P500 Still too loud!

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
My satisfaction level is growing every time I drive my P500. But, at full speed of 38.5 mph, the exhaust noise is ridiculous. I've had 500 Foreman's for years and never anywhere near this loud. They should really have a warning for potential hearing damage. I noticed that my Honda 350 and 500 atv's have the exhaust pointing strait back and no pipe past the muffler. This would allow the sound to "scatter" like a sawed off shotgun. Is it possible that the P500 exhaust having a pipe outlet pointing down is causing some of the problem? I shouldn't have to add/change mufflers, Honda can do better! Just thinking...

Reactions: Arizona
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The rear end noise is by far louder than the exhaust... at least on mine. And the general engine noise is louder than my exhaust. Get a silencer and add on to it. May help you

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 500, 700, and 1000 are all loud at WOT top speed.

With roof I couldn't talk to someone at 40 without screaming on my 700. The 1000 is at lower RPMs at 40 so you can talk. Roof has an affect on it.

I've seen several silencers for a 500 to make them quieter.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 700-4 is definitely the loudest!

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
All side by sides are much noisier than an ATV, gets worse once you add roof, windshields and doors. One of the plants I visit bought Polaris Rangers for in the plant vehicles and they require hearing protection for all riders after HSE monitored the noise level.

I am putting the silver bubble wrap under my seat and looking for a silencer. Had one on my Rancher and it was very quiet.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All side by sides are much noisier than an ATV, gets worse once you add roof, windshields and doors. One of the plants I visit bought Polaris Rangers for in the plant vehicles and they require hearing protection for all riders after HSE monitored the noise level.

I am putting the silver bubble wrap under my seat and looking for a silencer. Had one on my Rancher and it was very quiet.
The heat bubble wrap did little for noise on mine. I don't have it up to the top of my seat back though. I have been thinking of making a silencer mat out of a rubber mud flap for dump trucks. Bolt it to my honda bed. Then run it to under the seat. I think that would work great!

Reactions: Fishfool64
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or a truck bed rubber mat

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I thought I had some boom mat left that I used under the hood and above the mufflers on a supercharged suburban I used to have. I think that would work great, all I could find laying around was the silver bubble wrap.

advertisement
R

Rustell

I added a little bit of that silver bubble wrap to the heat shield above the muffler.That thing rattles really bad. It helped some but if you manage to get rid of one noise...another one just takes it's place.

Rattle trap

Reactions: Derail and Farmer
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Take heat / noise barrier
..all the way up the back....
& have desent tunes..
or earplugs...other brands
noiser..just drove..quite
a....few

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
The 500, 700, and 1000 are all loud at WOT top speed.

With roof I couldn't talk to someone at 40 without screaming on my 700. The 1000 is at lower RPMs at 40 so you can talk. Roof has an affect on it.

I've seen several silencers for a 500 to make them quieter.
Wouldn't any type of silencer affect performance?

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I wear foam earplugs, a habit from extensive motorcycle riding.
I have resorted to ear plugs also. Had my ten year old grandson for a ride and at 30 mph he instinctively covered his ears. Even from a noise pollution view, quieter in the bush is kinder to the animals. Probably not an issue while puttering around on the trails. I still think Honda engineers can do better.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!