P1000m3 Popping sound while in 4 wheel drive

MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I've been having the same problem for the last year and a half. Only when mine is in 4wd, and driving under a medium load, like mud or slushy snow, doesn't matter if in a straight line or turning. It makes a loud pop and acts like it's kicking in and out of 4wd, no rhyme or reason, could be fine for 5min, then suddenly starts doing it randomly. It's almost left me stranded while towing my ice shack across a lake in shallow slushy snow. It went to the dealer and they adjusted the cables, but did not change anything. Seems to be something broken in the front diff if I had to guess. HELP!!!

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I've been having the same problem for the last year and a half. Only when mine is in 4wd, and driving under a medium load, like mud or slushy snow, doesn't matter if in a straight line or turning. It makes a loud pop and acts like it's kicking in and out of 4wd, no rhyme or reason, could be fine for 5min, then suddenly starts doing it randomly. It's almost left me stranded while towing my ice shack across a lake in shallow slushy snow. It went to the dealer and they adjusted the cables, but did not change anything. Seems to be something broken in the front diff if I had to guess. HELP!!!

They adjusted my cables back into spec on the front diff. No more issues since. May want to a try a different dealer or a service manual. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: MAINEYAK
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Adjust the cable on the passenger side behind the cv axle of the front diff. That clearance specified would be while in 2wd.

4wd

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Thanks @snuffnwhisky You da man! That's exactly where they adjusted mine. I did have to point it out though and tell them that I'm sure that's the problem.

MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
PROBLEM RESOLVED! Thanks for the help guys. In my case, even after the dealer claimed to have adjusted the cables, I was having the front diff clunk/pop and slipping in and out of 4WD. I made the adjustment to the end of the 4WD cable at the lever on the front diff, which was loose, tightened the cable nut and took up about 1/4" of slack. It hasn't bothered since. The dealer obviously overlooked this which is frustrating, but glad to have this forum for help and reference. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself lol. Happy trails all!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
PROBLEM RESOLVED! Thanks for the help guys. In my case, even after the dealer claimed to have adjusted the cables, I was having the front diff clunk/pop and slipping in and out of 4WD. I made the adjustment to the end of the 4WD cable at the lever on the front diff, which was loose, tightened the cable nut and took up about 1/4" of slack. It hasn't bothered since. The dealer obviously overlooked this which is frustrating, but glad to have this forum for help and reference. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself lol. Happy trails all!
I wish everyone would give a follow-up on their problem/solution as you did. Its such a big help to people in the future. 👍

Last edited:
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does anyone have any more pages from the repair manual of the two front diff cable adjustments? Mine is popping out of both 4WD and 4W Lock when I go up a steep hill. Also, it would be nice to see what parts you have to take off (last line if the above instructions say to the removed parts in reverse order).

Reactions: Lady01
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Does anyone have any more pages from the repair manual of the two front diff cable adjustments? Mine is popping out of both 4WD and 4W Lock when I go up a steep hill. Also, it would be nice to see what parts you have to take off (last line if the above instructions say to the removed parts in reverse order).
The only part to take off is the plastic cover on the front of the diff, covering the cable adjuster. You can spin both adjuster nuts by hand.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
advertisement
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The only part to take off is the plastic cover on the front of the diff, covering the cable adjuster. You can spin both adjuster nuts by hand.
Thanks Snuff. Do you have the clearance for the other cable? Your post above has a specific clearance range for one of them.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does anyone here know how these two cables work, exactly? Is the "final clutch cable" enabled in both 4WD and 4 wheel lock modes or just in 4WD mode? And I assume the "Front differential Lock cable" is only enabled in 4 wheel lock mode.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Does anyone here know how these two cables work, exactly? Is the "final clutch cable" enabled in both 4WD and 4 wheel lock modes or just in 4WD mode? And I assume the "Front differential Lock cable" is only enabled in 4 wheel lock mode.
The rear cable on the front diff connects the driveshaft to diff for 4wd and lock. The front cable is just for diff lock.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The rear cable on the front diff connects the driveshaft to diff for 4wd and lock. The front cable is just for diff lock.
Thanks, that is what I assumed. So that's why it popped out in both modes. So definitely, I need to adjust the "final clutch cable".

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I thought I'd follow up on this. I adjusted the cables per the above manual excerpt. Finally had a chance to test it out on some steep hills, and no more popping out of 4-wheel and no more noises. I had a nagging fear that some gear teeth would be ground off and it would not stay in gear, but I guess these things are pretty tough.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!