BOX1

BRed 09 Big Red Fuel Injection Problem

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
So it has gradually gotten to this point. Sometimes it would start. Sometimes it wouldn't. You could try it 5 minutes later and it would start. Anyway now it will not start. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump...but when I crank the motor will not fire. I checked all fuses. I've even swapped the Pgm-fi control box. I pulled the fuel injector. When you turn the key fuel is getting to the injector, just not spraying. I put this injector on my rincon and it does spray when cranked. Can't figure out what to check or look at next. I found a cut wire on top of the fuel pump that a mouse had chewed. I spliced it back together. Even though it's getting fuel to the injector could it be a weak fuel pump? Any help would be appreciated.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Did you see if there is voltage on the injector plug while your turning it over. Sounds like the injector is good so it either not getting 12 volts to make it squirt or there is no pressure. If its not getting a pulsing 12v while your cranking it then the problem is not the fuel pump.

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
Allgm1 I'm not sure what I did but it's back running now. I pulled every fuse to check them again. I got my test light and with the injector unplugged I took the connector and tested the wires. When the key is on one of the wires was hot. I didn't check to see how much volts it was reading. When it was plugged into the injector both wires were hot if I remember correctly. I didnt check to see if it was pulsing when it was cranking. I wish I would have. When I connected everything back up and holding the injector in my hand it would spray on the initial crank and nothing else. I could stop cranking and start again and it would again spray on the initial crank. Ive been working on this for 3 days and the battery was getting weak. I noticed when the battery was getting really weak it started spraying on every crank. When I connected a battery charger to it it would go back to spraying on the initial crank. I decided to put everything back together and it started. So I haven't determined what exactly the problem was but it has started 10 out of 10 tries.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
It may be programed to only spray a little bit to get started, then if the computer doesn't see that the engine is running it stops to avoid flooding? They may have provided a +12v to the injector constant while the key is on and pulse the negative to it. It must have had some corrosion built up on a contact somewhere,and when you unplugged and re plugged things (fuse?) that make a better connection. Glad you got her going again.

Reactions: Tflynn
E

Elguano

Jul 4, 2021
Ottawa
Ownership

1. Big Red
So did you ever found out what was the issue? Am having almost the same thing

E

Elguano

Jul 4, 2021
Ottawa
Ownership

1. Big Red
Found it, battery was just low, would get spark , engine turnover well but no enought for the ecu to send the signal to the injector… ;)

Reactions: Mudwing