Recommended GPS apps/mapping for Lake City, CO area

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Got a first trip to Colorado coming up in a few weeks.
What do guys recommend for apps/maps for the Lake City area?

Reactions: TimG and Smittyp
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went in blind, it's my go-to navigation system. That said - I kept track of where I was with GAIA GPS on my iPad. Once I got GAIA, I just look for dotted white lines. GAIA is free, btw. I'm paying $29 a year because I wanted the 'forever' track logs, like below. They may be free too, but I signed up before finding out.

Lake City is very UTV friendly and there are maps available everywhere. That doesn't help if you want to study up before you leave though.

GAIA screen shot, blue track is where I've ridden, dotted white is where I haven't.
x.gif

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here’s my Alpine Loop track plus Corkscrew Pass, spur at far left center (a must do ride IMO). The spur in the bottom right is also worth your time. Lake City is at the top right.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Something else to look into - Silverton got tired of rude OHVs and outlawed them, I’m not sure if the full Alpine Loop is still available or if you have to ride it from both directions, turning back at Silverton? Regardless, you won’t be shopping in Silverton.:(

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cotrex app is Colorado state sponsored and free download if your tablet has GPS it will follow you all through the trails, also could just download san Juan mountain mvum map from forest service and does similar. Another excellent resource if you do Facebook is San Juan Mountain trail group . Really great riding that area. Make SURE you have read up on cooling system bleed procedure and have fan override switch installed prior are my best advice!

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I went in blind, it's my go-to navigation system. That said - I kept track of where I was with GAIA GPS on my iPad. Once I got GAIA, I just look for dotted white lines. GAIA is free, btw. I'm paying $29 a year because I wanted the 'forever' track logs, like below. They may be free too, but I signed up before finding out.

Lake City is very UTV friendly and there are maps available everywhere. That doesn't help if you want to study up before you leave though.

GAIA screen shot, blue track is where I've ridden, dotted white is where I haven't.
x.gif

View attachment 350220
Thanks! I loaded up Gaia on my tablet and started to play with it. Looks like it should do the job. I have been using a midwest specific map system from VV Maps that runs on Orux maps. It works well in my home area, but doesnt support Colorado at all.

advertisement
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Cotrex app is Colorado state sponsored and free download if your tablet has GPS it will follow you all through the trails, also could just download san Juan mountain mvum map from forest service and does similar. Another excellent resource if you do Facebook is San Juan Mountain trail group . Really great riding that area. Make SURE you have read up on cooling system bleed procedure and have fan override switch installed prior are my best advice!
My tablet does have GPS onboard, so thats another option to consider. I have been following San Juan Mountain trail Facebook group for awhile now. Ive been thru the cooling system bleed process as I installed a heater in my pioneer the first winter that I had it. No fan over ride, though. Might have to order one up quick from the club store….all good suggestions, thanks.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks! I loaded up Gaia on my tablet and started to play with it. Looks like it should do the job. I have been using a midwest specific map system from VV Maps that runs on Orux maps. It works well in my home area, but doesnt support Colorado at all.
GAIA uses several common topo databases including the USGS topo so it should be good nationwide. I haven't learned how to download maps and much of my riding is out of signal but it still seems to work. Having your choice of topo downloaded into the tablet would be a good idea.

Click on the 'stacked pages' in the upper right corner (at least on the iPad) to see you map download choices.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My tablet does have GPS onboard, so thats another option to consider. I have been following San Juan Mountain trail Facebook group for awhile now. Ive been thru the cooling system bleed process as I installed a heater in my pioneer the first winter that I had it. No fan over ride, though. Might have to order one up quick from the club store….all good suggestions, thanks.
The fan override covers a multitude of potential problems. Heck, I added one to my V-Max because they tend to run hot in traffic.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Buy the books that are avalible! Very informative. And really cheap for the info included.
I bought the fourth edition of Guide to Colorado Backroads &4 Wheel Drive Trails. Looks like it has most if not all of the popular trails in the Lake City area.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
In a few weeks may be a bit late. Was there in Silverton second week of September in '18 and snow had already started to fall some and had ice on buggy early in the morning. Carry cold weather gear for sure!
I was in Lake City last year Sept. 19 - 25, the weather was perfect and the aspen were in full boogie. I agree, with altitudes above 12,000 feet, always have winter wear available. 👍

I PLptZrc XL

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was in Lake City last year Sept. 19 - 25, the weather was perfect and the aspen were in full boogie. I agree, with altitudes above 12,000 feet, always have winter wear available. 👍

View attachment 351374
Beautiful scenery at that time to experience if the weather cooperates! Good luck and hope it does! Wish we could be there!

Reactions: TimG and CID
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!