P700m4 Wheel Nets

Bboper70

Bboper70

Jun 9, 2015
Does anyone use wheel nets for keeping the machine tied down on an open flatbed trailer? Thinking of trying them and using etrack so that position can be changed, since i am not sure of where the best position is for proper weight distribution. MACS look good, but they are not cheap. Still, to lose a 15k machine would not be cheap either!
Thanks.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I use MACS, they are nice. I wanted versatility so I got the 24" axle straps with the 6' ratchets. Now I can run the axle straps through the wheels to tie down like you've mentioned or I can tie to the frame or bumpers. I can also use them for tractors, cars, etc.

I have tied by the wheels and it seemed to be good. Usually I prefer to tie so that it compresses the suspension.

As far as weight distribution, check the tongue weight capacity of your vehicle and do not exceed that. You also do not want a 50/50 weight split. It will wander all over the road. The same will happen if you load it too heavy on the back.

I typically drive on the trailer until my truck levels out. Most trucks ride higher in the back anyway. You don't want to load it so heavy that the rear of the truck is too low and the front is pointed up.

I hope this helps.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use MACS, they are nice. I wanted versatility so I got the 24" axle straps with the 6' ratchets. Now I can run the axle straps through the wheels to tie down like you've mentioned or I can tie to the frame or bumpers. I can also use them for tractors, cars, etc.

I have tied by the wheels and it seemed to be good. Usually I prefer to tie so that it compresses the suspension.

As far as weight distribution, check the tongue weight capacity of your vehicle and do not exceed that. You also do not want a 50/50 weight split. It will wander all over the road. The same will happen if you load it too heavy on the back.

I typically drive on the trailer until my truck levels out. Most trucks ride higher in the back anyway. You don't want to load it so heavy that the rear of the truck is too low and the front is pointed up.

I hope this helps.

/\
|
|
What he said, however I do like to compress the suspension to give me a more stable load, a shifting or dynamic load is a less stable load.
Compressing the suspension also gives me a slightly lower center of mass for the load, making it more stable. Think jacked up Jeep vs a Indy car, which corners better?

For an example lay a half full coke bottle on its side and watch the liquid move around as someone else is driving. As they accelerate, stop, and corner the center of mass of the liquid "coke" moves around much the same way as the center of mass WANTS to do on your Pioneer. Except the coke is a liquid (extremely dynamic load) so it can flow freely to relocate its center of mass inline with the line of gravity and your Pioneer is plastic and steel and can't flow to relocate its center of mass, but its center of mass still tries, because physics is a law you can't break.

Feel free to use "pop" or "soda".

Bboper70

Bboper70

Jun 9, 2015

I hope this helps.

/\
|
|
What he said, however I do like to compress the suspension to give me a more stable load, a shifting or dynamic load is a less stable load.
Compressing the suspension also gives me a slightly lower center of mass for the load, making it more stable. Think jacked up Jeep vs a Indy car, which corners better?

For an example lay a half full coke bottle on its side and watch the liquid move around as someone else is driving. As they accelerate, stop, and corner the center of mass of the liquid "coke" moves around much the same way as the center of mass WANTS to do on your Pioneer. Except the coke is a liquid (extremely dynamic load) so it can flow freely to relocate its center of mass inline with the line of gravity and your Pioneer is plastic and steel and can't flow to relocate its center of mass, but its center of mass still tries, because physics is a law you can't break.

Feel free to use "pop" or "soda".

Thanks, i can see your point! As high as the machine sits it could certainly be an issue. I had been looking at etrack with wheel nets, but i think you have chenged my mind. Thats why i have been asking the questions! Again, thanks!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's what I like about this forum. The things that I say or the things that other people say are not the gospel but at least you can get on here and see what other people do and help make a decision on what you would like to do. Let us know what you get and how well it works.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking at E-Track for the enclosed trailer I'm building into a ToyHauler. May have it welded to the walls and floor frame.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I also use E track for my equipment trailer. Welding it to the walls would be a good idea. I have mine screwed to the walls and I used self drilling screws to hit the steel studs in the walls. Even with that, I like to put a load lock on the E track right next to the location where the ratchet straps connect. The ratcheting load locks pushes the tracks hours and as a lot of strength. Next time I load something in that trailer I'll take a picture of it. Here's a picture with out the load lock on the Etrack but you can get the idea

0fe737aaa7c20a1c4fc264b7b1bb8d0b

And yes the pioneer will fit in there. It's got a 90" verticle opening and 84" between the wheel wells. I put the rings in the floor just incase I haul the pioneer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also use E track for my equipment trailer. Welding it to the walls would be a good idea. I have mine screwed to the walls and I used self drilling screws to hit the steel studs in the walls. Even with that, I like to put a load lock on the E track right next to the location where the ratchet straps connect. The ratcheting load locks pushes the tracks hours and as a lot of strength. Next time I load something in that trailer I'll take a picture of it. Here's a picture with out the load lock on the Etrack but you can get the idea

0fe737aaa7c20a1c4fc264b7b1bb8d0b

And yes the pioneer will fit in there. It's got a 90" verticle opening and 84" between the wheel wells. I put the rings in the floor just incase I haul the pioneer.

Where I'm getting the trailer will weld it in when its build I figured it'd add a lot of structural rigidity to the trailer box, as well as give me a very flexible tie down ability. I will be able to use the trailer for more than just a ToyHauler if need be. I lose the cross bars when I was looking at the E-track, I've used something similar before in loading full sized trailers to divide cargo and keep it in place.

Ordering a 8' door opening and a 28x8.5 wide trailer. If I layout the front right I should be able to carry a 50" unit in the future for the kids and a 1000 easy and have room for the whole family to sleep. It will be aluminum frame so light enough to load up and still be under 10k

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That would be sweet. One problem though.... That half ton truck of yours won't be pulling a 28 foot trailer. Maybe the pioneer 1000 will have enough guts to pull the trailer for you!

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"SUPPOSEDLY" 9600lb tow rating and I'll have a different truck by the time I add the 50" unit.

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!