New Enclosed Trailer--Installing D-Rings?

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yesterday I hauled home a 7.5 x 16 enclosed all aluminum trailer--after what seemed like an endless search for a quality rig with a high enough ceiling and door to fit my 700-4 deluxe.

My question is about tie down mounts...it did not come with any installed. Which on one hand I liked as I could put them where I wanted; but on the other...I have to figure out what to use. The trailer dealer showed me what apparently "everyone" is using now (they install them, and on other trailer brands they were installed at the factory). He said he's had no complaints or issues. The mounts are recessed d-rings with a backing plate--mounted only on 3/4 drymax (high end waterproof sub-flooring) that is on the floor of the trailer. Mounts are rated at 6,000lbs total and 2,000lbs working weight. What I don;t know is what is the strength rating of the drymax flooring (suspect there is an engineering formula somewhere for it given underlying supporting stucture). I tend to over-engineer things so does anybody have any experience whether this mounts in wood floor alone (wood is on 24" center I beam cross bracing which are welded to the trailers 2x6 main aluminum tubing). They would be easy to install just in the wood, but I am concerned about how strong they really would be for 700-4. Any insights appreciated.

Shooter63

Shooter63

Shooter 63
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2019
Longview
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did the e-tracks down both sides of my 12 foot trailer. If you put the wall side on the beam front to back you can get screws all the way down front to back and in the cross members. You can buy e-track singles and put them on the walls at your risers

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yesterday I hauled home a 7.5 x 16 enclosed all aluminum trailer--after what seemed like an endless search for a quality rig with a high enough ceiling and door to fit my 700-4 deluxe.

My question is about tie down mounts...it did not come with any installed. Which on one hand I liked as I could put them where I wanted; but on the other...I have to figure out what to use. The trailer dealer showed me what apparently "everyone" is using now (they install them, and on other trailer brands they were installed at the factory). He said he's had no complaints or issues. The mounts are recessed d-rings with a backing plate--mounted only on 3/4 drymax (high end waterproof sub-flooring) that is on the floor of the trailer. Mounts are rated at 6,000lbs total and 2,000lbs working weight. What I don;t know is what is the strength rating of the drymax flooring (suspect there is an engineering formula somewhere for it given underlying supporting stucture). I tend to over-engineer things so does anybody have any experience whether this mounts in wood floor alone (wood is on 24" center I beam cross bracing which are welded to the trailers 2x6 main aluminum tubing). They would be easy to install just in the wood, but I am concerned about how strong they really would be for 700-4. Any insights appreciated.
I 2nd the e track.

Reactions: ohanacreek
B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the feedback...I like the idea @Shooter63 to catch the beam (and crossbraces where possible)--I knew I could catch crossbraces somehow with what I did but forgot main beam is inboard a bit on my rig being 7.5 feet, which should make that a real option. Likewise @ohanacreek the backing plate and crossbraces is a nice combination too--yup, it is scary what some folks do and think they're safe. One question, any recommendations for E-Track brand or source? Are they interchangable across brands? Thanks again....

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the feedback...I like the idea @Shooter63 to catch the beam (and crossbraces where possible)--I knew I could catch crossbraces somehow with what I did but forgot main beam is inboard a bit on my rig being 7.5 feet, which should make that a real option. Likewise @ohanacreek the backing plate and crossbraces is a nice combination too--yup, it is scary what some folks do and think they're safe. One question, any recommendations for E-Track brand or source? Are they interchangable across brands? Thanks again....

Track should be a standard fit but you can get different load ratings. I would spend the extra and get the higher capacity because it’s labor intensive to swap it.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just ordered 32' of E-Track (12 ga) and 16 backing plates. Plan to bolt to cross members every 24 inches if I can (we"ll see) and bolt to a backing plate between each cross member for 2 16 foot runs.

Thanks, everyone.

J

JTW

WHERE DID YOU FIND IT!!? I’ve been in the same boat.. if like to have an all aluminum enclosed.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
WHERE DID YOU FIND IT!!? I’ve been in the same boat.. if like to have an all aluminum enclosed.

I found mine in Idaho. It's a Cargo Pro which is made by Alcom ALCOM LLC - North America's Premier Trailer Manufacturer . They are based in Maine and specialize in all aluminum trailers. I bought the Stealth model of their Cargo Pro line (not to be confused with Stealth Trailers--the Cargo Pro "Stealth" is simply a model name, not the Stealth brand name). As I understand it they are made in Missoula, Montana. The craftsmanship is absolutely excellent. The price for all aluminum, I found good also. It has a 4 year warranty that my local dealer handles, too. Plus it has bonded sides--no rivets or screws; a true 7' roof inside and entry is 82"; 3/4 drymax flooring and 3/8 drymax siding--no luan; Side entry door; and oh yea it tips the scales at 1900 lbs empty. It's worth noting that I was not looking for aluminum as I thought they were out of my price range; instead I was focused on needing more than 7' wide in either 14 or 16 feet long with a door opening >80" tall. But for the price, size, features, quality and warranty, I was easily sold and now have all aluminum.

The only thing I paused on was mine has drop axles. While it tows great with a lower center of gravity, and loading is easier, it lacks the extra clearance a non-drop would provide. I don't need the clearance for how I will mostly be using it but it would have been nice to have just in case if I had the choice. The 7.5' width is really sweet for the 700-4. I can load, open door, and step out with relative ease...without having to tow a 8.5' wide beast!

Here are a few picks....

StealthPhoto1 StealthPhoto2 StealthPhoto3 StealthPhoto4

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
advertisement
J

JTW

I found mine in Idaho. It's a Cargo Pro which is made by Alcom ALCOM LLC - North America's Premier Trailer Manufacturer . They are based in Maine and specialize in all aluminum trailers. I bought the Stealth model of their Cargo Pro line (not to be confused with Stealth Trailers--the Cargo Pro "Stealth" is simply a model name, not the Stealth brand name). As I understand it they are made in Missoula, Montana. The craftsmanship is absolutely excellent. The price for all aluminum, I found good also. It has a 4 year warranty that my local dealer handles, too. Plus it has bonded sides--no rivets or screws; a true 7' roof inside and entry is 82"; 3/4 drymax flooring and 3/8 drymax siding--no luan; Side entry door; and oh yea it tips the scales at 1900 lbs empty. It's worth noting that I was not looking for aluminum as I thought they were out of my price range; instead I was focused on needing more than 7' wide in either 14 or 16 feet long with a door opening >80" tall. But for the price, size, features, quality and warranty, I was easily sold and now have all aluminum.

The only thing I paused on was mine has drop axles. While it tows great with a lower center of gravity, and loading is easier, it lacks the extra clearance a non-drop would provide. I don't need the clearance for how I will mostly be using it but it would have been nice to have just in case if I had the choice. The 7.5' width is really sweet for the 700-4. I can load, open door, and step out with relative ease...without having to tow a 8.5' wide beast!

Here are a few picks....

View attachment 125200 View attachment 125201 View attachment 125202 View attachment 125203
Nice... I really want one with an aluminum floor. I don’t care about the frame or even the interior box frame so much as the damn floor being aluminum. For the life of me I don’t know why it’s not a readily available option. I’m thinking 18-20’ and 8.5 wide with at least a full 7’ door opening.

Reactions: BKelly and lee
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Nice... I really want one with an aluminum floor. I don’t care about the frame or even the interior box frame so much as the damn floor being aluminum. For the life of me I don’t know why it’s not a readily available option. I’m thinking 18-20’ and 8.5 wide with at least a full 7’ door opening.

People rave about the drymax plywood. Thinking I will re-deck my flat bed trailer with it and see how it holds up. Plywood on there now is 12 years old and seen better days.

As for the drop axles I wish my 17' by 8.5' wide enclose had them.
The thing is a major parachute, anything to reduce the wind resistance would be worth it.
I have had it on dirt roads in Arizona (couple of times the trailer made an oil can sound hitting ruts), Kansas (dust filled the trailer from the side door flexing) and a little bit in Alabama (following @joeymt33 the water crossing was a bigger issue than the trail, bow wake off the V-nose).
Still I would trade a little ground clearance for less drag.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
J

JTW

People rave about the drymax plywood. Thinking I will re-deck my flat bed trailer with it and see how it holds up. Plywood on there now is 12 years old and seen better days.

As for the drop axles I wish my 17' by 8.5' wide enclose had them.
The thing is a major parachute, anything to reduce the wind resistance would be worth it.
I have had it on dirt roads in Arizona (couple of times the trailer made an oil can sound hitting ruts), Kansas (dust filled the trailer from the side door flexing) and a little bit in Alabama (following @joeymt33 the water crossing was a bigger issue than the trail, bow wake off the V-nose).
Still I would trade a little ground clearance for less drag.
Considering the price of the trailers I’ve found with an aluminum floor, I can buy 3 plywood floored enclosed trailers.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4

Thanks...Never considered that...as I thought that was a Featherlite "not reality for me" kinda thing. You have a great idea, though. Maybe you could get one of those "custom" places to do it for you? Trend seems to be more aluminum for similar cost (I was surprised to find that I could pay about the same for mine as for a similar size steel trailer of slightly poorer quality/features). Hope springs eternal.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!