power steering

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Hi I am new to forum and side x side world and have only test drove a rhino the 2nd year it was ever released and didn't like it.Now the pioneer comes out with what I need with a family of 4 but I am finding it hard to pull the trigger so some reason because it doesn't have power steering.I keep telling myself this is just less to tear up longer down the road,but knowing Honda is going to be releasing other models and most competitors have it already should I wait?So my question is with a lot of pioneers out there now for the owners do you wish it had power steering or its not needed?

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
It really isn't an issue. I thought/worried about the same thing. The steering is very light. Ride one and you'll buy it if the lack of power steering is all that has you on the fence.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have one (yet), but i felt the thing steered lightly...even on pavement during my test drives. If that's all that is stopping you...keep in mind that the aftermarket will certainly have a kit out soon enough.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
So far here in Tennessee where I live they have all been pre ordered finally found 2 seater in stock but they wasn't to fond of me test riding since I was looking for the 4 seater.Said next 2 coming in were available. Trying to decide whether to put deposit down.When I first heard of pioneer I assumed it would have power steeering then when I learned it didn't I haven't been able to shake the disappointed feeling.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
nagromr1 said:
So far here in Tennessee where I live they have all been pre ordered finally found 2 seater in stock but they wasn't to fond of me test riding since I was looking for the 4 seater.Said next 2 coming in were available. Trying to decide whether to put deposit down.When I first heard of pioneer I assumed it would have power steeering then when I learned it didn't I haven't been able to shake the disappointed feeling.
I love dealers like that. I would have told them "ok...now i want a 2-seater instead" and then took it for a drive.

Look at the Pioneer's price point. No other 4 seat SxS's ( or Work/sport 2 seaters ) come close. If that means giving up something that most agree is nice, but not needed...? On an ATV it's different, but a SxS already has rack and pinon steering which greatly reduces effort ( somewhat offset by the greater weight ).

I memory serves, most aftermarket PS kits are around 500-700 bucks. If you get a Pioneer and decide it really needs PS for you, you can always buy the after market kit ( when it arrives ) and still be ahead of the game. As far as Honda doing it them selves, most people assume it will come in time...yet I've seen one article state that Honda does not plan to offer one. So who knows for sure?

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Nagromr1,
You're disappointment will disappear after the first 50 feet. My 5ft tall 100lb wife and my 68 year old grandmother both drive the Pioneer and have never mentioned any attention being paid to the lack of eps. I think you'll be pleasantly supprised!

B

Bobbo64

Aug 28, 2013
I believe if Honda thought there was a need for the Pioneer to have power steering they would had offered an option. I have no problem with steering on my 700-4, I love it. power steering will be offered through some companies in the future. The only reason to needing power steering on this machine I believe would be if people started adding larger wheels and tires. I mean very larger wheels and tires.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
nagromr1, Welcome to the community.
Like most have said, PS is not really needed. The Pioneer turns very well and after riding it last weekend for 150 miles I found no need for PS. Well, maybe in diff lock but you are just asking to break something if you force it too much. In regular 4x4 it still turned smother then I expected. When the PS kits start to roll out.... I will NOT be in the market for one because it is not needed. Even with aftermarket wheel's and tires.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Intially, I had some of the same concerns. I previously owned Polaris Rzr that had EPS and it was nice, but it added $1300 to the price tag. I can honestly say the only time I wished I had EPS on the Pioneer is when it was in 4 wheel locked mode going up through a nasty rock pile -even then it wasn't that bad. 95% of the time I don't miss not having the EPS on the (stock wheel) Pioneer; the above said, if I were to ever upgrade to 27" (aggressive) tires and rims, I would probably consider adding an aftermarket EPS to the Pioneer. If you stay with the stock size 25" tires adn rims, there is no real need for EPS.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
I really appreciate everyone's advice and opinion's. This will help me make my mind up.Sounds like when someone kinda wished they had it it was in the ruff stuff.I will be 100% on mostly smooth farmland tooling around the house running back and forth to grandparents place .Thanks Again for the help.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
My 94 year old mother in law is not going to be driving my p4. It is fine in the woods and 20 times easier steering than my 300 FourTrac . I don't see a need for ps.

D

deuce coupe

Nov 18, 2013
Power steering really isn't needed. As long as You are moving it turns easy. When You get up to speed it is squirrelly. In slow tight turns it requires a little muscle, but My wife drives it all the time.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
I test drove 700m4 on the 9th Nov didn't pay much attention to steering because this must have seemed a non-issue, ordered the 700m2 later that afternoon and as waiting for delivery on the 14 Nov. I joined this forum and began reading a lot of different info, I began to get concerned as to the lack of EPS. I've owned a few classic cars and trucks and in some the lack of power steering was a challenge. I have to say this is really a non-issue as I've spent time riding different terrains and the steering is light and responsive, unless while blasting the trails you were to hit something large and unexpectedly. My2cents

R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
Bobbo64 said:
I believe if Honda thought there was a need for the Pioneer to have power steering they would had offered an option. I have no problem with steering on my 700-4, I love it. power steering will be offered through some companies in the future. The only reason to needing power steering on this machine I believe would be if people started adding larger wheels and tires. I mean very larger wheels and tires.

Hi, Bobbo64. The Big Red is know as an underpowered machine, Honda never stated its power and torque, never recognized this lack of power offering a more powerful option, and launched a "new" sxs with the same mill.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rob, He was talking about Power Steering I think

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
greenatv said:

I guess hes just pointing out How Honda wont do whats "right", since they apparently messed up by releasing another sxs with the same underpowered engine?

R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
binfordw said:
greenatv said:

I guess hes just pointing out How Honda wont do whats "right", since they apparently messed up by releasing another sxs with the same underpowered engine?
greenatv said:

Hi, guys. You're right, binfordw.

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
I would want to install PS if i had a sxs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!