u have any pics of these? Would love to see what they look like on a rig
Nothing's special here. 30in,just hold air, cheap and readily available
IMG 0619
IMG 0618

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got 5,000 miles on my BFG K02's before cutting the sidewall on the RF hitting a sharp rock at a good clip (NOT the tire's fault). Since my rears wear 2:1 over the fronts (and they're done at 5k), I would have bought 2 new rears and got 10,000 miles out of 6 tires.

BUT - I felt they rode pretty harshly, not being an OHV specific tire (stock Talon R suspension). So I'm going to try the BFG KM3 UTV specific tire as my next experiment, hoping for a softer ride. Lots of positive internet feedback, other than wear, which isn't their strong point (not deluding myself but I sure liked the 10k per 6 tires - you pick yer poison). 30" K02's were ~$174 each. Not plated, all dirt.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do yours wear even across the tread? Our machines are very similar, mine has always worn more on the inside both front and rear. I have over analyzed the alignment, not much to do with the rear so i am resigned to dismounting and turning them 🤷‍♂️. To cheap to toss them until they're down to the case :) didn't pay a lot of attention to my first machine, always had rounded profile utv tires on it

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do yours wear even across the tread? Our machines are very similar, mine has always worn more on the inside both front and rear. I have over analyzed the alignment, not much to do with the rear so i am resigned to dismounting and turning them 🤷‍♂️. To cheap to toss them until they're down to the case :) didn't pay a lot of attention to my first machine, always had rounded profile utv tires on it
I don't have a tread depth gauge but they 'look' pretty close 🤔 (just now checked with a flashlight to cast a shadow). The rears are, indeed, done at 5k miles. The fronts have too much tread depth to see a difference between inside/outside.

Going by the dust on the tread, this photo shows the front is slightly tipped in and the rear is running flat, taken immediately after mounting and driving onto the trailer. The other side looks the same. Last time I checked, my ground clearance (preload) was close to factory spec (14" on 30" tires). I'd tighten your preload 'a bit' to get your wear closer to what you want, that'll be a 'guess and by golly' estimation.

fwiw: I just looked up the KM3 UTV spec'd tire online and it's rated for 50 or 65 lbs. tire pressure. That's not much of a UTV rating IMO and they're $43 more per tire. My hope for a better ride from the tires is diminishing but I sure like the high mileage. Do you have a tire machine to break the beads? That would be a nice addition for me but Discount Tire will do it with a tire purchase; they won't mount beadlocks though.
I n3NNJv5 X2

Reactions: Remington
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!