P1000 Where to mount coolant temp sensor

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have only had my ‘16 P1k5 about a year now. Last summer, after my first long mountain trail about 11,000‘ elev, my radiator was overheating. I cleaned, purged air, etc, but didn’t really help. So, I installed a 2nd radiator fan to help push the air thru the stock cooling system. And, on the one journey I took after that, it seemed to have taken care of the overheating problem. I hope. But, to watch the coolant temperature closer this summer, I just purchased a digital temp gauge to go in the coolant line. But, I have not decided which line to cut into and mount. The inlet to radiator, or the outlet, back to the engine. Here is the diagram from the service manual.

My thought is that if I install in the return line back to the engine, I can see the actual coolant temperature going back to the engine, and see how well the radiator, and new cooling fan are working.
But, on the other hand, if I install it in the radiator feed line, it will show the coolant temperature coming from the engine and thermostat, which I can then compare to the digital bar graph on the multifunction display.

This is the temperature indicator I will be installing. I got one for a 1” (25mm) ID coolant hose. I will just stick it to the dash somewhere near me.

thoughts?

thanks,
Tom

Reactions: CID
C

Clubby9050

Jul 25, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have only had my ‘16 P1k5 about a year now. Last summer, after my first long mountain trail about 11,000‘ elev, my radiator was overheating. I cleaned, purged air, etc, but didn’t really help. So, I installed a 2nd radiator fan to help push the air thru the stock cooling system. And, on the one journey I took after that, it seemed to have taken care of the overheating problem. I hope. But, to watch the coolant temperature closer this summer, I just purchased a digital temp gauge to go in the coolant line. But, I have not decided which line to cut into and mount. The inlet to radiator, or the outlet, back to the engine. Here is the diagram from the service manual.

View attachment 202669
My thought is that if I install in the return line back to the engine, I can see the actual coolant temperature going back to the engine, and see how well the radiator, and new cooling fan are working.
But, on the other hand, if I install it in the radiator feed line, it will show the coolant temperature coming from the engine and thermostat, which I can then compare to the digital bar graph on the multifunction display.

This is the temperature indicator I will be installing. I got one for a 1” (25mm) ID coolant hose. I will just stick it to the dash somewhere near me.

thoughts?

thanks,
Tom
I plan to do the same thing. Did you complete this and how do you like it?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 202669

thoughts?

thanks,
Tom
If you can, post pics of the install. Will you also have a dash mounted gauge?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!