P1000 Rough Country 2" Pod light with DRL (Electrical Installation Help)

L

lvscrap

May 28, 2022
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys. I recently purchased this rough country kit for my 22 P1k5.

The issue I'm having is that the included wiring harness has a nice 3 way 20 amp switch but no relay. The included instructions are for a completely different rough country light bar and do show a relay. The box says the lights are (40 watts / 3600 lumens) and I'm assuming this is combined.

I called the rough country technical assistance and spoke with Jeremy who proceeded to tell me that no relay is needed for this kit as it's (engineered) without one. I asked him why the included inline fuse was 40 amps if the switch was rated at 20 amps. I asked him if it would be advisable to go ahead and use a 15 amp fuse to protect the switch. He then said I would VOID my warranty if I used a 15 amp fuse. I tried to explain to him that having a 40 amp fuse does nothing for switch protection and that if I was pumping 35 amps through that switch it would burn up before the damn fuse popped. Jeremy wasn't hearing none of that and started getting a real attitude about the whole situation. He refused to give me anyone else's name to discuss this with. Lmfao

I don't know much about 12v systems which is why I called the (tech line). Laughable at best.

I've wired my whole Honda using all the tips and ideas from the people here on this site. Thanks for that and hopefully you guys can help with this as well.

I have an accessory fuse box that I had planned on wiring this to. (I have the popular hondasxs.com dual battery, isolator, stinger relay, acc. bus bars set up.

Would it be ok to just cut off the inline fuse and wire to my accessory fuse box with a 10 amp fuse? I'm assuming that the total watts for the two pods is 40. I'm thinking that's about 3.5-5 amps? Is that right? Should I just buy a relay and use one anyway or do these pods look ok with no relay? Thanks guys.

P1k5 20220703 143420 20220703 203226

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If you have a clamp on DC amp meter you could measure the actual draw and fuse appropriately.

Reactions: lvscrap
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes.
Wire it to the fuse box on a 10A fuse.
I bet a 5a would work too.
Most cubes under $200 usually pull 1.5 amps each.

You are correct about the 40a fuse. Your switch could melt before it pops.
But. Just cause the switch is rated for 20 doesn't mean it can't pass 40 long enough to pop it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!