P1000 Question about transmission shifting

B

BEAR1041

Oct 22, 2016
memphis, TN
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm in the market to purchase a 1000-5. I had a salesman for another brand tell me that the Honda pioneer had issues with the transmission wanting to shift too much while in the mud. Example, in a rice field going to the duck pit. Is this true?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No. it has different modes for your situation . the sport mode is just like tow/haul in your truck and is very good at holding the gear. Or use manual mode and can leave it in any gear you wish.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the market to purchase a 1000-5. I had a salesman for another brand tell me that the Honda pioneer had issues with the transmission wanting to shift too much while in the mud. Example, in a rice field going to the duck pit. Is this true?
He was a sales man from another brand? Probably shoving polaris down your throat, or his kid sister can am. You will be fine, go with the Honda you'll be fine. It's a Honda!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In low auto mine does tend to shift more than I like but it's easily fixed. As already mentioned, either sport mode or manual.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No .you just have to use the correct mode for what you're doing. It doesn't take long to learn witch mode to be in.

Reactions: rmk700 and BEAR1041
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No. it has different modes for your situation . the sport mode is just like tow/haul in your truck and is very good at holding the gear. Or use manual mode and can leave it in any gear you wish.
Sport mode is like tow/haul? I may be wrong but it's supposed to change the shift points for more RPM and speed. I guess you could say it's similar to that tow/haul where it keeps the motor in the powerband.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I use mine for duck hunting, no problems when I keep it in 1st-Low gear.

Reactions: joeymt33
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Throw it in 3rd and stand on it make a little wake incase someone forgot to charge the roboduck!

We don't use no stinkin robo's, thats cheating!

Not really, they work some early season but by the time they get down here, most of the ducks are weary of them from y'all up North. A lot of the public land here in AR has outlawed them as well.

Anyway, I think the p1000 is a perfect duck hunting rig because I always hunt with at least 2 people and lots of gear and a dog, so 4-5 available seats is a huge bonus with a short wheel base to clear levee's.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Not really, they work some early season but by the time they get down here, most of the ducks are weary of them from y'all up North. A lot of the public land here in AR has outlawed them as well.

Anyway, I think the p1000 is a perfect duck hunting rig because I always hunt with at least 2 people and lots of gear and a dog, so 4-5 available seats is a huge bonus with a short wheel base to clear levee's.
I always run the roboduck in the morning but at first light when I see the competition . if they are running them I shut mine down and run "old fashioned" little calling and hold tight. Unless you go to north Dakota . the duck deal there is unreal . no sport involved .

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I will say when they first came out Omg they were awsome .

Reactions: amc019
R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's still better on the tranny shifting a lot in mud or snow than running it in high just because the shifting may annoy you.

B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't duck hunt or ride in that kinda stuff, however I have had mine a couple of months now and its taking some getting use to as I came from a RZR 4. The tranny is different from anything else out there. I ride in the Mena Arkansas area, Ouachita Mntns, and at 1st I used L range auto for the trails and climbing and the technical stuff (yes Its true it shifts out fast and at 1st I thought what have I done and honestly didn't like it), then I tried manual mode (lots of shifting and work just to drive it), then High range for the wide open stuff and simply every thing else. I found that Auto Low range works best for me in the technical and hill climbing stuff and what I like the most is I can still manually shift it, then switch over to High Range as needed. Point is there is so much this thing can do. Everything I have thrown at it, its impressing me more and more. My wife is even coming around now, and stated she's starting to like it. It definitely takes some getting use to, but its so versatile its a do all machine at least for me.

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't duck hunt or ride in that kinda stuff, however I have had mine a couple of months now and its taking some getting use to as I came from a RZR 4. The tranny is different from anything else out there. I ride in the Mena Arkansas area, Ouachita Mntns, and at 1st I used L range auto for the trails and climbing and the technical stuff (yes Its true it shifts out fast and at 1st I thought what have I done and honestly didn't like it), then I tried manual mode (lots of shifting and work just to drive it), then High range for the wide open stuff and simply every thing else. I found that Auto Low range works best for me in the technical and hill climbing stuff and what I like the most is I can still manually shift it, then switch over to High Range as needed. Point is there is so much this thing can do. Everything I have thrown at it, its impressing me more and more. My wife is even coming around now, and stated she's starting to like it. It definitely takes some getting use to, but its so versatile its a do all machine at least for me.
wait till you try sport mode . it keeps you in longer with more torqe

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!