highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks to Richard (Hondasxs) for letting me upgrade my vendor support membership. This forum is the best I've been a part of so vendor support was easy. I like the fact that Richard runs this forum himself and not some company that owns an collection of forums.

For those new here or don't know me, my real name is Brian Young from Southwest Louisiana and I've been a member here since 2020 after I bought my 2019 Talon X. It didn't take me long to like what I saw here so I became a supporting vendor with my very small business, 10-80 Dirtsports.

About the business and my designs.
In April of 2019 I cranked up this little online business selling R2C air filters at first, then expanded to Desertcraft air filters and Jemco RZR cargo boxes. Sales weren't super great at firts but there's a lot of competition out there in cyberspace. But, eventually sales increased enough to make this worthwhile.

During the long Easter weekend of 2020, I decided to try to make something of my own. All weekend was spent in my workshop making some UHMW front a-arm guards for my Talon. First I mocked up everything with cardboard, then cut the plastic, heated and bent it to fit. That was all the spark I needed to get my imagination running wild!

In June of 2020 I decided to make a better shifter plate that retained the notches. I wanted this because after using a CA Tech plate for a while I thought the safety factor of the notches was worth the convenience of direct Low or High to Reverse. These Honda transmissions don't lock into gear as well as Polaris does so knocking it out of gear is easier done. Surprsingly the shifter plated didn't take long at all to design. The first design was produced in August and by December I had some small revisions mainly for cosmetics. The Talon shifter plates have been selling well since then.

After the Talon shifter plate success, I focused on a Pioneer 1000 shifter plate. Even with the Talon design as a starting point, the Pioneer shifter plate had it's challenges. It took 3 tries to get the design nailed down. That's 3 times of removing and installing the dash panel to test fit and function!! That wasn't fun! But I got the design figured out and left the first prototype on the donor machine. A few weeks later the owner, a local farmer, mentioned how much better he liked my shifter plate than the Honda plastic. That floored me because farmers are nearly utilitarian owners. They don't splurge on bling or accessories. So I thought if a farmer likes this shifter plate then surely other recreational riders will too. And I was off to the races having these laser cut for sales.

I should mention here that near my home is a company that was founded on building ATV racks in the 80's. They have grown big over time and I've know the owner since I was a little kid. I approached them about laser cutting and powder coating my shifter plates and they said sure, no problem. Having a high quality manufacturer with CNC equipment 5 miles from my house is a blessing in many ways. Not everyone has such an opportunity literally in their back yard. This shop has been great to work with and I appreciate that they never forgot what it's like to start out from scratch.

So now I have the shifter plates for Honda's 1000 side by sides going and selling. They aren't flying off the shelves form online orders but I can't complain. During January of 2021, I have this bright idea to design some kind of under seat storage for the Talons. They offer very little factory storage and could use more space. Since I have a Talon X, I jump into mocking up a storage box for the driver seat with foam core board. This works great because it's rigid but can be sliced and easily bent. In one weekend the foam box came together but I didn't have a lid for it. It took weeks to find a lid that would work with the constraints of the seat frame. With the design complete, I made some drawings, sent the design to the shop and the X2-d box was born. The very first prototype fit perfectly under the seat! With that design complete, I located a very cool guy that let me borrow his X4 for measurements to design boxes for the 4 seat Talon X. He wasn't using the UTV at the moment so I was able to keep it for 2 months! I did the same designing with foam boxes and once complete I made drawings and sent to the shop for cutting. After several tweaks on the construction technique of the boxes, the overall design has not changed. They still fit perfectly where they are supposed to and offer the most usable storage possible for their locations. As far as I know I'm still the only person making under seat storage boxes for the Talon. The Talon X2-d box has been the best selling followed closely by the X4-p, large passenger seat box for X4. This box offers huge storage for an otherwise inaccessible, empty space left by Honda.

To be continued...

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Do you by chance have a link to a thread showing the involvement of installing the P1k shifter plate?
I only have written instructions but the basic process is to remove the dash. It takes a little while and 2 people works better. It's not a terrible job but there are a lot of fasteners to remove. It also depends on if you have a lot of accessories added to the dash.

Attachments

• DT-P1 installation instructions R0.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 160
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you didn't do this write up, I never would have known this existed.
Just placed an order. I want to replace the dash due to some misguided holes I drilled for the switch plate. This is the perfect opportunity to kill a few birds with one stone.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
If you didn't do this write up, I never would have known this existed.
Just placed an order. I want to replace the dash due to some misguided holes I drilled for the switch plate. This is the perfect opportunity to kill a few birds with one stone.
Awesome! I'll try to populate my forum more over the next few days. I'll probably start a thread per product and include photos, videos if available and answer questions. That will help keep thread topics organized hopefully.

All5Hondas

All5Hondas

Always Honda
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2019
Mountains
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks to Richard (Hondasxs) for letting me upgrade my vendor support membership. This forum is the best I've been a part of so vendor support was easy. I like the fact that Richard runs this forum himself and not some company that owns an collection of forums.

For those new here or don't know me, my real name is Brian Young from Southwest Louisiana and I've been a member here since 2020 after I bought my 2019 Talon X. It didn't take me long to like what I saw here so I became a supporting vendor with my very small business, 10-80 Dirtsports.

In April of 2019 I cranked up this little online business selling R2C air filters at first, then expanded to Desertcraft air filters and Jemco RZR cargo boxes. Sales weren't super great at firts but there's a lot of competition out there in cyberspace. But, eventually sales increased enough to make this worthwhile.

During the long Easter weekend of 2020, I decided to try to make something of my own. All weekend was spent in my workshop making some UHMW front a-arm guards for my Talon. First I mocked up everything with cardboard, then cut the plastic, heated and bent it to fit. That was all the spark I needed to get my imagination running wild!

In June of 2020 I decided to make a better shifter plate that retained the notches. I wanted this because after using a CA Tech plate for a while I thought the safety factor of the notches was worth the convenience of direct Low or High to Reverse. These Honda transmissions don't lock into gear as well as Polaris does so knocking it out of gear is easier done. Surprsingly the shifter plated didn't take long at all to design. The first design was produced in August and by December I had some small revisions mainly for cosmetics. The Talon shifter plates have been selling well since then.

After the Talon shifter plate success, I focused on a Pioneer 1000 shifter plate. Even with the Talon design as a starting point, the Pioneer shifter plate had it's challenges. It took 3 tries to get the design nailed down. That's 3 times of removing and installing the dash panel to test fit and function!! That wasn't fun! But I got the design figured out and left the first prototype on the donor machine. A few weeks later the owner, a local farmer, mentioned how much better he liked my shifter plate than the Honda plastic. That floored me because farmers are nearly utilitarian owners. They don't splurge on bling or accessories. So I thought if a farmer likes this shifter plate then surely other recreational riders will too. And I was off to the races having these laser cut for sales.

I should mention here that near my home is a company that was founded on building ATV racks in the 80's. They have grown big over time and I've know the owner since I was a little kid. I approached them about laser cutting and powder coating my shifter plates and they said sure, no problem. Having a high quality manufacturer with CNC equipment 5 miles from my house is a blessing in many ways. Not everyone has such an opportunity literally in their back yard. This shop has been great to work with and I appreciate that they never forgot what it's like to start out from scratch.

So now I have the shifter plates for Honda's 1000 side by sides going and selling. They aren't flying off the shelves form online orders but I can't complain. During January of 2021, I have this bright idea to design some kind of under seat storage for the Talons. They offer very little factory storage and could use more space. Since I have a Talon X, I jump into mocking up a storage box for the driver seat with foam core board. This works great because it's rigid but can be sliced and easily bent. In one weekend the foam box came together but I didn't have a lid for it. It took weeks to find a lid that would work with the constraints of the seat frame. With the design complete, I made some drawings, sent the design to the shop and the X2-d box was born. The very first prototype fit perfectly under the seat! With that design complete, I located a very cool guy that let me borrow his X4 for measurements to design boxes for the 4 seat Talon X. He wasn't using the UTV at the moment so I was able to keep it for 2 months! I did the same designing with foam boxes and once complete I made drawings and sent to the shop for cutting. After several tweaks on the construction technique of the boxes, the overall design has not changed. They still fit perfectly where they are supposed to and offer the most usable storage possible for their locations. As far as I know I'm still the only person making under seat storage boxes for the Talon. The Talon X2-d box has been the best selling followed closely by the X4-p, large passenger seat box for X4. This box offers huge storage for an otherwise inaccessible, empty space left by Honda.

To be continued...
Hi, nice job. Curious - I also have a 19X, wondering how this storage under the driver seat works with the slider.....two drivers, one 5 ft and one 6 ft, the slider is absolutely necessary :)

Reactions: Squeegee
Z

zack2309

Aug 8, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

To be continued...
Awesome post dude. I have two more ideas you need to run with.1. A great way to get the heat and out of the 1000-5 and keep it out. 2. A thick foam padding for the roll cage parts that passengers could come into contact with

Reactions: ChadD and Squeegee
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Sales are going very well this summer! Here's a screenshot taken today of ship to states for the last 30 days.

The Talon Intake Pre-filter Kit is by far the best selling product. I'm working my rear off trying to keep up with demand!
SHIP TO STATES 6 28 THRU 7 27

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'll also be adding more automations to the website to help me streamline whatever I can. The website works OK now, but I think I can make a few improvements.

Paid app add-ons do help a little. I think I finally figured out the bundle products app that will help me keep track of intake tubes, pre-filters and filter covers stock. If this will continue to work accurately it will be a huge help for me. I'll also be able to assembly other special bundles with built in discounts.

All of this is very time consuming considering I still have a day job!!

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Sales are going very well this summer! Here's a screenshot taken today of ship to states for the last 30 days.

The Talon Intake Pre-filter Kit is by far the best selling product. I'm working my rear off trying to keep up with demand!
View attachment 345904
Mine arrived yesterday, looks great!

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hat's off to ya sir for acting on your ideas and figger'n out how to make 'em work!! I hope you have to quit your day-job to keep up with your "real" job!! So much more fun when you work at your hobby!!
God Bless,
Slick

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!