Street tires/wheels DOT compliant

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
i don't think Ouray is UTV friendly either (in town). If start in Lake City, you should be able to do Alpine loop with no problem & if skip Silverton, you don't have to drive the 5 miles of gravel road in and back out. I love the Alpine Loop, but personally think that part of it up by Engineer Pass should be one way (gets a little tight meeting people). Cool area.

Side note, it appears that the road project on Highway 50 by Little Blue Creek is still on going, but no total closure this year

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Kalirado hates SxSs. :confused: Sad that Silverton closed their doors to 'us' but some of 'us' are ill-mannered with loud exhausts, loud stereos and party well into the night. Moab is about fed up with some of 'us' too. :confused: I accidentally met Moab Marty between Hancock and Tomichi passes this summer and he recommended the Alpine Loop. Since I had time, away I went and had a great time. Lake City loves 'us'. 😍 I'm not sure if the entire Alpine Loop will be doable if we skirt Silverton, someone will know. I want to go back again this fall.

The desert is my favorite place in the universe, I can't get enough of it. I avoided mountain riding on the dirt bikes, not enough skill for the endless rocks, the Talon has opened all of that up to me. YAY!!! Since I gravitated to the desert on the bikes, I'm really not very versed in the Colorado riding yet. Unlike areas in Utah, Colorado riding is more scattered, few centralized hubs that I've found other than Lake City. Lots of day rides available but frequent moves if I want new trails/roads. Durango and Ouray were way out of my range before the RV and Talon but they're on my bucket list now.

Won't your DRF bed extender carry a spare? Are you wanting 2 spares (I have 2 by happenstance)? My over the cargo area mount is a Factory UTV if I remember right and it allows me to fully open my TSC storage box. I have a 3 gallon Rotopax on the inside of my DRF bed extender. I need some kind of communication that's more universal than my helmet radio if I'm going to be riding with others, communication adds so much to a ride.

Yes, the DFR bed extender can be had with an optional spare mount. But, I'm just not too thrilled with having that heavy spare cantilevered off the back, so I'll probably opt for a mount that rides above the cargo area instead (although honestly, I'm a bit concerned about having that 60 lbs. mounted high on the vehicle too - limited options for sure).

I'd highly recommend that you look at the Gunnison/Taylor Reservoir area too. The views are spectacular, trails up to Tincup/St. Elmo. Up above Crested Butte are several opportunities, including Schofield Pass and the infamous Devil's Punchbowl. The reward for that run is the most-photographed spot in Colorado, Crystal Mill powerhouse. There are trails that go all the way from south of Crested Butte to Aspen (Pearl Pass), but of course you're not allowed to go into Aspen to refuel, so you've got to have enough fuel with you to get out and back. Similarly, there's a nice loop that takes you from Crested Butte up to Paradise Divide with access to Schofield Pass, and then past Emerald Lake and back down to the Crested Butte ski area via Gothic. Unfortunately, there's about a 2-mile segment of road between the ski area and the town of Crested Butte on which OHV's are NOT allowed. So, it's an out and back proposition too.

There are primitive cabins available and lots of camping around Taylor Reservoir, which affords a nice hub to hit most of the trails in the area, with the exception of the Crested Butte area I just talked about, so you'd have a short trailering to that venue. The best thing is that there are gas pumps available at the Taylor giftshop.

Highly recommend that you check it out. Would be a bit shorter drive for you from Denver too.

Steve

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CID and crewcabrob
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's always the few, the loud, the peckerheads, that screw it up for everyone else. Stupid bungholes doing what stupid bungholes do.
I agree.

Burnouts are one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Burnouts and the braindead smoking figure eights the airheads on the car channel on tv frequently do.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree.

Burnouts are one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Burnouts and the braindead smoking figure eights the airheads on the car channel on tv frequently do.

I suspect that speeding, loud exhaust, and the mind-numbing pound of subwoofers are probably the main complaints. But it's going to be a substantial loss of revenue for the community. And I don't know what the local sxs rental companies are going to do.

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here's a few shots with the new wheels and tires.

IMG 1942

IMG 1948

Steve

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
what I don't get is the banning of UTV. There are rules / laws in effect that the cops can slam these guys. If it is know that you are going to get stiff tickets for noise, speeding, Drunk (and gets enforced a few times) the roudys will go someplace else. Impound a couple racers and they will get the idea. I think a lot of the problem in places like Moab is there are groups that don't want us there and will use any excuse to get it done. The Jeep crowd is just as bad, just way harder to ban normal street legal vehicles. Traffic is so bad in Moab most of time, it would be hard to speed LOL

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
what I don't get is the banning of UTV. There are rules / laws in effect that the cops can slam these guys. If it is know that you are going to get stiff tickets for noise, speeding, Drunk (and gets enforced a few times) the roudys will go someplace else. Impound a couple racers and they will get the idea. I think a lot of the problem in places like Moab is there are groups that don't want us there and will use any excuse to get it done. The Jeep crowd is just as bad, just way harder to ban normal street legal vehicles. Traffic is so bad in Moab most of time, it would be hard to speed LOL

I believe that a small town like Silverton has little to no police force, largely relying upon the county sheriff's office for enforcement. And that can only go so far. The biggest difference between Jeeps and UTV's (in my opinion) is that UTV's have substantially louder exhaust, especially when speeding through town, obnoxiously so. And the current trend among the riders seems to be louder exhaust, louder stereos and overall "hey, look at me" mentality. I just don't get it. My philosophy has always been function over form. If an item doesn't have functional usefulness, you're not likely to see it on my machine. I just don't get the notion of light whips, booming subwoofers and the like. My money goes toward building a competent trail machine, not a parade float. But, hey, that's just me, I guess.

Drinking and driving OTOH (which seems prevalent as well), I say toss them in jail and throw away the key.

BOTTOM LINE: When the hooligans outnumber the rest of us, we can expect local authorities to show us the exit.

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, the DFR bed extender can be had with an optional spare mount. But, I'm just not too thrilled with having that heavy spare cantilevered off the back, so I'll probably opt for a mount that rides above the cargo area instead (although honestly, I'm a bit concerned about having that 60 lbs. mounted high on the vehicle too - limited options for sure).

Stever
I was concerned about the cantilevered weight also but - 1. That rearward weight helps the Talon's suspension geometry work better. 2. All the desert racers, including trophy trucks have huge rear weight packages (two spares and I believe the fuel cell is back there too?).

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
they could fix the exhaust with a noise rules like Wisconsin / Michigan have for snowmobiles with sound meter. DNR sets out in woods and writes tickets (expensive tickets). Before long word gets around and back on goes stock stuff (sure few exceptions but easier to pick out). Again big fines are fund raiser for city besides problem solvers. We stayed in Silverton a couple years back in September and there were plenty of State cops & DNR around to fix noise. Night speeding might be bigger problem, but again short term presence would go a long way. Bet those rental places would jump through hoops to help if they are not already forced out

Reactions: CID and stellarpod
advertisement
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Y'all are forgetting that Karen is a NIMBY. Karen doesn't care how quiet you are, nor how respectful or law abiding. Karen just wants you to be gone. Karen spent more money on her house than you spent for gas at the local gettin' spot, so Karen obviously has more rights than you. Karen doesn't want you spoiling her town. We need a Karen hunting season.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I believe that a small town like Silverton has little to no police force, largely relying upon the county sheriff's office for enforcement. And that can only go so far. The biggest difference between Jeeps and UTV's (in my opinion) is that UTV's have substantially louder exhaust, especially when speeding through town, obnoxiously so. And the current trend among the riders seems to be louder exhaust, louder stereos and overall "hey, look at me" mentality. I just don't get it. My philosophy has always been function over form. If an item doesn't have functional usefulness, you're not likely to see it on my machine. I just don't get the notion of light whips, booming subwoofers and the like. My money goes toward building a competent trail machine, not a parade float. But, hey, that's just me, I guess.

Drinking and driving OTOH (which seems prevalent as well), I say toss them in jail and throw away the key.

BOTTOM LINE: When the hooligans outnumber the rest of us, we can expect local authorities to show us the exit.

Steve

I am on a page on FB called San Juan Mountain Trail Group. I watched as the ITV ban played out in Silverton. More enforcement was my recommendation and even found a grant that would help supplement the cost of more enforcement to promote the use of the back country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Always same width wheels F&R. No spacers, almost all vehicles are wider in the front. Handling is better that way. The only time you want the same on the F&R or narrow front is in the dunes, so the front end dives and hooks on the the outside when cornering.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The only time you want the same on the F&R or narrow front is in the dunes,
And rock crawling and off camber and almost anything else other than going fast and turning.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Kalirado hates SxSs. :confused: Sad that Silverton closed their doors to 'us' but some of 'us' are ill-mannered with loud exhausts, loud stereos and party well into the night. Moab is about fed up with some of 'us' too. :confused: I accidentally met Moab Marty between Hancock and Tomichi passes this summer and he recommended the Alpine Loop. Since I had time, away I went and had a great time. Lake City loves 'us'. 😍 I'm not sure if the entire Alpine Loop will be doable if we skirt Silverton, someone will know. I want to go back again this fall.

The desert is my favorite place in the universe, I can't get enough of it. I avoided mountain riding on the dirt bikes, not enough skill for the endless rocks, the Talon has opened all of that up to me. YAY!!! Since I gravitated to the desert on the bikes, I'm really not very versed in the Colorado riding yet. Unlike areas in Utah, Colorado riding is more scattered, few centralized hubs that I've found other than Lake City. Lots of day rides available but frequent moves if I want new trails/roads. Durango and Ouray were way out of my range before the RV and Talon but they're on my bucket list now.

Won't your DRF bed extender carry a spare? Are you wanting 2 spares (I have 2 by happenstance)? My over the cargo area mount is a Factory UTV if I remember right and it allows me to fully open my TSC storage box. I have a 3 gallon Rotopax on the inside of my DRF bed extender. I need some kind of communication that's more universal than my helmet radio if I'm going to be riding with others, communication adds so much to a ride.
Just rubbin it in- we opened the garage door yesterday, went out for a 225 mile ride and saw two other vehicles after we got past where you camped. Turned over 10,000 miles on a 11 month old machine, about half of them from the house:)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just rubbin it in- we opened the garage door yesterday, went out for a 225 mile ride and saw two other vehicles after we got past where you camped. Turned over 10,000 miles on a 11 month old machine, about half of them from the house:)
I hate U. 😢 I happened to notice this at the trailhead before yesterday's ride (just over16 months). All dirt, my Talon's no pavement pansy. 😎

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
And rock crawling and off camber and almost anything else other than going fast and turning.
Rock crawling would be the only place having front and rear in line.

Reactions: Buggyman
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Always same width wheels F&R. No spacers, almost all vehicles are wider in the front. Handling is better that way. The only time you want the same on the F&R or narrow front is in the dunes, so the front end dives and hooks on the the outside when cornering.

My intention is not to maintain the same width on back as the front. It is rather to stay as close to factory geometry as possible (approx. 3" narrower on back). Using STI HD9's with a 6+1 all the way around means that in order to maintain that geometry I have to use 1-1/2" spacers on back. And I've pretty well achieved that (within a half inch or so) with this package. If I don't use the spacers, I've effectively reduced the rear track width from factory by 3". That may be fine with some, but it's not what I wanted.

Steve

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
We aren't allowed on paved roads here, plating isn't allowed :confused: so 99% + of my miles are dirt. I don't think yer askin' too much in a tire and like you, I have to live with whatever decision I make, good or bad. I agree that mud destroys equipment and avoid it whenever possible (ick, ick, ick, ick).

I knew the Talon suspensions would never be described as plush so I knew I'd want to try lower tire pressures. I couldn't 'comfortably' do that without beadlocks, so here I am. BTW - this is my first experience with beadlocks AND SxSs. :) And on an unrelated point - I'm headed for Arizona this month, including Weller Racing for a shock revalve, I need a little more plush, potholes and rocks are beating me up.
Quick question on the unrelated point. Is it true you currently have a weller set up and you are going back for a further refinement? If so, have you ever had the opportunity to compare your setup to the internal bypass stuff? I believe your riding style and ours is very similar, your opinion would be highly regarded. At 10,000 miles plus, my shocks are about 5000 miles past due for a rebuild but at $1000 or so for a seal kit and different srings "I" would consider the $5000 ibp if it was a significant improvement. We routinely do 6-8 hours a ride, plush and comfy is good but i do have a fire breathing dragon guarding my checkbook:confused:

advertisement