P500 Rule of Thumb for mods?

waynester

waynester

Feb 19, 2022
Ga, USA
Ownership

1. 520
Please no read " terms and conditions" or lawyer talk. In general is there 👍👎 list of mods acceptable WITHOUT voiding warranty? OR guild lines? My 520 is a baby 1 month old. And 500 vs 520 any diff when ordering parts/mods? (besides bed)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There is no answer for this.

Honda has been reported of weighing seat bottoms to declared a void warranty. So with that said. Leave it in the rain and your SOL.

Generally a tight relationship with your dealer is the link to getting modifications overlooked for warranty.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I know the doors are the same.
I got a use door from a p500 and it fit fine.
Knowing your dealer is the key thing.
I change my own oil, but buy the oil and filter from the dealer.
It costs more, but there is a record of what I bought.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
#1 warranty rule

Find a dealership capable with the desire to help you with warranty work.

I have worked at a GM dealership for 7 years. When it comes to warranty the coverage is only as good as the dealership is. Never be afraid to ask questions prior to any modification you plan on doing.

I purchased my pioneer 1000-5 from a powersports dealer. I talked with the sales and service department during my negotiations and confirmed everything I wanted to do up front. Long story short I was told that as long as I stuck with high lifter brand parts for my lift and used their recommended tire sizes I would be covered. The dealer I purchased from was a high lifter distributor as well. I have not had to use my warranty coverage yet. I did purchase the extended coverage after our negotiations. I drove 1.5 hours to purchase from this dealer who just rocked at the time of purchase.

I had the local Honda dealership who refused to even talk price at the time. I simply asked if they were open to negotiating and the immediate response I received was no. I politely asked why they were so firm on price and the response I was given by the salesman was "look if you don't want to pay what it's listed for we know someone else will" I immediately was turned off by these guys. Long story short I really don't like them.

Final example. A friend of mine purchased his 1000-3 from the local dealer previously mentioned. 3 days into ownership he had delayed shifts. They charged him $80 to adjust the cables. I was floored. I don't care if it's maintenance or not you literally just bought it and it's your first week. 10 months in his cv shaft started clicking/making noise. During the first month my friend changed tires to 28" kenda executioner. Everything else was stock. The local dealer refused to warranty cover it because they told him the tires caused pre mature wear.

I could rant about warranty work all day. I have plenty of GM, and Ford warranty coverages that I have done personally and have had Co workers get into.

The short of the long is again, warranty is only as good as your dealer is.

In today's world, the pen is mightier than the wrench.

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Well, this discussion makes my decision to NOT buy the extended warranty even easier. I just came in the mail yesterday:
5EF6057D A583 4935 8283 91F6EC63283E

waynester

waynester

Feb 19, 2022
Ga, USA
Ownership

1. 520
My prob with extended warranties are: 1. cost more then product. 2. cost , need double loan to pay. Some inexpensive items are cheaper to replace (sorry ,I don't like throw away world either) and on larger items I do research enough not to buy item with known issues.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I think my biggest problem with extended warranties is the hoops you have to jump through to invoke the process. The cost isn't that big of a deal most of the time, but trying to get work done or something replaced is just painful.

Knowing that, my list of mods will no doubt render the OEM warranty void, why would I pay for the extension only to have it declined later?

I've changed or added:
  • Wheels
  • Tires
  • Skid plates
  • A-arms
  • Power steering
  • head light bulbs
  • Cup holders
  • Glove box
  • Winch
  • Windshield
  • Roof
  • Trigger shield
  • Aux lighting
  • Locker
The only things I might be able to get covered are the LCD display, radiator and exhaust... everything other mechanical part could get voided because of added stress.

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!