Overheating at Idle?

S

Snowtraxx

Jun 24, 2015
Hello, have a new P4 with 20 miles on it. When in use the temp gauge remains at the 2 bar mark most of the time. If I stop and idle for more than ten seconds the temp gauge pegs and light comes on. A little RPM or moving again immediately brings it back to the two bar mark. Coolant overflow tank remains half way between min and max all the time. I checked the radiator when cold and coolant is not visible, just residue from running. So, questions are: Has anyone else seen the temp spike every time they stop and idle? Do you all only fill the overflow bottle, or would you fill the radiator too...like in a car?

Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your coolant is low. If it's under warranty I'd take it to the dealer and tell them that you noticed this happening and what you found.

Heat can do bad things to engines...Since its brand spanking new I'd take it to them so you at least have it documented that this is the way you recieved it from them.

The other option if you feel like it is ...

While it's cold or cool, fill the radiator to full, run it till the engine gets to operating temp to get the thermostat to open.

Let cool and refill the radiator. Then check the overflow tank. Just to make sure it's not low repeat this process and check it again.

Reactions: jak9922
Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Funny with my 700-4, when I went out for the first small ride, my whole family on board, going slow like I ride, I pulled off to the side and the very same thing happened.
I took off to get some air flow in the radiator, cooled it right down. Stopped again same thing. Fan was operating.

Fluids were high, nothing blocking radiator, so I called service manager. He wanted me to bring it in. Living in the boonies, I ask him what it could be, he said radiator might need to be burped.

I pulled the sXs to where the front end was higher than the rear, opened radiator cap let it idle for a while, and sure enough, after a few minutes, it got up to temperature, then burped. Air was trapped in the coolant system. Quite a bit of air, so I was able to add a decent amount of Antifreeze to the radiator when I wasn't able to before the "burp".

400 miles later, it has never moved above the 2nd mark on the temp gauge.

S

Snowtraxx

Jun 24, 2015
Well, was able to put over a quart of coolant into the radiator. haven't had a chance to go out and run it yet, but just in the yard can't get it past two bars now. Sounds like "coolant system bleeding" should be added to the PDI list. Thanks for the replies, happy riding.

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Snowtraxx !! glad every thing is running smooth and right before 4th of July weekend!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, was able to put over a quart of coolant into the radiator. haven't had a chance to go out and run it yet, but just in the yard can't get it past two bars now. Sounds like "coolant system bleeding" should be added to the PDI list. Thanks for the replies, happy riding.

Welcome & Glad you was able to catch it before any damage could be done.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!