StrykerFox

Jul 10, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
2020 Pioneer 700-4
30 hours
150 miles

Hey folks. First post. Sorry for the long-winded story here...

I've scoured the forum for info on my problem but I haven't found one that fits exactly.
Starting at about 70 miles/15 hours, my rear brake makes a lot of noise. Sounds like the rear brake does not grip. Kind of like a slipping/grinding noise. I do not ride serious trails, only in the woods behind my house which are relatively flat. I live outside of the foothills in NC. In other words some ups and downs but nothing steep. Definitely not enough down hill to kill my brakes.

2 months ago I took my rig in for 1st service at 20 hours and asked them to check the noise too. They told me it was ready but when I got there I was informed they never even 'got a chance' to look at the noise issue.

Fast forward to last week. I took it back in specifically for the rear brake noise. After inspections they say the rear rotor was 'glazed'. Offered me to replace it for $368 or to 'sand' the rotor for $245. Tech assured me sanding is sufficient. I went with the sand.
Got a call the rig is ready. I get down there and they inform me the noise is still there. And the charge is $64. I pushed a little. The tech said they test drove a new one off the floor and it makes the same noise... I call BS on that. At least mine didn't make that noise brand new. And by the way, I got the rig home and the noise/grinding/slipping is still the same.

So now I'm asking for help from you guys. Do I push back on the service dept? Or do I replace the rotor and pads myself? I've never worked on an ATV but I've done plenty of mechanic-ing on cars and truck through the years.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds to me like maybe a caliper is hanging up. Try putting it on flat easy ground in neutral and see how well it pushes.

BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
my 700-2 makes so much noise in the rear, between the brakes the rear diff and the bed latches it drives me insane so i just turn my music up louder lol

Reactions: JIMVJ
S

StrykerFox

Jul 10, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does it sound like this video, starting around 33 seconds?

If so, it's normal.

Yup, that's it. Thanks for the video. Normal, huh? It just sounds/feels too wrong to be a normal thing, especially with Honda engineering.

That being said, I'll try not to sweat it any more. I just hope my OCD self gets the memo.

Reactions: DG Rider
S

StrykerFox

Jul 10, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
my 700-2 makes so much noise in the rear, between the brakes the rear diff and the bed latches it drives me insane so i just turn my music up louder lol

Lol. Good idea! No sound system for me yet, but it's on the list.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yup, that's it. Thanks for the video. Normal, huh? It just sounds/feels too wrong to be a normal thing, especially with Honda engineering.

That being said, I'll try not to sweat it any more. I just hope my OCD self gets the memo.
I guess normal for a 700 pioneer (and to a lesser extent, the 500 ) would be the better way to put it. It's "gear lash", and a side effect of having the rear brake on the driveshaft. I'm told the old rhino did this as well.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess normal for a 700 pioneer (and to a lesser extent, the 500 ) would be the better way to put it. It's "gear lash", and a side effect of having the rear brake on the driveshaft. I'm told the old rhino did this as well.
My 700-4 did the same thing, drove me nuts and then one day it just went away or I got used to it.

T

Trailryder

May 22, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I haven’t heard my 700 make that noise at least not yet but mine is making a squealing noise from the front but only in 2 wheel drive. It appears to be from the front drive shaft area which I will get it looked at soon.

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement
N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
2020 Pioneer 700-4
30 hours
150 miles

Hey folks. First post. Sorry for the long-winded story here...

I've scoured the forum for info on my problem but I haven't found one that fits exactly.
Starting at about 70 miles/15 hours, my rear brake makes a lot of noise. Sounds like the rear brake does not grip. Kind of like a slipping/grinding noise. I do not ride serious trails, only in the woods behind my house which are relatively flat. I live outside of the foothills in NC. In other words some ups and downs but nothing steep. Definitely not enough down hill to kill my brakes.

2 months ago I took my rig in for 1st service at 20 hours and asked them to check the noise too. They told me it was ready but when I got there I was informed they never even 'got a chance' to look at the noise issue.

Fast forward to last week. I took it back in specifically for the rear brake noise. After inspections they say the rear rotor was 'glazed'. Offered me to replace it for $368 or to 'sand' the rotor for $245. Tech assured me sanding is sufficient. I went with the sand.
Got a call the rig is ready. I get down there and they inform me the noise is still there. And the charge is $64. I pushed a little. The tech said they test drove a new one off the floor and it makes the same noise... I call BS on that. At least mine didn't make that noise brand new. And by the way, I got the rig home and the noise/grinding/slipping is still the same.

So now I'm asking for help from you guys. Do I push back on the service dept? Or do I replace the rotor and pads myself? I've never worked on an ATV but I've done plenty of mechanic-ing on cars and truck through the years.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Great post, Thanks for this guy's!!!

Reactions: StrykerFox
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree with Cumminspusher. I would start with pulling and looking at the caliber. Also when thoese are off, check the rotor for any unever polish.

You could ignore it that would also mean when the sound ends something has machined it self off to correct the problem

M

MT Reed

Aug 11, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
I haven’t heard my 700 make that noise at least not yet but mine is making a squealing noise from the front but only in 2 wheel drive. It appears to be from the front drive shaft area which I will get it looked at soon.
Did you ever figure out what the noise was? Might is doing the exact same thing of a squeaky noise from the front in 2 wheel drive.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I believe that sound is the brakes too. It went away at About 1500 miles and every once in a while is comes back on them long descends.
It drove me nuts at first
Everyone asking if that’s normal.

Reactions: clark dearth
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!