Multi What's the best machine NEVER made?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I got into the original Honda Rubicon ownership during its 1st year. It sticks in my mind as an epic machine, and a rolling definition of why most of us used to buy Hondas. Smooth and seamless, despite having drum brakes, an open front end, full-time 4x4, and solid axle during the time when most MFG's were moving away from those things. It had its quirks, but it was awesome.
Issues with front end ending up causing a messy divorce, but until that moment, it was heaven.

Word came of the new "flagship" that turned out to be the Rincon. Suspension and handling of the gods, but with a confusing mission that seems to have been less utility than sport-ish. And that transmission was an odd choice that has always had critics. I test rode one and was amazed by the ride, but was unsure if it was what i needed, so i passed.
The 1st thing i thought afterwards was "man...Honda should drop the 500 Rubi in that chassis and that would be it". Never happened, of course, but what an awesome combo that would have been. They both live on, but the Rubi lost that magical tranny years ago, while the Rincon must be one of the hardest sells in the ATV world.

So what do you think is a machine that could have, or should have been made, but for whatever reason, never was?

ATV's, SxS's, Dirtbikes, or even street bikes...but real possibilities. Not twin turbo Rincon BS or something like that. Something that could have really happened.

For me, the 500/Rincon Chassis machine would have been so good, it's a shame they didn't make it.

D

DDDonkey

Honestly, if Suzuki had come out with a side-by-side I would’ve looked real hard at one of those. My first ever ATV was a Suzuki Eiger 400 and that thing was a beast. I know lots of people say they did with a Suzuki samurai but I mean something like the pioneer or even a sport machine. I would love to see a five seater sport machine from the factory where you don’t need to add a bench seat to the rear. Something like a pioneer with a little bit more wheel travel, better suspension, and a little more horsepower maybe 120 or so.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly, if Suzuki had come out with a side-by-side I would’ve looked real hard at one of those. My first ever ATV was a Suzuki Eiger 400 and that thing was a beast. I know lots of people say they did with a Suzuki samurai but I mean something like the pioneer or even a sport machine. I would love to see a five seater sport machine from the factory where you don’t need to add a bench seat to the rear. Something like a pioneer with a little bit more wheel travel, better suspension, and a little more horsepower maybe 120 or so.
Been waiting for Suzuki to do something as well. Even a 700 pioneer like utility with the King Quad 750 drivetrain would probably sell well for them.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Although, I always wanted a Kettankrad

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so what would you do to them to make them better?
You never had an ATV?
Nope, The 500 was the 1st machine for me. I drove a Kawasaki 100 and a Honda 50 once each in my life. We have a Kubota RTV 900 but that doesn't count unless I could make the bed of the 1000 into a hydraulic dump bed. Tactically speaking I'm not sure how well a Pioneer would hold up in like a mad max shtf scenario. But I have dreamt of mounting an RPK w/ 100 round drum mag etc for the passenger's use. Maybe Honda could develop a Tactical urban assault vehicle. Maybe stretch the frame a little and possibly mount a 105 recoiless rifle or a rotating ZPU-4 on the back with drop down side armor for better transverse shooting against land based targets.

advertisement
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had a rincon 680 and loved it as a trail bike. But didnt really like the gearing transmission at first then it burnt to the ground . And someone made a 500 with the 680 frame and it was a beast. Move on a bit. My dad got the big red. And i rode in it with him during planting for deer season since i burnt my 680 and his 500 up at the same time . And i grew to love the transmission in his big red. So 6 months later when the pioneer 4 seater came out. Instantly hooked and figured they would be big on accessories after a yr or 2 cause the looks and the versability. Boy i was wrong. Lol but still love the 700. When the 1000 was going to be released i was hyped . Cause i heard it would be the same transmission style as the 700 but with 6 gears and high and low. . Then it hit. Would of really liked to see that setup

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Up until I bought my 1000-3, I was a Yamaha guy. I had both Yamaha and Honda dirt bikes (2 strokes), and one Yamaha street bike (Seca 750), but preferred the Yamahas. None of my motorcycles ever gave me any problems. I also have run Yamaha outboards since the late 80's. Bought a nice used 23' Proline with a Yamaha 200 2 stroke. First time out, both batteries died, wouldn't start. Buddy who was with me (dealer I bought the boat from), asked if the tool kit was in the boat. I didn't even know it had a tool kit. Looked around, found the kit. There was a crank rope in it. Took the cowl off the motor and lo and behold in those days, Yamaha made a provision to crank outboards with a rope. Wrapped the rope around the crank sheave, turned the key on, choked it, pulled the rope one time and she busted off. I've never owned any other brand of large outboard since. Made the mistake of buying a 9.9 Mercury about 15 years ago for a small river skiff I had and had to walk back to the truck through the woods one day. I couldn't rid myself of that piece of junk quick enough. Bought a new 23' Hurricane deck boat in 1994 with a 200 Yamaha 2 stroke on it. In 26 years all I've done to it is replaced the water pump twice. Exclusively used in the Gulf of Mexico, never left me stranded. Bought my first ATV in the late 80's, a Yamaha Warrior. It was indestructible. I went in a lot of bad places with that thing, never left me stranded. Not too long after I got rid of the Warrior, bought a modified Banshee. What a beast. Eventually sold it to a guy that outran half the police force here on it one night. Then got a new Yamaha 350 Wolverine. Full time 4WD was a pain, bought a Warn unlocker kit for the front end, and rode the thing through these swamps for years. Never any problems other than a couple of nuisance carb issues. Then got a new 2007 Mule. I've owned it until this day. Had a minor carb issue the dealer could never fix (I fixed it), but other than that it's been carefree. Bought a 2006 Yamaha Banshee SE in 2010 I believe, did lots of mods to it, and until the last time it was ridden was problem free. My son was riding it a couple of months ago and it died. I think the coil went out on it, but haven't had the time or desire to check it and see. Bought my 2016 1000-3 used a couple years ago and haven't had a minutes problem with it.

Moral of the story. In my personal experience, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha, are all reliable, well engineered machines. I have owned them all, and they have all done me right.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I got into the original Honda Rubicon ownership during its 1st year. It sticks in my mind as an epic machine, and a rolling definition of why most of us used to buy Hondas. Smooth and seamless, despite having drum brakes, an open front end, full-time 4x4, and solid axle during the time when most MFG's were moving away from those things. It had its quirks, but it was awesome.
Issues with front end ending up causing a messy divorce, but until that moment, it was heaven.

Word came of the new "flagship" that turned out to be the Rincon. Suspension and handling of the gods, but with a confusing mission that seems to have been less utility than sport-ish. And that transmission was an odd choice that has always had critics. I test rode one and was amazed by the ride, but was unsure if it was what i needed, so i passed.
The 1st thing i thought afterwards was "man...Honda should drop the 500 Rubi in that chassis and that would be it". Never happened, of course, but what an awesome combo that would have been. They both live on, but the Rubi lost that magical tranny years ago, while the Rincon must be one of the hardest sells in the ATV world.

So what do you think is a machine that could have, or should have been made, but for whatever reason, never was?

ATV's, SxS's, Dirtbikes, or even street bikes...but real possibilities. Not twin turbo Rincon BS or something like that. Something that could have really happened.

For me, the 500/Rincon Chassis machine would have been so good, it's a shame they didn't make it.

EXACTLY ! I had a Rubicon and loved it but after a few days riding on Black Mountain In Harlan,KY I was sore. That strait axle was hard on the back. Got home and bought the Rincon for the rear independent suspension. Much better ride but not enough gears.IMO I still have that Rincon and a Rancher.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!