Trail riding - is it about the destination or the journey?

Trail Riding - Destination or the Journey?

• 100% about the destination. The machine is a tool to get me there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75% about the destination, but enjoy the journey as well.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 50/50 - I really like them both.

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • 25% about the destination, I like to take the harder route.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 0% about the destination, 100% about the ride.

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Was just looking at a few reports and the picture of the machine on it's side in the ROTM thread and got to thinking, what part of the ride is more important, the destination or the ride to get there?

The poll doesn't allow a scale so I'll throw in a few in between options as well.

To me it is mostly about the destination. I want to get places that I can't get in a car so I have a machine that will get me to those places. I actually enjoy the ride to get there, but if there was 1/4 mile of extremely technical trail that I could go on, or a round about 1/2 mile easy trail and they both got to the same place I would probably take the easy route.

I would tend to think that people posting on an internet forum are probably more slanted toward the guys wanting the challenge for them and their machine of the 1/4 challenging trail but not sure. Thought I would throw up a poll on it.

Thanks, Nathan

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Where's the "It's about how many trail sodas I can drink and still stand up when we get to the destination" choice?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The ride doesn't have to be a challenge to be interesting. Granted, getting through something you thought impossible is cool but I enjoy the cruise too. Doing a 5/30 ride with friends can be fun too. Hanging out at the sand hill and watching the other machines.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
It is a 50/50 for me and I don’t mind the technical trails that much but I definitely would rather not break something. I don’t mind going around if it means that my trip isn’t ruined. s*** happens but I try and avoid the s***.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t really care where we are going. I just want to go for a ride. That doesn’t mean I’m out to find the hardest route to get somewhere though.

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It is a 50/50 for me and I don’t mind the technical trails that much but I definitely would rather not break something. I don’t mind going around if it means that my trip isn’t ruined. s*** happens but I try and avoid the s***.
LOL, small world, I see your from Lake Charles (or just live there). I grew up 10 minutes south of the Lake Charles airport in Grand Lake.

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I don’t really care where we are going. I just want to go for a ride. That doesn’t mean I’m out to find the hardest route to get somewhere though.
I enjoy both. Living in the Black Hills gives me the best of both worlds. We have 3600 miles of beautiful trail systems here that have something for everyone plus all the sights you will remember for a lifetime.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
20230429 112729
20230429 112758

20240323 152643

IMG 0726

Stuck in a rut

VideoCapture 20240326 092815

It's about doing what it takes to rock up to the next point of interest, park next to your buddies and know that you spent 1/3 the $ they did to get to the same place.

20240323 171229

(full disclosure, I stole some of the pictures but the creative driving is all me)

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Ass-u-me <> No injuries or worse

No injuries, I obey the "you shall surly die" warning label on the dash, helmet, gloves, I left the nets on (it doesn't say anything about not crashing).
As for the drivers training, how do you know the engineers at honda didn't intend for this to be ridden this way? :rolleyes:
(although, @Hondasxs had the same thought (pictures or it didn't happen))

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Too Many UNDER ENGINERED things today. & under Maintained <> ALL that MATTERS <> $$$$$$$

Aircraft Industry Comes to mind both Military & Commercial Crashes & Parts Falling Off. <> ALL that MATTERS <> $$$$$$$
Automotive Recalls <> Keep Selling <> Full Knowledge of Containing Defective Parts. <> ALL that MATTERS $$$$$$
No end to the list <> most things are not made to LAST on Purpose again $$$$$$
engineers <> intend for this to be this way?
Sometimes Truth has No Humor

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 100Acre and lee
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I voted 50/50 but, my passion is driving. My passion is mostly devoted to driving cars on racetracks but, I really enjoy my recreational drives through the forests in the SxS. So, in reality, it’s more about the drive but damn, we have some amazing destinations here in the PNW.

Mike

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I voted 50/50 but, my passion is driving. My passion is mostly devoted to driving cars on racetracks but, I really enjoy my recreational drives through the forests in the SxS. So, in reality, it’s more about the drive but damn, we have some amazing destinations here in the PNW.

Mike
U know the damb rulz - pics or it din't happen.
ddg.gif

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm in the same boat here. I just want to ride! Down here in Southwest Louisiana our riding options are limited. We mainly ride the Kisatchie National Forest Sandstone trail. I pretty much have memorized the important landmarks of that trail we've been so often. It's still fun though being only 2 hrs from home.

Challenging trails are fun but I'm not interested at all in tearing up my machine trying something stupid. These things cost too much now! It's a long ways from a $4000 400EX!

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!